jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever disliked your partner's family ?.If so how did you deal with it

1. iwriteforyou profile image73
    iwriteforyouposted 5 years ago

Have you ever disliked your partner's family ?.If so how did you deal with it

2. Relationshipc profile image88
    Relationshipcposted 5 years ago

I dislike them right now. They are rude, egotistic, and mean to my husband (not to mention mean towards me). They think only about themselves, and often make me cry at how poorly they treat my husband. I really don't care how they treat me, but he is from Italy, and they are his only family here.

Because I am not Italian, they do not like me. I know that sounds crazy in this day and age, but they are very old-school Italian and expected my husband to be with an old-school Italian girl. Not me.  Also, because they are so selfish and have really different ideas of what life is about, I do not relate to them.

How do I deal with it? Well, I've blown up and yelled at them. I've stopped visiting for a year or so. But then, I realized that they were all my husband has and if he is going to visit them, I want to be by his side.

I've learned to accept that they are who they are. They can't change. They can't be more warm, compassionate, loving, and thoughtful. Thy are stuck in a miserable negative world of anger and complaints, and I am just thankful that I am not like them. I try and see things from their side of things, from their viewpoints, and I just let them be who they are.

That doesn't mean I still don't get upset, but I don't get upset as much as I used to. Live and let live. That's about all I can do.

3. rebeccaac profile image61
    rebeccaacposted 5 years ago

i treated them the way they treated me....like shit
    no not really i would just cry and try to ignore em all, my ex man never even stood up for me

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. All they do is give drama. So we just stay away from them. We visit a few times a year instead of every week as they wish. I've learned not to bring up certain topics, visit for only a few hours or I will be too emotionally drained to leave, etc. Basically, I adapt.

working