jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Ever known anyone that stayed in a bad relationship/marriage for the love of the

1. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Ever known anyone that stayed in a bad relationship/marriage for the love of their mate's family?

I knew of a person who loved their in-laws and their family gatherings so much that they were willing to endure unhappiness in the marriage in order to maintain that bond. Since she had no children by this man she knew a divorce would likely cut her ties with his family and friends.
    Have you ever known anyone who loved their mate's family more than their own? Sometimes one of the casualties of divorce is the loss of the special bond formed with in-laws; but is it worth staying in a toxic marriage?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11882552_f260.jpg

2. Lady Summerset profile image80
    Lady Summersetposted 3 years ago

I understand her.  I'm on the other side of the equation with two grown boys.  They enter a relationship, we bond with the young ladies, then they split up!  It's really funny because the young ladies continue to want/have a relationship with us and then my sons are like "I don't see her anymore!"  Unfortunately, in most cases these relationships are lost to divorce unless ALL parties concerned can manage to be okay with the ex and him moving on in a new relationship!  This is something that should also be brought up in martial counseling before marriage.

dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Lady Summerset, I imagine there must many people out there who have bonded with families of their exes to a point where they felt like an actual blood member. After the divorce/ breakup they realize the family loyalty remains with their ex.

3. danicole profile image81
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

It is not worth it, and find it ridiculous. You are in a relationship with that person, not the family or in-laws. I haven't met someone or known someone who like loved their mate's family more than their own. Anyway people come and go, and no matter how crappy family can be sometimes, the loyalty of family will always be.

Very true!

4. realtalk247 profile image70
    realtalk247posted 3 years ago

Wow, how sad.  With no children I would think she would be long gone.  When I examined your question, I wondered if they (as a couple) did everything  they could to keep their marriage alive. There must be some reason why they got married and maybe they needed to create a spark.  I'm just thinking if I'm married, we are going to be in love.  If that takes calling in sick on my husbands behalf for us to go away for the weekend or my husband coming home to his own private show.........if you get my drift.  Perhaps putting on sexy fishing gear to go spend a weekend at the lake with other couples relaxing. 
    My belief is that you have to agree to be in a dead relationship.  You have to try 1000 times to change the situation. Men and women need to remember to be the person that the other person loved enough to marry.  If you have children that changes the a lot but every now and then it's time to take them to their grandparents house and bond with the person you lay in the bed with everyday.

What I would love to hear is someone that turned a toxic marriage into the love of a lifetime.  Life is too short to live like you're dead.

" Men and women need to remember to be the person that the other person loved enough to marry." - Excellent advice!

5. DDE profile image26
    DDEposted 3 years ago

It is not worth staying in a toxic marriage. It will just ruin oneself. Staying with someone only for the sake of others can cause one to be unhappy and depressed.

Maybe people like this marry because they love the other person's family. I agree it's not worth staying for.

2. DDE profile image26
      DDEposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes love just ain't enough.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88

Very true!

6. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 years ago

Yes.  She was the mother of a girl I had a crush on in high school.  (No, I'm not gay or ACDC; she just exuded so much sexuality, she attracted members of both sexes.  Ironically, she was homophobic!)
    Anyway, her father cheated on her mother BIG TIME.  He even ran a prostitution ring!  After 25 years, her mother decided she'd had enough and left him.  Her mother-in-law stood by her throughout the whole process; she named her as one of her 3 best friends.  So not all mothers-in-law are monsters.
    She wound up returning to her husband.  Her mother-in-law has since passed away, but they are still together today, being married 56 years.

Say Yes To Life, That was a very strange and unique story. Her mother-in-law apparently was the glue that kept them together and brought them back together as well.

working