Women, are you the prissy, yuck don't touch that type, or do you mind a little s

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Charlu profile image77
    Charluposted 11 years ago

Women, are you the prissy, yuck don't touch that type, or do you mind a little sweat and dirt?

Let's face it takes all types to make the world a fun place. So which one are you and do you think it is because of the way you were raised or has it changed since you got older?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6595430_f260.jpg

2. clairemy profile image77
    clairemyposted 11 years ago

I am a have a go at most things type of girl, and no it is nothing to do with how I was bought up, just.....a little dirt never hurt anyone!

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I'm somewhere in between.  I don't like being dirty but can get out and do the work I need to do. I used to muck out stalls, etc. I do admit as I have gotten older, I am more picky about being dirty or messy.

That is how I am about my person - but my house - forget it, anything goes.  We have 3 dogs, dirt and hair are just a part of the decor.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL--we have 6 resident cats, and we also foster kittens until they are old enough for adoption.  That said, our current cat-count stands at 9---we've arrived at "cat hair is a condiment."  LOL

2. Charlu profile image77
      Charluposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have 5 dogs and 2 horses, vacuum everyday and it still seems like I never can come close to getting it all. Now with it being so dry the dust is terrible, but I wouldn't change my pets out for anything!

3. kathyjones1952@at profile image61
      kathyjones1952@atposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never was much of a housekeeper, I hate to say, and I have a little dog I keep in the house a lot.  I know where you're coming from!

4. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

It depends on what I am going or where I am going. I don't mind getting dirty, it's only dirt and can be washed off.  As a mom, you have to expect to get dirty. Kids love it.

5. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 11 years ago

Why do you think we have soap and water?  Bring on the dirt!!

6. blessedp profile image79
    blessedpposted 11 years ago

It really takes all types to make the world unique.  Well I am the type that don't mind getting a little sweat and dirt now and then especially when things need to be done.  Reason being I think is my childhood and how I was brought up.

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Ok.  I'll say it.   If it's dirty and I have to deal with it, there'll either be sandwich bags or else plasttic grocery bags over my hands (and maybe arms up to the elbows).  It doesn't stop me from working in the yard, and it certainly never stopped me from changing diapers, litter boxes, cleaning up pet vomit, moving dead cats, picking up mice heads in the yard, or whatever else I seem destined to clean in a life among a lot of people who'll leave such things rather than deal with them.  BUT, there'll be those bags on my hands when I do (or else, I'm very careful about how I do some things).

It wasn't how I was raised.  My mother was more relaxed about dirty stuff.  My father, on the other hand, wouldn't eat oranges, even though he liked them, because they're so sticky and messy.  I love oranges and orange juice, but I won't deal with oranges either.  My kids were too little to have been "raised any way" when they'd be sitting in their car seats, holding out their open hands, and making a sound to let me know they wanted their hands cleaned off.  With two sons and a daughter, my daughter was the one who was most fuss-budgety over getting her hands dirty (although she was good natured about it).

I think it's inherited. I work with it and work around it, but I won't be doing any mud wrestling in the near future.

Hi Lisa  At least your honest about it and what needs to get done, gets done, not waiting on someone else. I have several friends that are the same way and just shake their heads as to how I can get so dirty. Thanks for your great, honest, answer.

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Nothing wrong with a little dirt.  I was a mudpie expert as a kid.  ;-)
    If you are a germophobe, when one little germ makes its way through your pristine "defenses," you are going to get much sicker than you would if you had allowed a little dirt in your life, because you'll have built up no immunity!
    Exposure to germs is required to build future immunity to them--so not letting your kid get dirty or play in the dirt is doing them a disservice over the long term.

I loved making mud pies as a kid and am so glad to hear I'm not alone:)) It does seem like those afraid to get dirty are sometimes more on the sickly side hmmmm Thanks for a great answer

9. Blond Logic profile image94
    Blond Logicposted 11 years ago

I live on a farm and Brazil, and everyday I encounter sand, dirt, fish guts, chicken, dog  or goat poop and a 101 other 'dirty' things. This is what life is about. Not some ultra clean sterilized environment that you have killed every known living organism.

I am healthier now than I was living in a 'clean' environment.

I don't squeal about spiders, snakes, wasps, or vultures. They are here and do their part in the Eco-system. Everyone should live on a farm to get a touch of reality back.

