Why does this site only cater to (the 90% posted and graded high on HubPages) "h

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Dan W Miller profile image73
    Dan W Millerposted 10 years ago

Why does this site only cater to (the 90% posted and graded high on HubPages) "how to" hubs?

Does anyone know of other writing sites similar to HubPages that isn't prejudiced against hubs that aren't "how to?" I write deep human interest stories and "The Powers That Be" don't like them. (Hence the lousy score.)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8705397_f260.jpg

2. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Hi Dan......I am far from expert on the "reasons" HP does and doesn't do anything, however, one of the answers to your question is one that is very much publicized and repeated over & over.   HP likes what google wants and therefore encourages HOW TO hubs.( or hubs that answer questions, give instruction, etc)
    This same reason is why HP has their learning center, pushes SEO, and all the other issues you will see written about... everywhere you look.
    MANY hubbers write superb hubs of all types, yet make little money and get only some recognition and "disappointing" scores. 
    Welcome to HP.  This is what it is.  The only hubbers who continue to write and remain happy, despite the sad statistics above, are those of us who write for the passion-fun-experience of it.
    Funny I came across this question, Dan.  I just recently had a heart to heart with myself to decide whether I wanted to get really serious and write THE RIGHT STUFF, (google-friendly) and make some real money and watch my scores soar.......or just keep "playing" as I have for over 2 and half years.  Haven't made up my mind yet.
    I hope this helps....but I'm sure that you will yield a ton of comments from hubbers who know much more than I do about this.......such as the Big Kahunas who make the big money & sit  in high places....because that's why they're here.  To them, this is a career and they know what it requires.  I'd have to guess that the only ones who can recommend "other sites" would be the hubbers who have flown the coop for what they believed would be greener pastures.....

Dan W Millerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are awesome, "fp!" The fact that you took the time to answer my crybaby rant AND give me encouragement shows you are truly a considerate person. I tell, ya, the writers here on HP have been SO helpful. Thought I knew what I was doing until I now!

2. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dan...If you think your rant qualifies you as a "crybaby".....you're definitely in the right place, amongst friends.! LOL  We've ALL had our moments.  Then we earn our white flag.

3. Cre8tor profile image93
    Cre8torposted 10 years ago

I don't think it has as much to do with HP as it does the internet in general. Sites like these make money on advertisers. The majority of advertisers make money on products. Products are usually needed for "how to's". Think of ALL advertising...how many of them can sell their product on your Hub? What are the majority of net surfers looking for?

I'm not saying your Hubs aren't good or that people don't want to read these from time to time but mostly, they are searching for something specific.

If HP or any other site is trying to trigger profit, they have to cater to what people are typing into the search bar and how it relates to those who "pay the bills" and what they're selling. It's all about numbers, not topics or prejudice. Don't be mad at HP, be mad at people for what it is they seek.

Lastly, as fpherj48 said, if you enjoy writing to write, great! The scores don't matter and you can generate your own traffic thru social media and such but if you want $$$, you have to give the people what they want.

Every time I ask for help from an expert (such as yourself, "8") I come away with a new confidence and, in retrospective, my view of writing articles changed for the better! Thank you so much! With encouragement and help from great people, I FLOURISH

2. Cre8tor profile image93
      Cre8torposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dan but from one Dan to another, I'm hardly an expert. I've just been through it myself and lots of trial and error and asking this same kind of question. I'm glad you're feeling good about it though. Keep Writing!

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

You might check out Examiner.com, Ezine Articles, or Squidoo.
    The vast majority of people that read articles on quite a few sites are looking for "how to" information or something they feel will enhance their lives in one way or another.
    You might also look at becoming a contributor to an online newspaper such as Huffington Post or possibly set up your own blog.

Oh, thanks, "Scorp!" Yes, come to think of it, when I'm searching online, it's to find an answer to a question I have. I actually HAVE contributed to an Examiner.com (Toronto) from another hub I have about the 5 Ridiculous Ways To Save Money. thx!

5. Dan W Miller profile image73
    Dan W Millerposted 10 years ago

Not an answer but a feeling of hopelessness. Haven't edited any of my hubs. Used to have 7 in the "70s" and none below "60" as recent as December.
    Now only one rated at 71 and one is at 57! How could they fall? People are reading them.
    Frustrated, mad, disappointed in this site and yet the good points of it come from the great talented and helpful members.
    "The Powers That Be" (the people running it) have me so depressed, I don't feel like writing any hubs anymore. At least not on this site. Maybe soon.
    Oh, good job, HB admin people!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)