jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Do you prefer chauvinistic or henpecked spouse? Why?

1. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

Do you prefer chauvinistic or henpecked spouse? Why?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I suspect most of today's women would choose (neither). The "ideal modern marriage" is about partnership, compromise, and co-parenting. Naturally there will always be exceptions or people who prefer living in a past era.
    I imagine a woman who wants a chauvinistic spouse wants their mate to "take charge", make all or most of the decisions, and provide financial/physical security.
    A woman who wants an henpecked spouse is one who does not want to hear her mate use the word "no" to any of her requests/demands. She wants to control all decisions in and out of the household.
    Both types of marriages tend to lead to a (parent/child) relationship overtime. The dominant person loses respect for the submissive person. They're not viewed as an "equal" in the marriage. The submissive person's self-esteem diminishes as they transition from being resentful to dependent on their spouse. Both are unhappy.
    Whether one has a  chauvinistic or henpecked spouse, neither rises to the level of being "soul mates".
    One man's opinion! :-)

1. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

very insightful comment. However, my hubby is chauvinistic type and he controls everything from what i wear, what i cook, what i say, what i do, the friends i have, how i spend money ... in other words, i am just his puppet .

2. nochance profile image93
      nochanceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that sounds like an awful relationship. I would rather have a partnership than either of those options. So that's what I choose when I decided to date my boyfriend.

3. peachpurple profile image82

@nochance
      you sure is a lucky gal. I didn't realized his chauvinistic behavior had became so serious until our marriage began. That's is when I couldn't make a simple decision at all. He blames me for not having own opinion. He says no to everything!

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 4 years agoin reply to this

peachpurple, The beautiful thing about a door is it lets those who want in (in) and those who want out (out). No one is "stuck" with anyone. We are always where we (choose) to be. Staying in an unhappy marriage is a choice to remain unhappy.

5. peachpurple profile image82

@dashing
      very true indeed my friend. But i am resigned to my fate for the sake of the kids

working