jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

What point if at any should a man/woman no longer have privacy with their mate?

1. NikiDiva profile image61
    NikiDivaposted 5 years ago

What point if at any should a man/woman no longer have privacy with their mate? Phone, email etc

2. cakeinthemorn profile image61
    cakeinthemornposted 5 years ago

I think that it all depends upon the nature of the relationship that the two people have.  My husband and I don't have much in the way of secrets or really just keeping anything separate.  If my cell phone rings, it is just natural for us to talk about what the phone call was about when I hang up.  We have a joint family email account and we really enjoy sharing pretty much everything with each other.  We do give each other privacy in the bathroom, ha ha, but really we have a very open communication relationship.

This might not be practical or desirable for others, though, and that is okay.  A lot of people find that they are better with their mate if they have their own space in which they can be themselves.  A lot of people keep separate bank accounts and don't detail their expenses, and for some people this works! 

Hope this helps!

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Life is a personal journey. I believe everyone is entitled to retain some privacy. However a large part of being in a relationship/marriage is about sharing one's life. I do think there is a difference between (privacy) and being (secretive) in a relationship/marriage. If one is doing something behind their mate's back which they know would upset them then that would not be about "privacy" so much as it is about "deceit". Trust comes with having demostrated honesty and integrity overtime. Trusting someone doesn't mean you can't ask questions. Trusting someone means you believe (they will give you honest answers) to your questions.
    Having said that, if you are (married) and your spouse's cell phone rings while they are in the shower or wherever and they get furious with you for answering their phone... I would imagine that would raise your eyebrows.

4. WiseRabbit profile image83
    WiseRabbitposted 5 years ago

depends, really. No one should feel like they are under close scrutiny because that means there is an underlying trust issue. My husband and I have been together for 12 years, married for four and I rarely, if ever go into his phone unless he needs me to. Same for him with my phone. Computers too. There just is no need. This is not to say you should just blindly trust anyone, but they should at least get a chance. If they are being dishonest, it will show soon enough and then you would need to decide what action you wanted to take. Personally If I could not trust someone there wouldn't be much sense in having a relationship with them. Being possessive, jealous and suspicious is not a good thing for any relationship.

5. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 5 years ago

marriage is the only commitment for you can have a relationship with many people but can legally married in the U S once and when married there should been no secret for the two are one and the privacy is for the two. there shouldn't be any lock code in a marriage for if there is, someone is hiding something and when there trust in a marriage the almost never any checking on one another and in that, privacy is never an issue.

NikiDivaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True indeed when there is trust privacy is not an issue!

6. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Privacy is not necessary when there is nothing secretive between two persons.

Between my wife and I, we do not need the privacy as we share everything. Only my children require their privacy between friends though they share it with my wife.

I always believe to be an open book so there is no reason for privacy.

There is a difference between privacy and secrecy. Sometimes a person may not want someone else going through their things, not that they have anything to hide but value their personal space

2. edhan profile image59
      edhanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do understand. But the bond between my wife and I is such that we do not mind the 'invasion' of our privacy between us as we live in each other's space. We are sort of bond together as one without having any privacy concern. We live as one.

7. cat on a soapbox profile image99
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

There is nothing I feel I need to hide from my husband, and he concurs. That being said, we STILL respect each other's privacy and have separate e-mails and our own desks. We never open each other's mail w/o permission or help ourselves to personal journals for example. I wouldn't dream of scanning his cell phone messages! The only point I think it would become necessary would be health related when a "Power of Attorney" would kick in.

thank you for your answer

working