Have you ever tried stop loving?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

Have you ever tried stop loving?

One of my friend is in a very frustrating situation. Don know how to support her. Is it possible to stop loving some one you cared a lot ?
    Any help..guidance?

2. gaplumber profile image59
    gaplumberposted 11 years ago

I don't believe you can stop. However, I personally believe that love can change or evolve into something different. Perspectives change, people change, it is all relative. Great question, this may not be a correct answer but it is mine.

dghbrhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many thanks for you took your time to reply here. I appreciate all the individual views here. So it is your view and I agree with you.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I really don't think it is possible to stop loving someone, if it is true love. There is a huge difference in loving someone and "being in love" with them. Unfortunately, I have been divorced, I will always have a special place in my heart for her, but time has helped me to realize that love is not always enough. This may seem pessimistic, but it is truly a cold hard fact.

This is why we have a divorce rate of over 50% in this country. People fall in love, but it isn't forever. Some are lucky enough to find that "friendship" with the love in which is very important. So many do not.

Many thanks for sharing your vies here. I agree with you very much.

2. DexisView profile image76
      DexisViewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more with your comment about friendship.  If you find that love that is your best friend.....marry them!!...don't let them go.....and always let them know what that combination of friend and lover means to you!

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely Dexis. Thank you for your kind words.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I don't think it's possible to (make yourself)  "fall in love, trust someone, miss someone, or stop loving someone." However you do have a choice as to whom you spend your time with or what you choose to focus on.
    At the end of the day the only real cure for depression is taking action. Your friend has to accept the relationship has run it's course and move on. One has to be open to the future which means putting away the past. This involves avoiding contact if possible, disconnecting from the same social network, focusing attention on family, friends, career, hobbies, and dating when she is ready.
    "Your future lies ahead of you not behind you."

Thanks and quite practical advice here.

5. profile image0
    dashingmeposted 11 years ago

I havent tried stop loving someone whom I cared a lot, unless this someone will hurt me physically or turtured me I'll stop loving him. But if the realization of stopping to love will be the best option since the feeling was Ignored whynot. I will stop loving him If I have felt so much pain because of the love I gave.

Oh quite a heartfelt reply here. Thank for your view.

6. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 11 years ago

I really believe we can control our feelings, however to actually reverse the feeling I am not quite sure.

I do know you can think you love/loved someone only to find out it wasnt love but lust or a passion emotion at the time.

If you have loved someone for years, I believe the feeling will never go away, like JT said, there will always be a special place in your heart for that person, if the love was genuine.

However if things happen and you thought it was love but it was not (due to whatever circumstances) yes your love can die for that person in time.

Sometimes we mistake love for all the things we thought this person could offer, and find out that he/she turns out to be someone that well no one really admires.

So ask God to intervene and he will lead you to the right person when its meant to me, as I know he is doing for me.

Many thanks for your kind response here and all the very best to you.

7. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

Attachment comes and goes, yes. It is not love. Love is like a bird, we cannot cage it. So many of us humans speak of love! We get pains, heartaches, emotional tears, etc. because of this.

Love is the yearning of the one for the One, it is the very pulse of Being. It is eternal and cannot stop. Why do you think the Spiritual Masters come? Because of Love.
    You are unconsciously moving towards Freedom. Your Soul know this and so you will not be truly happy until you re-awaken to the divine. That is why the Buddha said that all things are impermanent and that desire/craving is the cause of suffering. Let go of all desire-attachment, and be free.

many thanks for your spiritually enlightened reply here. If one can really get the true freedom then no earthly depression can touch the person. I do agree here.

2. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I like you and I thought that you knew. I empathise. Human chains are so difficult to break!

3. dghbrh profile image81

Thank you but its for one my closest friend. I am fine and thanks for your concern here. Take care.

8. DexisView profile image76
    DexisViewposted 11 years ago

If it is a true love ~ that love will remain. 
    To support your friend, you can just be there for her when she needs to talk.  Let her cry and if it is time by herself she needs to process her feelings be sure to give her that space.  So many people think that you must stay busy and be around others when you are hurting. 
    Sometimes the best thing to do is just be by yourself and give yourself permission to feel what it is that you are feeling.
    You said a frustrating situation, but did not give details.  Sometimes there are very unhealthy situations that need ending.  Once out of the situation, the person can see more clearly and decide whether it was actually love or some kind of obsession.
    If it is a love that is meant to be, in time it will return to her.

Thank you very much. Detail is not possible to mention here as its a little long story may be and apart from all its not my own thing to say. Take care. I agree with you.

9. creyziness profile image0
    creyzinessposted 11 years ago

I don't think so but you can be indifferent. But it is not that easy cos I've tried and I failed.
    If you stop caring it will lessen your love. BUT that doesn't mean you can unlove a person because once you care for that person basically you start loving that person.
    In my case I have a friend who betrayed me. Of course I was angry at that time, I tried to convince myself to hate/curse her but I remember this saying from an anime I watched, it states "when one person is cursed, two graves are dug".

So I tried to be indifferent to her: at first it worked but as time goes by everything heals but sad to say my level of love for her will never be back so as of now, we're just merely acquaintances.

Main point: You cannot stop loving a person BUT you can decrease the level of love and care you have for him/her.

1. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know what that is a great way of putting it. I love that quote "when one person is cursed, two graves are dug". that is so so so true.
      its like the evil/criminal/satan always falls in his own trap always. They wont admit it but they do.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The opposite of love is NOT hate but "indifference". If you can get to the point where the person you knew evokes the same level of emotion as being around a stranger that is success. "I don't care" has less emotional connection than "hate" does.

3. creyziness profile image0
      creyzinessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Rayne123: Thank you. Yes, it is like karma in some ways.

@dashingscorpio: That's true. That line "The opposite of love is NOT hate but "indifference" --somewhat reminds me of my Religion teacher back in highschool.

4. dghbrh profile image81

Thank you all here @Rayne123, dashingscorpio, creyziness.....! its interesting speculation and i agree with the whole analysis pretty well. Hope you all have a great day ahead.

5. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

dashingscorpio, I agree with your comment also...about hate. If you don't want to continue loving and have hatred toward him/her, that doesn't help your hurting.Hating takes even more effort in a negative way. The 'don't care' level is easier on you.

10. daydreamer13 profile image61
    daydreamer13posted 11 years ago

You can distance yourself, but love is (unfortunately)not something you can control.

Many thanks for your reply and view here.

11. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image64
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years ago

Stopping love is detrimental in many ways.  What keeps our life moving is love and the thought of being loved by someone.  The moment we come to know that the person stopped loving us, what would be our feeling.  Too terrific.  To love and to be loved are the two things keep our life alive, sound and colorful.  So never stop loving. Age, caste, sex, there is no bar as far as true love is concerned.

Thank you for your kind reply here. Nobody wants to stop loving. That comes  out of intolerable hurt, bitter truth and frustration only. Take care.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)