jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

How to decline wedding invites from people I don't know without making up excuse

1. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 5 years ago

How to decline wedding invites from people I don't know without making up excuses (lies)?

I have been invited to weddings for people I don't know well and don't want to just ignore the invites or offer up a lie as an excuse. I have gone down this road before and out of a fear of offending them I went. My beau and I both don't drink and we don't dance and these things drag on and on for hours. What should I do if I simply don't want to go when we don't know either bride or groom well? Is there any way to be honest and not offend?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Why would you turn down a wedding? It's a chance to see individuals happy and satisfied with life. If anything, it's uplifting. Decend food and cake as well.

1. Marsha Musselman1 profile image85
      Marsha Musselman1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, but if you are going to eat the food and cake then it's expected that you will give a gift as well. I would just send the RSVP back and say you are not attending. No explanation is necessary.

2. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Gifts aren't difficult. Finding something to wear is the hard part.

3. Suzie HQ profile image96
    Suzie HQposted 5 years ago

I don't think there is a way to perhaps being honest in this situation, without telling a little white lie. If you really want to decline i would send the r.s.v.p back with something along the lines of " Thank you so much for including us in your wedding on 2nd of July 2012 but unfortunately we are unable to attend on this date but would like to take this opportunity to wish you both a wonderful day and future together."

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Send a nice card and simply tell them you cannot attend on that date.  You don't have to explain yourself to them.  If you can't go, you can't go,  They will be busy enough on their big day, it likely won't bother them as much as it bothers you.

5. Marsha Musselman1 profile image85
    Marsha Musselman1posted 4 years ago

If you don't know them very well, then the only reason I can see for them sending an invitation is that they are looking for gifts. Unless of course, they know your family or something like that.

1. Express10 profile image87
      Express10posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I got that impression & I just felt very awkward as a result. I didn't know either of them very well. I think a time to get to know someone would be anywhere but a wedding. I think of that as a sacred time for close friends and family only.

working