jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

If your significant other proposes to you in a grand public way should you say y

1. NikiDiva profile image60
    NikiDivaposted 4 years ago

If your significant other proposes to you in a grand public way should you say yes ?

Even if you do not want to should you temporarily say yes to save his ego??

2. fastquick20 profile image62
    fastquick20posted 4 years ago

my answer is yes, unless you want to end up on youtube smile

NikiDivaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Then how do you explain the non engagement? Do you say yes if you are just not ready but want to later maybe a few years down the road? Or just say yes regardless?

3. Everyday Miracles profile image87
    Everyday Miraclesposted 4 years ago

No. Only say "yes" if you want to marry him. It's more humiliating to be told no after a yes than the other way around.

4. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 4 years ago

I personally think it's really unfair of a significant other to make a public display out of it, but that's a whole 'nother rant wink. I agree that you should never say what you don't mean, so don't say yes unless you are absolutely certain. It's okay to say "I need to think about it" or just flat-out "no." His ego will feel some bruising from hearing an answer he doesn't want to hear regardless. If he feels humiliated at it happening in public, then that's really his issue -- it was his choice to put it out there in public.

NikiDivaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I feel the exact same way. If he is embarrassed that's his issue for making it so public.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Say yes if you want to spend the rest of your life with this person. Say yes if you want him so badly that you would say yes no matter how he asked.

No, do not say yes to save him embarrassment. It would be unfair to him to string him along.

6. Alphadogg16 profile image92
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

I have to agree with duffsmom, say yes if you see yourself with them for the rest of your life. Don't just say it to save embarrassment. They should have a pretty good idea what your answer will be prior to asking, so there really should be embarrassment.

7. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Never say yes unless you really want to marry the person.
    There are two basic reasons why someone would propose in such a manner.
    1. They want to catch you completely off guard and they made special arrangements to pull off what they believe will be a "special memory" that you will share for a lifetime. Hollywood has to bare some of the blame. Dinner for two doesn't  cut it anymore.
    2. They're uncertain if you will say yes. Therefore they want the crowd or audience on (their side) when you give your decision. They know most people will be rooting for a "yes" It takes a strong person to hold their ground and say "no" with what may feel like the whole world watching.
    I saw one woman run away. It was funny. The truth is most guys already know if the woman they're with wants to marry them! Odds are she has "dropped hints", had discussions about raising a family some day, professed "eternal love", or other such talk has taken place before. Only an idiot would propose knowing his odds are 50/50 or possibly worse that she would say "yes".

working