jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (19 posts)

Do you say "Thanks" or Thank You?" Does it make a difference? Is it more meanin

1. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 4 years ago

Do you say "Thanks" or Thank You?"  Does it make a difference? Is it more meaningful to add "you"?

2. Carola Finch profile image99
    Carola Finchposted 4 years ago

I usually say "thanks" because it is less formal, but use "thank you" when someone gives me something or does something special for me.

3. billybuc profile image87
    billybucposted 4 years ago

I always say thank you...that's how I was raised and it has stayed with me for my entire life. smile

4. lorlie6 profile image82
    lorlie6posted 4 years ago

billybuc and I must have been raised in the same household...somehow I do recall that name. smile

5. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

No question for me. Thanks is less formal. I do not think I intentionally ever say thanks to someone older than me. I do not use thanks in business. When I am concerned with being sincere I use Thank you.
    But here is a fun one I always give thanks to the Lord. Although I often say "Thank you Lord Jesus"
    I say thank you in a store to the keeper. But I think I almost always use thanks with my children unless showing them how to say thank you to an elder.

Hey MsDora, thanx

6. jocent profile image68
    jocentposted 4 years ago

Using both will mean the same thing unless it is done in a manner that is really heart felt. Accompanying the word with pleasant gestures or with firm handshake will spell a big difference.

1. lupine profile image73
      lupineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on "Best Answer", I thought it was great too. Voted up.

7. profile image0
    callienicolaysenposted 4 years ago

I say both. Not because it's a special circumstance or anything.

1. sallybea profile image98
      sallybeaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think that by adding a you makes the gratitude appear more heartfelt.

8. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Thank you means a lot and shows good character. I always say thank you with respect

9. Borsia profile image43
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

I go by the casual / formal rule as I was brought up.

10. MC Rocks profile image60
    MC Rocksposted 4 years ago

Thanks is not character specific but thank you is since you directly address the person your talking to so i'd say thank you is definitely more meaningful to a person on a personal level. On the other hand, thanks seems more casual.

11. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 4 years ago

I use both depending on the situation. Thanks is more casual, and Thank You is more proper to use in important matters or when speaking to your elders.

12. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 4 years ago

I say both, and also 'Thank you very much' or 'You're very kind, thank you.' In my Hubs I may end with Much peace or Loving thoughts, etc. Point here is that our Thanks or thank you's are influenced by our state of consciousness, and who or what is presented to us in the external environment as well as their acts of kindness or insincerity.

This affects us consciously or unconsciously, and we respond in kind.
    I prefer 'thank you' and even more than this, but again it can depend on the interaction and states of spirit from both sides at the given moment.' Thank you so much' for asking this question Dora (smile)

13. Dee aka Nonna profile image81
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 4 years ago

Hey Ms Dora,  I personally prefer "thank you".  I do say "thanks" sometimes because I think it is completely appropriate.  "Thank you" just seem to create an extra bond......

14. american13 profile image76
    american13posted 4 years ago

I say it but when someone does not thank me or treat me well, I dont.

15. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 4 years ago

"Thank you" to every one who contributed an answer.  You really helped.  I was facing a real life situation in which someone said "Thanks," but I felt no sense of appreciation.  It seemed that the "thanks" was just courteous, but not genuine.  My question came out of that worry.

Based on your answers and other research, I now prefer to say "thank you."  However, I have discovered that neither "thanks" nor "thank you" is meaningful unless accompanied by body language, facial expression, or an additional statement (if the "thanks" is written) which supports the spirit of gratitude.  "Thank you" again and I mean it.

16. Michael-Milec profile image61
    Michael-Milecposted 4 years ago

This was puzzling question for me sinse the English language isn't my first language and both is being used by those who " know," . In my first language nd many others I'm familiar with is well accepted- as I was raised to- " thank you" often accopanied by " very much" or " so much," whenever speaking face -  face.  " thanks" is an acknowledgment of approximation , while " thank you" is a conversational expression of a gratitude.
    Thank you MsDora so much.

1. MsDora profile image94
      MsDoraposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Michael, I understand the explanation you give, and I appreciate it.  I think our English usage is similar.  Thank You for sharing.

working