jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Does your girlfriend, boyfriend, spouse get jealous of inanimate objects?

1. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 5 years ago

Does your girlfriend, boyfriend, spouse get jealous of inanimate objects?

My girlfriend gets jealous of my motorcycle or my computers claiming that I love them more than her.
    So how about the rest of my fellow hubbers does your other half get jealous of inanimate objects?
    Do you?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

I suspect your girlfriend is not jealous of inanimate objects as much as she feels she is further down your priority list than your motorcyle or computer.
    The underlying definition of jealousy is (fear that you love someone more than they love you).
    People watch the choices their mates make and compare them to the ones they would make in the same situation. If they aren't the same they question whether or not their mate loves them as much as they love their mate.
    For example a guy who is happy with spending every weekend with his girlfriend may become "jealous" when she insists on having weekend getaways with her girlfriends a couple of times a year. In his mind he knows he would not choose to leave her for the weekend to spend time with his buddies. Therefore this raises (questions) that may cause him to feel he loves her more than she loves him.
    Oftentimes this leads to arguments/fights between couples. The person who wants to do his/her own thing calls the other person jealous, paranoid, insecure, or needy.
    In reality there is no "right" or "wrong" there is only (agree) or (disagree). When two people want the same things and share the same values/beliefs about how a relationship works best there is rarely any jealousy because they have the same (priority list) when it comes to their wants for the relationship.
    Ultimately each of us is looking for someone who (naturally agrees) with us on the important things in life. If your mate gets upset over things you have no intention of giving up then it's possible she is just wrong (for you). On the other hand if she is the love of your life you might decide to do whatever it takes to reassure her that she is number one on your list of priorities.

1. Borsia profile image44
      Borsiaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The funny thing is that she loves to go places on the motorcycle and she loves to use one of the computers.
      She openly admits that she is jealous of them simply because I pay attention to them when she would rather I pay attention to her.

3. innerspin profile image91
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

I suspect it's the time you spend on these things that gets to her, not the objects themselves. It's easy to get caught up in a hobby and not realise another person may feel a bit left out. As you say, she enjoys going out on the bike - presumably that's with you. She enjoys time on the computer, maybe she feels she doesn't stay on as long as you do or get so engrossed. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong here, but sometimes a person is so absorbed by what they're doing, they'll ignore other people or grunt at them. The only similar thing I'd say is a Scrabble board game will keep the rest of my family gripped for ages while I hate the competetiveness. They take it very seriously!

4. Rebecca2904 profile image78
    Rebecca2904posted 5 years ago

I think maybe your girlfriend is feeling rather more neglected than jealous. I'm not sure it's truly possible to be jealous of a computer? It's not like you're going to run away and have an affair with it (although maybe she's worried you're talking to women online? But that's another issue entirely.)
    The other day my boyfriend asked me if I was jealous of the satnav because it was speaking in a woman's voice and he was calling it 'sweetie' but... no, not even a little bit haha.

1. freecampingaussie profile image60
      freecampingaussieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Be sad to be jealous of a satnav Lol !!

working