jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Any advice and tips on how to get along well with in-laws?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image76
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Any advice and tips on how to get along well with in-laws?

In-laws are part of your bigger family because they are part of your husband/wife. I think most will agree that having in good terms with your in laws is positive.

What are some good tips and advices on how to get along well with your in laws?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I have a great tip. Live in a different State as your In-Laws. The farther the better.  smile

3. Good Guy profile image86
    Good Guyposted 5 years ago

Hi alexandriaruthk,

First I like you to know that I am past 60.  This is just my personal opinion.  You did not mention older in-laws or those of same age.  Older in-laws will feel very happy and respected if you were to ask for their opinion on whatever things in your mind. Those of the same age you must try to be diplomatic and humble.  Maybe these are only applicable to Asian societies. (LOL)

4. sangre profile image97
    sangreposted 5 years ago

Listen to what they say, even if you don't agree with them. In the beginning when your getting to know them, you have to stay neutral, voicing opinions can make a bad impression. 

After a while when you all get more comfortable with each other and like each other more then you can be your true self. Ensure you have boundaries in your relationship where neither party  surprises the other with unannounced visits. This can lead to annoyance.

Inlaws can be a great benefit to your life as they are like another family if you all get on well.  But if you don't get on, then go shopping the day they are visiting.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 5 years ago

Get to know them and their traditions then respect them.  Every family has their own way of doing things.  Learn what they are.  Be willing to share holidays and special occasions with your new family.  Try to divide the time fairly.  This is one of the hardest things for newlyweds to learn to do, and nobody tells you that.

Accept their help as long as there are no strings attached.  Remember you and your spouse are now a family as well.  Establish your own traditions, including both families as much as possible.

Best of luck.

6. Rosana Modugno profile image84
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

My tips are; always be true to who you are.  You don't have to fake it or kiss butt in order to be liked by your husband's family.  They will either like you or they won't and there won't be any amount of agreeing that will change that.

Stay true to your husband, love him, keep that relationship strong, which is your priority.  The rest falls into place on its own.  You have a new family now;  your husband and the life you make together.  The others are all secondary now.  The less they interfere, the better chances your marriage will last.

7. dobo700 profile image61
    dobo700posted 5 years ago

I try to go with as small a doses as posible. The less time the better.

8. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Be supportive and help whenever possible. It is good way to get along with in-laws. Open your ears as you will get along and knowing what to do next.