jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think child support enforcement agencies should issue monthly or quarterl

1. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

Do you think child support enforcement agencies should issue monthly or quarterly statements.

I had paid child support for years without ever receiving any type of documentation form the child support enforcement agency.  I requested a payment history after 7 years of making payments and after reviewing the document, I realized there was an error and that I had over paid by several thousand dollars.  Child support is a debt, it is on a obligors credit report, CSE should be required to send a statement out letting obligors know that payment was received and if they are in arrears what their balance is and how much interest they are being charged just like any other creditor.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I agree. If you are holding up to your end of the bargain they should send you a report monthly.

3. Mom Kat profile image78
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

Yes they should. 
    I get child support & I get monthly statements as to how much as been paid.
    It doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't send the information to both parties.
    If anything, I'm already getting it, so I know how much I've gotten - it would make more sense to give a copy to the person paying the support.

Also, there was a couple of times when I didn't get the amount for a given month.  When I called to see what was going on they asked me to for all of the father's information... excuse me? isn't that what they are there for?  What is it that they are doing in that government office anyway?
    So I called the father, since we are on good terms, and said that I knew it couldn't possibly be his fault because he always does such a good job making the payments... well, it was his fault.  He had forgotten to send the money that month.  He said he would send it in that week.
    The child support office charged me for "their work" in locating & obtaining the missing support!  Are you kidding me?  They did nothing & they charged both of us for it.
    The entire system needs to be fixed.  It's just crazy.

4. Rosana Modugno profile image83
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

I think it should be monthly, just like any other financial statement you get in the mail.

5. Matt Hatter profile image87
    Matt Hatterposted 5 years ago

I'm not familiar with child support laws in particular, or the reporting policies in your state, but given how most government agencies (especially the clerks' offices), I'm fairly certain you can request a payment history when ever you need one. Further, if you're paying from your checking account, you have a history, not only of your payments, but what checks were cashed and by whom. If you're paying by Money Order, et al., you have the receipts, which I'm certain you kept as they would be evidence in any trial. wink

6. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

The recipient receives a monthly statement, obligors should too, regardless of how well records are kept.  If that is the case, the recipient should just keep track of their payment receipt by just hanging on to their bank statements or by printing off their statement on line.  Even better, they should call in and request one like obligors have to.  I am sure I mentioned that one has to be requested, that was the point of the question.

working