jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What's the secret to staying married to your high school sweetheart?

1. Mighty Mom profile image84
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

What's the secret to staying married to your high school sweetheart?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

A few sessions of couple's counseling with a licensed marriage therapist is the secret. Every marriage has serious problems can cannot be solved by the couple alone.

3. nmdonders profile image83
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

Learning to accept and live with certain faults, knowing when to have your own space and time, putting aside your pride, compromise, and a whole lot of other things.  Sometimes this comes naturally and sometimes it takes work and patience smile

4. Mom Kat profile image81
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

I didn't marry my high school sweetheart sad
    So I would have to hunt him down.... states away, convince him to leave his wife & kids... yeah, I'm thinking not such a great plan... oh well, (sigh)

As for just staying married - easy, never sign divorce papers... hahaha

Communication, seriously.  Good communication is key to any long lasting, happy relationship.  Make sure both of you are getting your needs met, both of you feel loved, appreciated, and respected.

5. innerspin profile image92
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

Being adaptable, you'll go through lots of changes together. Good communication. Giving each other space to see friends or have alone time. Not bearing grudges. Supporting each other. Having fun together. Buying a dishwasher. Having more than one television. Smiling. Making them feel important, because they are. The other secret...now, that would be telling!

6. Krazy Me profile image65
    Krazy Meposted 5 years ago

patients, flexability, trust, and love oh and did i say patients

7. ananceleste profile image72
    anancelesteposted 5 years ago

I married my highschool sweetheart. We have been together for 20 years and married for 18. In our case, I think that recognizing our shortcomings and letting each other grow at our own pace was key. Compassion, understanding and above all love.