jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is thirty the new twenty?

1. smlbizmatters profile image70
    smlbizmattersposted 5 years ago

Is thirty the new twenty?

TImes are changing and I've noticed that just as many as my friends and associates are married there are just as many single and don't have a serious interest in marriage right now. What are your thoughts

2. EuroCafeAuLait profile image84
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 5 years ago

I think so!!!  Maybe as people live longer or as many women make it a priority to become educated and widen their horizons through travel and other activities, the trend to marry at the brink of adulthood has shifted to a later time frame.

1. smlbizmatters profile image70
      smlbizmattersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I definitely think life expectancy and education play a major role in the holding off on marriage. I also believe that there is so much societial emphasis on "having it together" before marriage but who really ever has it "all together".

3. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

With one of my sons being thirty and my daughter being twenty-seven, I really think thirty is the new twenty-five (more grown up than twenty;  sort of but not completely established; still very young and yet mature).

Now, on the other hand...   Forty is the new thirty-three, fifty is the new thirty nine-to-forty-one,  fifty-five is definitely the new forty-four - and sixty is the new thirty-seven.  (See how it all works?   smile )

4. girlgonestrong profile image59
    girlgonestrongposted 5 years ago

I think so.  Especially for young men who seem to be "frozen in time" during their twenties these days.  Instead of manning up and taking the bull of life by the horns, they are content to pander their life away playing video games.  They eventually wake up, but that's often close to the age of 30 and by then they are behind the power curve where building a life and reaching the milestones which people expect to achieve at certain points in their lives.

The good news is that if people actively pursue healthy living, the possibility of extending vibrant lifespan (even to 120) is very possible in our day and age which means that mid-life would be 60 and getting the machine into high gear at 30 instead of 23 or 24 won't be such a big issue.  Unfortunately, the health of most people is becoming chronically poorer instead of better because of choices they make (primarily in diet) and so the lifespans of the vast majority of those living in Western nations these days will probably end up being shorter than their grandparents and great grandparents. 

Even worse, the last 10-15 years of their shortened life are going to be miserable and wouldn't even be possibly if no propped up with pharmaceuticals.  So those last years are not going to be "full and happy" which is a real shame.