jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How long two people should be in a relationship before getting married?

1. dinkan53 profile image78
    dinkan53posted 5 years ago

How long two people should be in a relationship before getting married?

2. Jessi10 profile image76
    Jessi10posted 5 years ago

I do not think that there is a "right" amount of time. Some people get married after 2 years of dating, others after 5 months of dating. When you feel comfortable enough. and when you know that the person is the right one for you, then you should get married. However, you shouldnt pressure yourself to be ready before you actually are..

1. dinkan53 profile image78
      dinkan53posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is 2 years or 5 months enough to know if he or she is the right one for you?

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on the couple.  I knew my husband 3 months when we married and we are still married 42 years later.  My daughter went with her husband 18 months before getting married 12 years ago and they are still married.

But we laugh talking about how you really don't know someone until you marry them.  Even after 18 months there were surprises.

So it totally depends on the two people, how open they are are, how they communicate.  I will tell you this when you are in love, really in love, nothing will keep you from that person - you would walk thru fire for them.  You just know.

4. dinkan53 profile image78
    dinkan53posted 5 years ago

Yes, I think a relationship before marriage should be encouraged as it allows the partners to know each other. People have yet not accepted this form of relationship widely. For example country like India is not ready to accept those kind of relationships, as people of India usually follow arranged marriage system. Parents found suitable partners for their children from proper families.Good arranged marriages happen when the parents help their children to find their own partners according to their own desires. One of the drawback I see in relationsships before marriage is one partner, as he or she is free with out any resposibilities can misuse it by changing partners constantly.

working