This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Are there more reasons to get married now than before?

  1. Sundeep Kataria profile image73
    Sundeep Katariaposted 3 years ago

    Are there more reasons to get married now than before?

    Being married is considered to be old-fashioned nowadays. Young people prefer to stay officially unattached find and avoid the matrimony. Is this concept changing now?

  2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

    In all honesty most young people aren't mature enough, mentally prepared, or financially stable enough to enter into marriage.
    However in the end the vast majority of people do end up getting married at least once before they die. One report I read awhile back indicated in the U.S. that 85% of men have been married at least once by age 44. Of the 15% who had not odds are some of them were gay. Now that "marriage equality" laws are sweeping the nation I would suspect that 85% number will eventually reach 90-95%.
    The concept of marriage may change but the tradition is ingrained enough in society that most people either want to or open to having the experience at least once before they die. One man's opinion! smile

  3. Lori P. profile image86
    Lori P.posted 3 years ago

    Recent polls show that more young people are opting not to marry. For practical purposes, marriage has lost many benefits it once provided. Marriage ensured a two-parent family to raise children. It offered financial protection for the wife, and a secured sexual partner for the man. Marriage also allowed for combined assets (dowry, land, inheritance), including the joining of two different families and the political power associated with that.

    And then, there were the religious reasons to marry. Sex outside marriage is considered a sin by some. Marriage was deemed a necessary responsibility for both man and woman in order to procreate.

    Today, only the religious cling to these antiquated notions. Most young people who are non-religious find marriage has too many risks and downsides. And yet, they may still marry out of the sheer romantic notion that marriage seems to declare their loyalty and devotion to one and only one person. Our hearts will always yearn for this even when our heads get in the way.

    1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

      I'm willing to bet by age 45 most of those young people will have been married at least once if not more. I believe young people are simply delaying marriage. In the end most people end up getting married at some point in life.

  4. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

    Sundeep.....I can only offer my own opinion, combined with what we all can clearly observe occurring in the country today (limiting my information to the U.S.) 
    I'm afraid my immediate response to your question as you have worded it, is.....It appears evident to me that there are "fewer" reasons to marry than in the past.
    Quite honestly Sundeep, only 2 decades ago, I would have been saddened by the notion of couples choosing to have a committed relationship, live together, even have children, without including marriage.
    Now I must admit that I can fully understand the reluctance of couples to go the traditional, legal route and sign on the bottom line.
    Staggering divorce statistics, while we are seldom privy to the long list of reasons, it is not a stretch to see that "Marriage" itself..as the Institution...is perceived as barely a ghost of it's original concept/meaning.  This issue alone could be the topic of a debate to end all debates.  I know I'd sign on.  If for no other reason than to come to an acceptable conclusion in terms of this current slant on marriage.
    IMHO..."Old-fashioned" has little to do with the decisions being made in this 21st. Century.  I feel this is perhaps more of an unintended revolution by our young adults, for the ultimate purpose of "Change and transition".....and creating their OWN.   
    All we really need to do is take a long, serious look around....take time to listen and literally exchange ideas, questions and concepts with the younger generation.  The true story is there.

  5. Old-Empresario profile image81
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

    Not really, but men do tend to feel a social obligation to marry their girlfriend if she becomes pregnant and chooses to keep the baby.

    1. fpherj48 profile image78
      fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

      O-E.......a "social" obligation??  Women can only HOPE you didn't mean to use the term, "social" in making your comment......!

    2. Old-Empresario profile image81
      Old-Empresarioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

      Yes; and I'm sure you don't speak for all women. Many men (and women) in the US still marry out of a sense of social responsibility.

    3. fpherj48 profile image78
      fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

      Right. U must be correct. "Social OBLIGATION" is much more gallant & sincere than morality, ethics, responsibility, maturity, decency,  paternity ..or for love of the woman &  child. I'm sorry. so SWEET of the man to feel OBLIGATED, Socially.

 
working