Sexuality - is there really a choice?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Sexuality - is there really a choice?

Many people - often who have concerns with homosexuality - comment that "it's a choice".
    So, if people are so sure - I'd like to know how they are so sure:

is this a choice you have personally made? To be straight? Because in order for homosexuality to be a choice, heterosexuality must also be a choice. I mean this in the most polite way - I'm curious, please enlighten me. I'll save my thoughts for later.
    PLEASE NOTE: I will not put up with people coming here just to insult people by name-calling, from either side. Understood? Polite, thoughtful conversation only...

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I am a heterosexual and I don't recall flipping a coin or having to make a choice. I was (naturally) attracted to women.

jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 11 years ago

In order to answer this question, one must first define "sexuality." If we're looking at sexuality as a preference for either males or females (same or opposite gender), that means something entirely different than the lifestyle choice that is known as homosexuality or heterosexuality.

I personally don't believe that a person has a choice in whether they are attracted to the same gender, opposite gender, or both. I won't go so far as to say that it's "natural" or that the hand of God is on sexual preference, but I do believe that it is innate, something that provides for cultural needs in a society (modern or primitive).

Sexual *activity,* on the other hand, along with lifestyle, is something that is *chosen* by the person choosing to engage in an alternative lifestyle. I've known straight females who "decide" that they want to engage in a homosexual lifestyle -- their confession, not me putting something on them. I've known gay males who lived with their wives and children for decades because they made the choice to mainstream their lifestyle.

Lifestyle is a choice. Preference is not. That sums up my feelings on it.

Thanks for your answer. A question - are you saying that whilst the preference is not a choice, whether to act on it is? Do we take this to mean that if pref is SS then the choice people say is 'wrong' is acting on it? What do you make of this?

2. windygreen profile image60
      windygreenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is more "wrong" to live in a lie to yourself and to others than to be truthfully who you naturally are.  Like living with a wolf in sheeps clothing - someday you will see the "sheep" naked, and at that moment the wolf will instinctually attack.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image86
      Everyday Miraclesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that is what is *meant* by homosexuality being wrong (acting on it) rather than the actual preference itself being wrong, but if you ask a number of people you're likely to get a number of different answers to the question.

4. windygreen profile image60
    windygreenposted 11 years ago

Yes. There is a choice. 
    A homosexual can choose to live their life unhappy, unfullfilled, and unsatisfied to please the masses, stay in the "norm", and not rock boats 
    OR
    they can be true to themselves and to others by pursuing what naturally makes them happy.

Thank you for your answer, Windy!

5. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

As far as I can tell sexuality is instinctive and not something subject to choice. A human is either instinctively drawn towards the male or female or both, or not, as in the case of certain asexual humans, who just are not sexual in any way.
    Once the instinct kicks in, then choice might come into play. For example, if I'm a hetero male and I find myself attracted to two girls, let's say twin sisters, I may choose to go out with sister A because she has certain cultural interests that I share and the relationship might go on from there.

Scientists may be able to tell us about the mechanics of sexuality - hormone C is excited by pheromone B which tells the brain to emit chemical XYZ and so on - and that's why young Bill is atttracted to young Ben -but the fundamental feelings are surely natural, and not intentionally brought on through willpower or use of the mind.

A woman I know went through most of her adult life as a hetereosexual, had 4 children with the same man in an orthodox marriage but when she reached the age of 40 fell in love with a younger female! She claims her gay tendencies were hidden by her very busy family life but when her children grew older she started to experience gay maturity! Instinctive, not something she thought up or consciously invited into her lifestyle.

Thank you for your insightful answer.

6. inaniLoquence profile image73
    inaniLoquenceposted 11 years ago

In my religion, people are free to choose to be homosexuals. However, it is advisable and homosexuals are urged to live a chaste life. Homosexuals who stay celibate have actually a harder time and the burden is great but it will be worth it once this temporary life is over.

Granted, that is what you believe - but did YOU personally CHOOSE your sexual preference? Did you think "right, I will be straight, because it is good for God?". Do you recall this decision? Was your sexuality a choice - is what I am asking

2. inaniLoquence profile image73
      inaniLoquenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I may have erred when I said that it is a choice. Here's what the church says about homosexuality:
      http://www.dignityusa.org/faq.html
      Note this: "as a state beyond a person’s choice"
      And I had leanings toward my own sex but I chose to be straight.

3. jlpark profile image79

Thanks for clarifying. Each to their own - as long as you are happy. I question choice because religion says so but if people are happy that's all that matters to me - I didn't choose but I wouldn't change it if I could - I hope you feel the same 4 u

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)