jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How do you deal with people who look down on you?

1. starx profile image66
    starxposted 4 years ago

How do you deal with people who look down on you?

There are people who treat your opinion and presence as less important and you can't avoid them due to blood relation or because of work requirement. How do you deal with people who treat you like doormat?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

By believing you have the upper hand and what they say doesn't matter. Even if they do not approve of you or consider you worthless, sooner or later you will have information that they do not. If they refuse your help then, you can watch them crash and burn and tell them their mistake. If they are smart, they will listen. If they are foolish, they will turn bitter. "Let your past make you better, not bitter"

3. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 4 years ago

I stay away from them and do not deal with them as much as possible.  People who treat you in that manner are basically judging and disrespecting you and I don't allow people like that in my life no matter who they are.

1. WalterPoon profile image79
      WalterPoonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Joanne... you can't change people. Just work on your own success. Reminds me of an article in Chicken Soup which says: "When I finally succeeded, friends whom I haven't seen for umpteen years suddenly knocked at the door."

4. TNT Husky profile image70
    TNT Huskyposted 4 years ago

I know what I am, and who I am. I've at least made that understanding in my short 20 years so far. That alone is enough to keep me from letting those kinds of people get to me.

5. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years ago

I was once hassled by a fellow substitute teacher who loved getting on my case because I have trouble controlling a classroom.  Why would he do this when he always had perfect control?  Obviously, he wasn't feeling terribly secure.

One day, I coolly responded we all pay for our sins.  I told him about a former classmate who copped a nasty attitude about our Christian high school, yet went on to become a highly paid doctor.  However, his wife divorced him and slapped a nasty alimony and child support lawsuit on him.  As a result, all he can afford is a tiny apartment, while his ex-wife and kids live in a big mansion.  So his arrogance didn't help much did it?  He should have listened to what they were trying to teach him at the Christian school.

That shut up my antagonist.  To this day, years later, he won't look me in the eye.