jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

When does the truth become a lie?

1. one2get2no profile image82
    one2get2noposted 3 years ago

When does the truth become a lie?

Is half a truth, half a lie.....or perhaps ommission of a truth a lie?

2. profile image55
    BilllyTheKidposted 3 years ago

The Truth can never be a lie, If you knowingly withhold information knowing that it will mislead the person in question that you are conveying information to then it is a lie, if you tell someone half truth and half lie the over all it is a lie. However you can lie and tell the truth at the same time, If you give misinformation to someone, but in all honesty you think it is the truth then it is not a lie, you are just wrong. If you don't know that you aren't telling the truth then it cant be considered a lie. But over all if you knowingly, by omission or half truth tell someone or lead them to believe something that is not true then it is in fact a lie

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Perception is reality.
    If nobody believes the "truth" it is considered a lie (until it can be proven) otherwise. If you were married and your spouse saw a photo of you hugging a "platonic friend" and accused you of cheating even after you explained the situation then in their mind the "truth" is a lie! Your spouse doesn't believe you. Everyone has their own "litmus test" for what is to be believed as true. Oftentimes it comes down to one (trusting the source) of the information.

1. profile image55
      BilllyTheKidposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree that perception is reality, However I believe that just because someone doesn't believe the truth doesn't make it any less the truth. I do understand what you are saying though. if I perceive it as a lie then to me it is. but fact remains.

4. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11904060_f260.jpg

The truth can indeed become a lie,
    When the Truth-Sayer(s) indeed die,
    Mislead, mislead, mislead when truth is in demise...

1. connorj profile image77
      connorjposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps another way truth can become a lie, rests in this infamous quote, "Art is a lie to which one gives the accent of truth."

5. tsadjatko profile image60
    tsadjatkoposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11904237_f260.jpg

The truth becomes a lie when it is compromised for the sake of dialogue. When we take a closer look, what they want is not really dialogue —it’s dialectic, a very old Jesuit principle.

Dialectic involves three aspects: thesis, antithesis, and synthesis. These sound complex, but “thesis” and “antithesis” are simply names for two opposites. “Synthesis” is a word for the compromise people reach in order to come to some form of agreement.

Here’s the problem: what if the thesis happens to be the truth? If one side is the truth, then the other side —antithesis— has to be a lie. But what is the synthesis? Any compromise between truth and a lie is also a lie. So, actually, if you talk about which side wins, the lie wins out, because a lie is always a lie. It never becomes the truth.

Truth compromised is a lie.

working