jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

What kinds of inanimate objects do you name?

1. neildabb profile image75
    neildabbposted 5 years ago

What kinds of inanimate objects do you name?

We give ships names, but what about cars, guns or other objects?  Does naming an object make it act differently?

2. Scorpio21 profile image79
    Scorpio21posted 5 years ago

Any, they don't mind XD

Not that i do personally, just couldn't resist saying that tongue

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image97
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

I actually did name my car (I talk to it too). I think giving it a name makes my car run better, but then I have a tendency to believe in animism (which isn't hard for a pagan to believe). Maybe I shouldn't be admitting that online huh? lol

4. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

There are those who say giving a vessel or locomotive gives 'her' a personality, like 'Titanic' or 'Flying Scotsman'. Titanic didn't quite live up to 'her' potential, 'Flying Scotsman' did.
    My old Land Rover was christened 'Big Bertha' by one of my colleagues at Royal Mail. She lived up to her name, she was a handful but I had her for almost fifteen years before somebody else took a fancy to her. I'm still thinking of a name for my Discovery. Any suggestions? (See my Hub page, 'What car would you buy...?')

5. profile image0
    Sueswanposted 5 years ago

I named my cactus plant at work, Mr. Prick. smile

1. alancaster149 profile image85
      alancaster149posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds a bit lewd. Not the Mr Prick, the one in the back window to catch the evening rays, and you'd kiss goodnight? (Where're the plasters, Mum?)

6. Availiasvision profile image84
    Availiasvisionposted 5 years ago

Yes, it gives the thing a supposed personality.  Plus, it's way easier to call a ship by a common name then it's serial name.

7. SEO IT! profile image80
    SEO IT!posted 5 years ago

I used to name my dolls and stuffed animals. Fortunately, they never "acted" differently, but the names fit them well in my imagination. I also have a ceramic bunny I named "Mojo". My mom and I painted it together when I was 6 years old, and I do think of him as magical. Every time I look at him, I feel like I'm being hugged by my mom. He has survived intact and unscratched for 34 years. Around here, that's a miracle. Maybe it IS his name that keeps him so well. ;-)

8. sparklingcrystal profile image77
    sparklingcrystalposted 5 years ago

I name my gadgets: dslr, laptop, psp, mobile phone and my ball-jointed doll. I feel like naming is personalizing them. I can really call them mine.

9. morningglory24 profile image60
    morningglory24posted 5 years ago

Its totally in  your own head... but hey whatever gets you through the day.  Everything is really subjective.