jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why is one sexuality considered a 'lifestyle', and the opposite isn't?

1. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

Why is one sexuality considered a 'lifestyle', and the opposite isn't?

Is it because people who used this term think it's a choice to be gay, and therefore live a 'gay lifestyle'. I'm trying to find out for an article I'm writing. Is there another reason? If you wish to elaborate on why you choose this term - it would be appreciated. Also if it's a 'choice' thing - why you think that.

2. Link10103 profile image76
    Link10103posted 3 years ago

I am sure choice plays a role to a degree in SOME people, not all. I think mostly those people are likely to be bisexual.

It also seems that people who call it a lifestyle and condem it are usually religious. If they aren't, then they call it unnatural on the grounds that A. Its different from what they do and B. It is not productive in terms of reproduction.

Either way, there doesnt seem to be any legitimate reason as to why its considered a chooseable lifestyle, let alone a morally bad lifestyle. None that i have seen anyway

jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree link re last paragraph. I do think it's some of what you mentioned in yr middle one - different, and not necessarily reproductive (to most...)

3. krillco profile image92
    krillcoposted 3 years ago

Here is what may be a lame attempt at humor: As a straight man, I can't seem to come close to the level of good taste and culture I see in many gay men...they seem to dress better, have better taste in decor, know all the best eateries and fine wines...and those who do not  have children have a more disposable income. As a married straight man, for me, at least, monogamy is is an ironclad contract, while I see gay men with somewhat open relationships. So yea, from a straight male perspective, there is a good bit of 'lifestyle' in the gay world. Now, please, no one take offense, I know that what I have said are generalizations and more than a few stereotypes. I'm an ally, just one who is a bit jealous of aspects of the 'lifestyle'.

Krillco - I'm grinning it's all good. I do see yr point tho - there is a bit of a lifestyle for some! Just style for the others!

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I believe a lot of people do feel that being gay is a "choice". However when asked do they remember (choosing) to be straight they'll admit they (naturally) were attracted to the opposite sex.
    In other instances I feel some people use the word "lifestyle" to illustrate they are accepting or 'tolerant" of those with a different "lifestyle". It's like a non black person saying; "Some of my best friends are black". This may well be true but their need to bring it up says more about how that person wants to be perceived by others. 
    Most people who use the word "lifestyle" mean well.They're just uncertain about how to discuss things.

Discuss as they would a heterosexual couple/person. Sexual orientation is just one part of a whole person. But I do see why it may be happening when you explain it that way - thanks!

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

To be totally honest it is just a habit. Why do you care? I could care less if someone said that I was living in a heterosexual lifestyle. Its all pins and needles I suppose. What may affect someone, another could care less if they are truly happy in their relationship. Another reason could be others could be walking on pins and needles not knowing what to call it. What do you want to be called? Im sure this would enlighten many as to the situation.

Lifestyle implies a choice, to me at least. What to call it - Why not treat it the same? Does orientation need mentioning? Mentioning it for the sake of it isn't necessary. If it's a habit - why did u use it to start with? I'm curious not offended.

working