How guys can handle shopping for long periods of time with their wives, or girlf

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)
  1. yankeeintexas profile image60
    yankeeintexasposted 11 years ago

How guys can handle shopping for long periods of time with their wives, or girlfriends?

I don't have a problem going to a store to buy something, and get out. But, when I shop with my wife (don't get me wrong I love her) I find myself getting bored, and frustrated. Am I the only one or are most males like this?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Here's a question that goes with it.  I love my husband but I would not drag him around shopping because he hates it - why do women insist on taking their husbands shopping when it is so miserable for them?

I think most men dislike shopping.  Women who drag their spouses or boyfriends around shopping need to explore some independence--leave the guy alone and shop by yourself or with a friend.

I have to admit, as a woman, I hate shopping too so I have no idea how you can get used to it.  Good luck!

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Well, I'm not a guy but I can't stand being in stores if I'm not the one shopping, and I can't stand "shopping" if it isn't going to reasonably quickly result in actual buying.  When I'm with a companion of either sex who spends more time in the store than I'm interested in doing (and honestly, my kids would back me up when I say that their father should "win The Prize for how long he looks at stuff before actually buying anything, if, in fact, he ever does buy at all) I just go outside an do something like find stuff on my smart phone or find something to read on Kindle.  I sometimes get a coffee or tea to bring with me, and turn the outside wait into a nice, little, fresh-air "me alone" time.   I'll check my e.mail, call people, whatever...   Or, I dig out my GPS from purse and clean out unnecessary stuff, get phone numbers from local points of interest (I use the GPS as kind of phone book for businesses in the area that I don't call often enough to keep the number in my phone contacts).  Also, I'm not above taking pictures (either with my phone or the camera I keep in my bag) of things like the sky, any flowers near the stores, anything I might possibly use in a Hub or other online writing (a brick wall, a squirrel, a stop sign - whatever there may be).  I've also got a mini-radio in case I want to see what people are talking about on talk radio.

See this is the difference between men and women:   Men need to learn to carry purses, and purses big enough to keep their electronic stuff with them at all times.    smile   smile   (If it's a wait that I see coming I make sure to add my little laptop to that purse.   smile  )   As you know, though, sometimes it's not possible to predict when one of those aggravating waits is going to happen.

AND, the beauty of carrying a purse is that yet something else to do while on one of those unbearable waits is to straighten out one's wallet or purse, trim out any cash accumulated register receipts, make sure one's keys are where they ought to be (so they won't be lost when needed), etc. etc.

So, GET A POCKETBOOK, YOU MEN!!!!!    smile   Fill it up with stuff to do and stop (forgive me, but a lot of you guys have it coming) WHINING and wasting valuable time that could be used for multi-tasking.  (I hope people see my attempt at humor here)  You aren't the only ones who ever have to wait for someone who takes too long to shop, and you're not the only ones who don't like making an hours-long affair out of buying stuff.

1. yankeeintexas profile image60
      yankeeintexasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I will go as far as carring a purse with me but having other thing to do is always good we are stuck shopping, or in other boring situations!

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I hate shopping unless it's for beer, movies, or CDs. So if my wife is going to a store where any of those items are available, I will gladly accompany her. If not, she goes by herself.

5. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

I used to be like this as well. I would sometimes get bored and irritable when going shopping with my wife. Needless to say, this caused a strain on our relationship because for her it wasn't just about the shopping. Once I looked at things from her point of view, it became easier for me to go shopping with her. She wanted to shop, but she also wanted to spend that time with me because she loves me that much. Another reason she took me with her is because she values my opinion regarding what she wears because she wanted to make sure she kept looking good for me so my eyes don't wander.. Now I like going shopping for three reasons:

1) I enjoy the time we spend with each other because I love her so much. The time we share is valuable to keeping the bond between us strong especially since time is one thing we can't get back once it's lost.

2) I get to see her try on clothes and I get to help dress her as according to how I like to see her. She gauges my reactions to seeing her in certain things before making her decision.

3) If I do what she likes at that point in time, she does what I like later on (if you catch my drift)

So if I can give you any little bit of advice, It's this: Go with her because you love her and enjoy the time you are spending with her.. It will start to change your perception about shopping. Also, she will appreciate it and it will help her to feel that you still desire her because you are giving your input into how she looks in something (it shows you are paying attention to her)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)