Gay gene - hypothetically, how would it change your view?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 9 years ago

Gay gene - hypothetically, how would it change your view?

Whilst a genetic cause for homosexuality has not (yet) been found, most homosexual people state that their sexuality is NOT a choice, and many non-homosexual people state that Yes, it is a choice. If a genetic cause for homosexuality (or at least sexuality in general) was found - how would this change your thinking on the matter. I'm not looking for "its a sin"  or "they haven't found it..so ner" or anything of the sort - if it were found, how would things change? Would they change?

2. Robert the Bruce profile image59
    Robert the Bruceposted 9 years ago

The potential discovery of a "gay gene" would not really change my current attitude on the issue. Being a heterosexual man, I do not understand how a gay person thinks or feels, but I suspect that a genetic or otherwise scientific answer will be discovered in the near future.

I have a friend who is gay and I've tried to better comprehend how he eventually came to accept it. He was born into a pastor's home, was "born again," and yet struggled with his attractions throughout his adolescent and early adult life. He fought it for most of his life, believing that "God" was displeased with him for his struggles. Finally he realized that this was not something he "chose;" it had always been with him. Today he has accepted who he is and makes no apologies for it.

I tell you all this to say that if more heterosexual people actually took the time to befriend and get to know a few homosexual people, they would (I hope) realize that the issue is not so simple as "They rejected 'god' and chose to be gay." Hanging on to that explanation shows a deep ignorance of the issue and reveals their intellectual laziness.

jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Robert. I think if someone befriended a gay person, it would remove the fear of things they don't understand from it all - reducing the hatred out there. I'm curious to see what comes up though with some of the answers

2. The0NatureBoy profile image57
      The0NatureBoyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@ Bruce
      According to Karma's law, every man will have to experience as both genders and every ethnic everything any one has experiences incarnating as them.  You may not remember but you have or shall be to experience everything all others have.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

It is not in the genes perse'.  It is in the amount of chomozones and what kinds that makes the difference.  There are also many more sexually orientation than just the male and female.  Most people do not realize this and oftentimes will categorize everyone into one or the other...religion does a good job of dividing peoples by certain attributes, looks and other things.  Just becasue there sexual orientation is one or the other (or another) does not give anyone the right to bully them at all.  Most people do contribute to the working world, can wash dishes, do laundry, walk, run, raise children, have a job, fly on a plain, is intellegent and can think and can also converse with others and much more.
    Hypothetically it would not change my views per reasons that I just stated.  They are people, much like the rest of us around.

Thanks LG. I do agree with you, I'm curious to see if it would make a difference - removing the argument most commonly used against it.

4. Spongy0llama profile image81
    Spongy0llamaposted 9 years ago

It would not change anything for me. I am not religious and see no reason to condemn homosexuality, with or without a genetic cause.

Thanks Spongy.

5. The0NatureBoy profile image57
    The0NatureBoyposted 9 years ago

I see you are not looking for it but DNA testing has proven there is something in everyone pointing to their lifestyle being their nature.  In "serial killers" is found a strain which is only in them, although it is not published, and indicators to many other character traits in us.  In that light, homosexuality will not be changed in a person until they have become "spiritually born" where they have all of every man's DNA indicator strains in their indicator.  That is one reason YHWH has the definition "I AM THA I AM," when we are spiritually born we'll have every attribute known to man in us. 

Therefore, yes, they will change WHENEVER the DNA incarnates all the strains are in the body after they have changed their DNA, via the metamorphosis, into a spiritual or whole man.  Both terms, Adam's calling himself and Eve "wo...[ven from]...man and the term we often use today representing us, human, both indicates most man are incomplete man and only after the metamorphosis of the new birth will they change into a whole man.

Interesting The0. However if they found one, would it change how you think of homosexuality?

2. Robert the Bruce profile image59
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, NatureBoy...it would really be something if you had solid proof for your theory...but I suspect that you don't...

3. The0NatureBoy profile image57

@ JLPark @ Bruce,
      I know the girl who was instrumental in getting the DNA tests which proved "serial killers" has a strand no found in others DNA.  You should know b y now that at least 2/3 of real facts are not released by our government.

4. jlpark profile image79

Thats fine, The0 - but would your PERSONAL opinion change? I'm not looking for 'yes there is" or "no there isn't" - but what would change for you IF there was? If anything. If nothing would change about your opinion on homosexuality - thats fine too.

5. The0NatureBoy profile image57

No, I had a brother, 2 nephews, and several playmates who I treated like another person so long as they didn't attempt to impose themselves on me.  I grew up around it and never flinched unless they wanted me, I then let them know I had no interest.

6. jlpark profile image79

Thanks for the answer The0. Good to know

6. macteacher profile image79
    macteacherposted 9 years ago

I'm gay.  It is not a choice.  No one would willingly choose to be different, or be ostracized by family or their religious community, lose a job or housing. Nobody would go through that if they had a "choice."  We don't.  When the world comes to understand that they are punishing people for something that is completely beyond their control - like the color of their skin - only then will they understand the damage that discrimination causes to people who are simply trying to live their lives.

Thanks Macteacher. I do understand the 'choice' issue (please see my bio!), I'm merely curious as to how it would change those who think it is a choice opinions if there was a gene identified...and what they think would happen. THanks for you answer

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)