jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Why does a man feel a woman should always take his plate after eating?

1. DDE profile image27
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Why does a  man  feel a woman should always take his plate after eating?

Often  when a man has finished eating he would leave his plate waiting on his wife to move it do you think  that is a correct way of life or should this always be a woman's job?

2. CarolineChicago profile image82
    CarolineChicagoposted 4 years ago

This is absolutely not a woman's job! He probably does this because his mother used to take his father's plate to the sink when he was young. He needs to be retrained.

1. DDE profile image27
      DDEposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with not a woman's job thank you for  taking part in this question.

3. profile image59
    billys1posted 4 years ago

What???  I am a man, a very happily married man of some years now and this is a totally foreign question to me.  Wouldn't expecting or demanding that a mans wife clear his plate from the table after he is finished with is finished using it be the same as the husband treating his wife as a servant or more to the matter, a slave? 

I believe things go both ways.  If his wife was nice enough to fix his food for him would it not be a nice idea to show his appreciation to her by at least clearing the table after they are both finished eating?  Perhaps he could go even further and wash the dishes and put them away for her as a gesture of his love and appreciation for a good home cooked meal!  I believe that small things like this go a long ways towards building strong marriages not just from the husband, no, from both husband and wife to each other out of signs simple and mutual love and respect, one towards the other and back again.  What do you think?

1. DDE profile image27

Very true the little things  builds the stronger marriage well stated. Thank you.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

This is one of those questions for which the answer is going to be based on the responders cultural and religious beliefs. Some men are raised being taught clearing away the dishes is a woman's job and that's how life in that household is going to be. From my perspective, if a man thinks I'm doing all of the work and going to clear up whatever he put on the table, there aren't going to be any clean dishes for him to use until he gets all of the dirty ones off the table and washes them himself.

1. DDE profile image27

Cultural is so right  both should be involved thank you

5. krillco profile image93
    krillcoposted 4 years ago

Good grief, no. In my house, I'm the one who cooks and cleans up, and I'm all man. Most of the time, it's 'bus your own table' at my house.

1. DDE profile image27

Well thought of answer thank you

6. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 4 years ago

It all depends on the man -- and probably the accepted norms as well. My first husband always left the dishes (and every other mess) for me to pick up, I suspect, because he was lazy. It could just be that he was tired and thought only about why he himself didn't want to do it. I honestly don't know, since he never did tell me.

My husband now not only picks up his dishes, he cooks the meals and washes all of the dishes too. When we eat a meal together, whoever gets up first takes any empty dishes to the kitchen. It may be a small thing, but it does show consideration when someone asks if you're done with your plate and offers to take it.

1. DDE profile image27

''if you're done with your plate and offers to take it,''  is a considerate gesture well summed up thank you.

7. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I believe it comes down to one's cultural lifestyle and how they were raised. In the U.S. most of us are taught as children to put our on own dishes in the sink or dishwasher after eating.
    Having said that any wife who finds herself in this position must have dated the man and observed this habit of his BEFORE she said, "I do".

1. DDE profile image27

The woman married to someone  like that must know before hand well said. Thank you.

working