For me, I think I always wanted this 'mucky' hands on environment. I always felt like something was missing in my life until now.

10. kathyjones1952@at profile image61
    kathyjones1952@atposted 11 years ago

I don't mind a little sweat and dirt, myself.  I've always considered myself a tomboy.  I noticed your profile picture, btw, and I also do a lot of horseback riding smile.  I have my own horse, a Quarter Horse Mare named "Mamma" and I also volunteer at a therapeutic riding center here in town.

Hi Kathy So glad to hear from another horse person. So your not afraid of a little dirt, muck, sweat, etc. The picture is of my mare Sky (2 light blue eyes) and I also have her daddy Gemini who is a paint Sounds great volunteering and thanks

2. kathyjones1952@at profile image61

I've been around horses since I was 7 years old and I'm now 60!  We had a farm out here when my parents were living and we had cattle and horses.  We also had a few mules.  When I was a baby, we had pigs, sheep, and a few chickens out here.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello, fellow tomboy!  I was never into dolls, and would just as soon climb a tree, or muck around with my dad tinkering on the car.  If I hadn't developed a bad knee--I'd climb trees to this day!  ;-)

4. kathyjones1952@at profile image61

I had a few dolls but not as many as my oldest sister did.

5. Charlu profile image77

Kathy the farm sounds so awesome. I'm 55 and used to help at a dairy farm/stables at 15. I don't remember having one doll and I think that was my mom trying to prissy me up when I was about 7 yrs old. It didn't work.
      Ms Lizzy ditto on the tree/knee

6. kathyjones1952@at profile image61

A girl told me one time that her husband worked on a race horse farm when they lived in California.  She was going on about what a dirty job it was and I said, "Well, I can always get a bath!"  LOL!!!!

11. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 11 years ago

I definitely don't mind getting a little dirty. Where's the fun in staying in pristine condition all the time?

I'm currently an art student, and I've never really had a problem with getting my hands or clothes dirty while working (once the substance isn't too stinky). It's part of the joy of being an artist. I've had my hands dyed all colours (they're currently recovering from being in blue dye!), covered in clay, paint, chalks - everything!

I remember a while back in art class, when we were doing clay for the first time, a lot of girls were fussing that the clay smelt 'gross' and was getting under their nails. Personally, I love dealing with clay, even though my creations aren't always perfect. Playing with the clay and getting messy is more than half the fun!

To be honest, while I love having a pretty manicure, it never lasts long, because I'm always doing something with my hands!

I don't think art is supposed to be perfect, that's what makes us appreciate different artists:) If every painting was an exact replica of its subject the artist wouldn't matter. Sounds like your art is lots of fun. Any hubs with some of your work?

2. Cardia profile image75
      Cardiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, not yet, but I am thinking of creating one shortly! smile

3. Charlu profile image77

Don't forget to post it when you do. I would love to see some of it. Have you ever tried selling any of it or is it strictly for fun? I always wanted to try clay and making pots just never have..hmmm

12. christin53 profile image84
    christin53posted 11 years ago

I was raised by an obsessively clean mother so I do find I don't like being dirty. It doesn't stop me doing what needs to be done but I can't wait to get clean again.

13. libby1970 profile image69
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

I don't mind getting dirty. I'm a female that's been in the army where I had to crawl under barb wire in mud and live fire zooming over my head. I look like I'd probably squirm at dirt but I'm a tom boy through and through... lol

I will wash my hands afterwards but I don't mind getting dirty!!! It's fun sometimes! I love to go four wheeler riding and get all muddy! It's so fun!!!

First let me say thank you for your service in the army,and that it will always be appreciated. #2 I LOVE 4 wheeling and getting all muddy. You know you've had a good time when you take off your glasses and its the only 2 white spots on you.

2. libby1970 profile image69
      libby1970posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! You don't know what fun is until you experience a four wheeler ride in the woods where there's more mud holes than dry road!!!

14. Melindas Mind profile image66
    Melindas Mindposted 11 years ago

In between. I'm not so big on being dirty, but if something is going on that's fun, or necessary, and I'm gonna get dirty I don't make a fuss. I've been known to play king of the hill in the mud, and I had a blast. lol

Bring on the mud. It seems we have a few women who would like to  jump on a 4 wheeler or swamp buggy and go play in the MUD!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)