jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Silence is better then words, in an argument. do you agree? why so?

1. dghbrh profile image78
    dghbrhposted 5 years ago

Silence is better then words, in an argument. do you agree? why so?

In any argument if you chose words then you loose the person. If it is very serious then you may loose seriously. So what should one choose, silence or words? in case of friend? in case of spouse? what is your view?

2. GypsyFootedWoman profile image75
    GypsyFootedWomanposted 5 years ago

In the middle of an argument using either as a “tactic” may only serve to escalate the problem. Open and honest communication when cooler heads are prevailing is one of the best ways to make sure you are heard and that they feel you have heard them. This works for all relationships, I speak about this in my Hub, How to have a great relationship. Good question.

dghbrhposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks @ GypsyFootedWoman for responding
      I cant agree more
      I will follow your hub for sure.

3. LaThing profile image75
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

I agree whole heartedly, but do I practice it? Unfortunately not! The whole concept of 'having the last word' takes over! smile

You are very right. But if we can control at the right moment then a friend is won and a better situation will prevail in case of spouse.
      Thanks for responding, LaThing:-) have a nice day ahead.

4. movielardatadare profile image45
    movielardatadareposted 5 years ago

This is so true.  Silence is most of the time better than words in an argument.  However, there are times when you have to argue back.  Not to brag, but I have a genius sense of knowing which arguments to say something and fire back and then which arguments to not care about.  There has to be a distinction between fireback arguments and ignorable arguments.  Fireback arguments are those which you better say something back or the person will punk you.  An example of a fireback argument is if your boss tells you you're not doing your job when you actually are.  Don't let your boss punk you!  Stand up for yourself and tell your boss that you're doing your job well.  Fireback arguments exist also with your friend or your spouse.  Ignorable arguments are those which you can just ignore.  Say like if your girlfriend tells you to answer her phone when she's in the shower.  However, you don't feel like it because it's one of her annoying friends that you just can't stand.  Don't argue.  Let her vent.  Then when the phone rings next time, don't answer it!  You're not a recording.  Anyway, silence is best in an argument.  However, make sure you determine whether that argument is a fireback argument or an ignorable argument.

Thanks for your kind reply.
      I agree with your view.

working