Why use the term 'lifestyle'?

1. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

Why use the term 'lifestyle'?

In relation to 'homosexuality and homosexuals. I get this a lot when discussing homosexuality related things. Yet, if homosexuality is a lifestyle, then so is heterosexuality is it not?? Is it because people think sexuality is a choice people make? (And well, you can go into that in yr answer if you like). From a comment I received abt my lack of belief being so I could live a particular lifestyle (was non-believer before I realised I was gay). I don't want purposely offensive comments, but I'm ok with opinions that disagree. Ready.....go!

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I would say "lifestyle" is only a term that should be used in relation to homosexuality for us who are Bi-sexual. For me, choosing to be in a heterosexual marriage even though I am also equally attracted to females makes my choice a lifestyle choice. However if broken down by definition it really applies to all sexualities equally.
    The actual definition of "Lifestyle choice" is a choice a person makes about how to live and behave, according to their attitudes, tastes, and values. So with that said a gay person is in a sense choosing their lifestyle by not denying what they are. Just the same a heterosexual person is making a lifestyle choice by not going against what feels right to them and being gay.
    Like it or not sexuality is a choice. You can choose to hate the person you are with. You can choose to be in a relationship with someone you are not attracted to. Should you? Of course not, but it is your choice.
    A common trend among SOME believers is to ignore their own "lifestyle choices" and to degrade others. We all make lifestyle choices about our sexuality. Some choose to say it like it's a bad thing. It might be, but likely a gay person's choice to seek out another gay partner is no different than a heterosexual person seeking out another heterosexual partner.

1. jlpark profile image86
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this Peeples - explains it well (I thought this question had been deleted which is why I reworded it elsewhere. I will use this one in my hub! Thanks)

working