jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Does anyone use or have used a dating website before?

1. Fullerman5000 profile image60
    Fullerman5000posted 3 years ago

Does anyone use or have used a dating website before?

Now that I am currently not engaging in the bar scene that much these days, I have been debating on possibly joining  a dating website. I know a few people that have done it and now they are married to that individual. So, if you have used it how successful was it? What are some of the better ones out there to try?

2. Old-Empresario profile image83
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

It depends on what you're after. It is actually a good and safe way to meet people when you think about it, because it leaves little to chance. Meeting people at work is messy and meeting people through other public places is too random. The best alternative is being introduced through a friend. I used match.com in 2008 after I got a divorce and 80% of the women I met on there were not looking for partners, but for "booty calls". I assume the percentage of men looking for that is higher. I did meet my current wife on Match after learning some lessons and after feeling used by several of the other types of ladies. They were all lovely, but we weren't looking for the same thing. If you use it, here's the only advice I would offer: don't contact any women. Let them visit your profile and contact you first. Then you can be your own charming self. Ladies on Match.com receive about 10,000 ridiculous solicitations a week from complete lunatics. Men don't. That seems to be the new way of it. Even ladies at bars are that way now. Men should not bother a lady these days since if a lady is interested, she will most likely let you know.

1. dashingscorpio profile image86
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You said: " I did meet my current wife on Match". Therefore you're living proof that online dating can and does work for some people! Congratulations! Mate selection whether it's online or offline always contains challenges. That's life!smile

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I agree with Old-Empresario. It depends on what (you) are after. There are thousands of different types of online dating sites as well as those with a specific niche. There are those focus on (common interests) race/nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation, those who have children, horseback riding, and the list goes on.
    Finding someone who wants what you want is the key along with them being attracted to you! Never make assumptions.
    Not all sites are equal. You have do your research!
    However it's important to remember that  (you) are responsible for (your choices) when it comes to selecting people to engage with whether it be online or offline. Odds are you'll overlook people who may have been ideal.
    Online dating is just a (tool) for meeting people. It's not the (fork) that causes people to gain weight. It's (their) choices! Oftentimes when people have a negative  experience they blame the whole industry instead of looking at (their) choices in the selection process.
    I've had great online dating experiences but I also understand it's not (how) you meet but (whom) you meet that makes all the difference in the world.
    Always use good commonsense when dealing with strangers both online and offline. Below are a couple resources you might wish to check out.
    http://www.datingadvice.com/reviews  (provides breakdowns of members)
    http://lovealert911.com/ ( Has a free download: Avoid the Catfish!: How to date Online Successfully.)
    Last but not least you may also want to check out Meetup.com This is not an online dating site. It is site that has 1000s of groups of people with various interest. The groups usually meet once or more per month. This is a great way to socialize with people you have things in common without the pressure of it being a date. One can gradually get to know people the way they would at work, in class, or other venue where people see each other regularly. They have just about every type of group you could imagine (wine tasting, book clubs, yoga, hiking, theatre goers, meditation, dancing, writers, singles clubs, and various sports enthusiast as well as professional network groups. Best wishes!

working