Why do women love men with accents?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. petenali profile image77
    petenaliposted 11 years ago

Why do women love men with accents?

I can't count the times Canadian women comment on my accent.  It gets kinda awkward at times.  What's with that?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I don't know? But, I would love to have a foreign accent if this is the case. smile

petenaliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol!

3. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

The reason SOME women like accents is the same reason SOME men like fake boobs, it's different!
    Personally I'm fond of an Irish accent.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a coincidence peeples, I happen to have an Irish accent. smile LOL

2. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOLOL!! wink

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

wink

4. petenali profile image77

This was not meant to be a "match-making" thread...lol!!

4. cuttler profile image59
    cuttlerposted 11 years ago

This may be a question better answered by the ladies but i will give it a go all the same.
    Probably it is due to the fact that an exotic accent tends to boost a man's sex appeal. it makes a man stand out from the rest making him more noticeable than others.
    Hope that helps.

The thing is I'm just being myself with no ulterior motive - not attempting to do any sex appeal boosting at all.  Perhaps it's just that I stand from the crowd as you say...

5. innerspin profile image89
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

They may see it as a safe way to compliment you. " Love your aftershave!" sounds too personal unless you know someone. Or do you get that as well? You did mention you look like Jim Carrey....it's a tough life.

Seriously, some accents can be very attractive. I'm not sure if it's because someone from a different region seems exotic, or just a nice change from the everyday accents you hear. Maybe you should look into being a voiceover artist!

I have actually considered the voice over thing as more and more North American commercials seem to have British accents on them...

6. profile image0
    Crystal Tatumposted 11 years ago

I really can't answer that. How do you explain why you're attracted to certain qualities over others? British and Australian accents are just hot, for some unknowable reason. I don't have the same reaction to Italian or French accents. Why? I have no idea. The same reason that when a man picks up a guitar his hot factor automatically goes up a few notches, I guess.

That's scary - my 18 year old plays guitar and can put on a very convincing British accent even though he was born in Canada!

2. profile image0
      Crystal Tatumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then tell him he's set for life!

3. petenali profile image77

Lol... I shall be telling him no such thing Crystal.

7. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Some women enjoy men who are from a different country, in their minds a different world. It's different from the usual guys they see every day and it's nice to have that spark of the unknown or new. However, I don't like foreign accents.

Ouch, remind me never to talk to you in person then (unless of course you are British yourself) or at least I should try to put on my best Canadian twang!  Thanks for the input...

8. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I think because it makes the man seem a little exotic and out of the ordinary.  Adds a little excitement.  Enjoy the attention!

Exotic eh?  Never considered myself to be exotic, like... ever.

9. MarieAlana1 profile image69
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

I was always attracted to men with accents (including my husband) because it resembled adventure. It resembled traveling to a new place. It resembled being brave enough to come to a place by themselves. It resembled not being a redneck. It resembled maybe having some things to talk about. I like that!

All valid points I think...

10. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7803244_f260.jpg

Perhaps it is indeed the unique nature of your British accent (i.e. a British actor named David Niven held quite an attraction). However, Canadian women must deal with that inherent nature of Canadian men always chatting about ice hockey and perhaps their idea that "dance" is indeed a hockey fight; maybe just maybe you are indeed on favoured ground eh! I could go on and on; yet maybe this photograph will score with you, in it is Bob and Doug Mckenzie and their guest Geddy Lee (famous yet typically Canadian in looks)...

Firstly, nice nice use of "eh" at the end of the sentence - very Canadian.  How do you know that I don't chat about ice hockey too, albeit in my British accent??  However, the favoured ground argument could have some validity...hmm.

11. CharronsChatter profile image80
    CharronsChatterposted 11 years ago

Because it makes the same old lines: fresh!!

Plus there is always a chance he will think your accent is adorable, too. smile

Aha, you are the first to "turn the tables" so to speak.

12. LauraGT profile image82
    LauraGTposted 11 years ago

I don't know exactly - but I think people are right that it sounds foreign and exotic. I think the media contributes - often the sexy, dashing lead has a lovely foreign accent.

When I was 10, I traveled abroad for the first time. When I got off the plane in London, I fell instantly in love with the man speaking over the loudspeaker. Who knows what the man might have looked like, but to my 10 year old ears, he was the sexiest man alive!  smile

That made me laugh because whenever we travel back to the UK and hear the voice over the loudspeaker, we think how common he sounds!

13. Abby Campbell profile image69
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

I've always been attracted to the British, and especially Australian accents. I have no idea why that is. Like someone else stated, no others really stand up against these, and I know many women who feel the same. I once watched a documentary about the tones (the depth of the voice) that attracts both men and women. I bet it has something to do with that. The documentary pointed out that women are more attractive to men during their ovulation times as their voices change... are pitched higher (or something of the sort). It was very interesting, so I dare to say that biology/physiology has something to do with it. wink

Interesting stuff.  Actually my accent is often mistaken for Australian too, so I guess that adds to the situation then...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)