What inspires you to do something totally out of your comfort zone? When was the

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Charlu profile image77
    Charluposted 11 years ago

What inspires you to do something totally out of your comfort zone? When was the last time you did?

Sometimes jumping out of our comfort zone is tough.  What inspires you to take that first step and what did you do the last time you did?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7074922_f260.jpg

2. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 11 years ago

I do like to be in my "comfort" zone, don't we all...but yes, sometimes I will do something out of the ordinary. I am inspired by my will to be different, daring, and the challenge of knowing I can do it. The last time was a month ago.

Charluposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love your answer I think because it reminds me a little of me and I am usually the first one to go out on a limb.  Sometimes you just got to go for it because you never know when you'll hit it out of the park.
      Great answer

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Charlu, I know what you mean, you just have an impulse to do it. I'm usually not that daring, I always "try to do the right thing", but hey, sometime I surprise myself. Good question.

3. TravelAbout profile image67
    TravelAboutposted 11 years ago

Lately, it seems my everyday life has been out of my comfort zone but not by choice.  The saying, "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger" couldn't be more true.  I have learned a lot out of my comfort zone!

1. lupine profile image65

TravelAbout, this couldn't be more true. I have had so many strange things happen to me in the last year that I have had to deal with, its a wonder I can endure them. Anything that comes, I can deal with...this has strengthened my mind & will.

2. Charlu profile image77

I was just reading about patience in the things I want, or my service in life and was shocked/blessed to read that it's not my patience that matters it's my attitude and thinking while I'm doing it.  That way I'll be ready when it's time, by learning

4. Mom Kat profile image77
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

I've been stepping out of my comfort zone a lot the past 3 months.  I have realized that it is time for me to grow and develop more into the person I want to be rather than staying stuck and stagnant where I was.

My self awareness has motivated me.  My passion drives me.  My desires inspire me.  I will no longer watch as life passes me by ~ I will take the wheel and drive it where I want to go smile

Good for you...keep up the great thinking. We have to keep moving forward in a positive way to improve our future.

5. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 11 years ago

Circumstances if helping another person; automatic if helping an animal; gut instinct if something hits me for fun! Usually just do it--Nike's got it right--unless it's something sooooo frightening (very few times), I don't think til later, often a big mistake! Today, #1 - 2 days ago FUN!!-- didn't think and didn't realize so far from home so late until it didn't matter-point of no return! Good circumstances!  I love TravelAbout's answer--that's my usual!

I agree, you just have to do it! Hopefully you did the right thing.

2. Charlu profile image77

I love your attitude and the "Just Do If", but sometimes I need to look before I leap or I to get into trouble

6. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years ago

Joining hubpages and starting to write was totally out of my comfort zone.  I needed a new challenge in my life and decided that this was it.  I'm teaching myself all the ins and outs of writing my hubs and learning how to use tools on the computer more effectively.  I knew the basics starting out, but I have been learning all about things like SEOs and back links etc...Turns out that this middle aged girl can still learn some new things after all!

Ditto on the middle aged and still learning.  I actually think I learn more from my journey through life now than when I was younger.  Keep it up it works

2. teaches12345 profile image78
      teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agree with Glimmer, as we age, things that we know are good for us to step up or out and do, makes more sense in trying it.  It's just a positive attitude on life.

7. Rajan Dhir profile image65
    Rajan Dhirposted 11 years ago

It is about doing justice to the things (qualities) you have been blessed with. Whenever i feel that i have under-played to my strengths, it is about doing something to recover from the distress of not doing enough. How often do i do it? I try to lend my voice to the tasks I've been assigned with.

What a sensational answer to do justice and with what you have been blessed with.  We are all pieces of that big puzzle no matter how big or small we all become one in the end.  Thanks

8. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

I'm a little out of the ordinary and push myself or find myself out of my comfort zone almost every day.  I believe in LIVING life - not just existing.  In order to LIVE, you gotta go out of your comfort zone because that's where life starts. smile

I need to remember that more often and maybe a few others Thanks

9. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I was in a comfort zone when working for a company until I got out to strive on my own.

It was tough for the first few years until I managed it since it is my passion that I am working for myself.

That is quite an accomplishment edhan and talking about stepping out of your comfort zone that is definitely it.  You were obviously very focused and it worked!  Congrats

2. edhan profile image37
      edhanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It takes determination to achieve and support of family.

10. MazioCreate profile image67
    MazioCreateposted 11 years ago

I think everyone has a different comfort zone. Take me for instance, I'm quite happy to cycle up a mountain just because it is there. On the other hand, many people wouldn't even think of taking the first few pedal strokes because the enormity of the task takes them out of their comfort zone. The same would apply for me in different situations.

Many years ago I had to confront my fear of heights so I could study outdoor education. On my first "get to know you" and the course weekend I had to undertake a high (extremely high) ropes course. There was only one way to to it - go first.  Within seconds I was a lather of sweat and fearing for my existence with every step. Then I stopped, looked around at the tree canopy (that's how high I was) and finally acknowledged the safety harness I was wearing. From that point on I gained my confidence and let go of the debilitating fear of heights. So, in answer to your question, I suppose when I want to achieve a goal, I'll step outside my comfort zone.

That's one of my biggest fears is open heights. I can do planes, enclosed balconies, but leave it open and it's a big fat NO.  I like the way you accomplished your goal and mountain cycling.Sounds like you are quite the adventurous one.

11. KateWest profile image64
    KateWestposted 11 years ago

I've tried (at least once) rock climbing, indoor skydiving, martial arts, petting wolves, flying falcons, drumming, juggling, and scariest of all, improv. All of these things are outside my CZ but I did them to challenge myself and it didn't matter if I never went back to them.

That is soooooo awesome.  I can't even imagine petting wolves and flying falcons (animal nut)  I've never heard of indoor skydiving, that sounds very intriguing.  Always challenging yourself I think that is something I need to do more of.

12. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

My partner. He inspires me to do most things that I wouldn't do. Try hot sauce, ride on a motorcycle, go to a city I've never been to. He gets me to walk out of my organized comfort zone and changes all the rules that I'm used to.

Isn't it great to not only be inspired by that someone but have them to share it with.  Hot sauce, really??  I'll bet you love it.

2. lburmaster profile image71
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope. Can't stand the stuff. But he always comes up with a new restaurant that I've never been to, a movie which I've never seen, a reason to do something that I never considered before. Yes, I love it and wouldn't give it up for the world smile

13. mvillecat profile image68
    mvillecatposted 11 years ago

The need to feel excitement and joy again. After many years of horrific life events, I want to feel joy again.

I am so happy that you can feel joy and excitement in your life again.  Sometimes it takes some not so good events to appreciate the incredible ones and I'm sure you are blessed.

14. kenroy347 profile image59
    kenroy347posted 11 years ago

The desire to tell myself that I can do something different. The desire to challenge the system to see what it would be like.
    The last time I did was three weeks ago. I was very frustrated with my work. The job was unchallengeable and demotivating.  I knew it would hurt my boss but I looked in her face I told her just how I felt. I was reported.
    Called to answer for my action what did I do? Asked the director if he wanted to fire me. The end result!
    WE have become better friends since then.
    I guess I just felt like I was going no where and had to do something to  feel like I am worthwhile.

Seems like you had a lot on your mind, probably stressful thinking about it too much...good thing you let it out and turned out for the best. Sometimes we have to speak our mind to feel better, no matter the results. Welcome to hubpages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)