jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is your opinion on dating your friends ex?

1. ECRiley profile image82
    ECRileyposted 3 years ago

What is your opinion on dating your friends ex?

Say you're interested in someone.  But that someone used to date a good friend of yours.  It's also been a while since they've broken up but still, you know.  What would you do in a situation like that?

2. vitacruz profile image60
    vitacruzposted 3 years ago

I know for a fact that if a teenager took another guy's ex then there would be a fight. Although, for mature adults, I would suggest to simply ask your good friend to see if it would bother them. Talk to them about it and really try to see if it would bother them in the future. If you do end up with the person you are interested in, do not flaunt your relationship to your close friend. Personally, I would never date a best friend's ex even if the ex is interested in me as well.

3. DDE profile image23
    DDEposted 3 years ago

Dating your friend's ex is not such a good idea.
    In this case the spending time with your firedn will be uncomfortable  the friendships can be ruined this also depends on how your friend feels about it.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

As a courtesy you probably should run it by your friend before seeing if the ex has any interest. This is especially true if the friend is one of your "best friends". Generally speaking if they only had a brief fling or your friend is the one who dumped their ex then it's probably not a big deal especially if it has been a while and the friend has found new love. On the other hand if your friend was the one who got dumped it may harbor resentment towards his ex and would be uncomfortable if you found love together or you were bringing the ex around.
    One of my best friends dated one of exes and I had no problem with it. However it was not like I was ever "in love" or emotionally invested with that woman and they started dating a couple of years after she and I went our separate ways. We even had a few double dates with my new girlfriend at the time and everyone got along. We were in our mid 20s and simply enjoying life.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I agree with the others who say to talk to friend about it. If you dating the ex is going to cause friction in your friendship and you want to keep that friend, it's best not to date his ex. If he has no problem with it, go for it.

6. realtalk247 profile image69
    realtalk247posted 3 years ago

That's messed up! You can date anyone in the world, why disrespect your past relationship partner. That's wrong.

working