jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Do you choose to be homosexual or are you born that way?

1. Jade89 profile image84
    Jade89posted 6 years ago

Do you choose to be homosexual or are you born that way?

Many homosexual people may make statements such as “ever since I was young I remember feeling like I should have been a boy / girl…” or “As far back as I could remember, I always new I was different. Inside I felt like a boy/ girl...”
    Does this differ for different people?

2. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 6 years ago

I know that as far back as I can remember I have been straight. If a homosexual has different memories, who am I to say otherwise, I wasn't there when he made them. I tend to take the word of, and believe homosexuals rather than those telling you it's a choice and basing this on the fact that they  have never, knowingly met a homosexual.

Use a little common sense when selecting the source of information you base your decisions on, and the answer will show up soon enough. my point is, if you have a serious question about raising horses, dont go ask the guy who plays the tuba in the a swing band. You will get actual facts about horses from a horse breeder in my opinion. You got some questions about history, see a historian. Need info on science, ask a scientist.. Got a question about gender identity, don't ask the homophobic, all they got is fear, hell fire, and damnation, lol.  Best wishes if this is the journey your on,  Great question if not. Peace

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i honestly believe that people are born gay, though due to societies ignorance, they spend their lives acting as though they are straight. religion has made being gay a terrible thing , so many people have hidden their true sexuality.

4. spookyfox profile image71
    spookyfoxposted 6 years ago

No one's born homosexual, but no one's born heterosexual either! Yet I don't think it's really a matter of choice. Whoever says it is (someone straight), I dare them to, just to prove me wrong, go out and choose to be gay for one night and enjoy it.

Like most choices, 'something' else makes it for us, our unconscious, enviroment, habit, other's behaviors, genes, etc., but we tend to rationalize and justify that choice as a truly ours after it happened, to justify it.

The only choice one has in the matter is whether to be open and admit it or repress it and hide.

5. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

I think, IMO, It depends on how you grow up. I started "liking" boys in 6th grade. I never liked girls like that. No one is born homosexual or straight. Your childhood is what determines what gender you like.

6. platinumOwl4 profile image75
    platinumOwl4posted 6 years ago

50% percent of the genetic material is from the mother and the remaining 50% is from the father. Now, I believe depending on the up bring and television that people watch 24/7 can tilt the mental mindset from one side to the other. Television producer have spent millions to keep you glued to a series.For instance there are several episodes in the Television series Dynasty  that promote this lifestyle.(made it acceptable)  Psychiatrist are well aware of the consequences of a child viewing this material constantly.

7. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 6 years ago

just me. if you born with a penis to me you should be a man and want women and the same when you are born with a virgina, you should be a woman and want men, living life do dictated on your decision and what ever it is for a man or a woman to me decide to be gay it there business and there choice and that person have to live with it and if they happy with it or not, me don't care for I respect all people and disrespect the one who do me. to each there own and live and let live.

8. KateWest profile image78
    KateWestposted 6 years ago

I think everyone has an inherent nature and that yes, you are most likely born with certain inclinations. I'm no scientist but from listening to gay people and being absolutely aware of my own heterosexuality, I think we are what we are. End of story.

9. puddingicecream profile image73
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

People are inclined to be attracted to certain types of people; they can't help it. Love is love.

10. rob_allen profile image83
    rob_allenposted 6 years ago

I think it depends, I know a lot of homos and I have lesbians and gay friends. My lesbo friend, i know her since first grade, she told me that she already know that she's different even when we were kids.

I also have friends who are homo by choice. One of them outed in college where he was surrounded with tons of gay friends.

I dont know, but i think, being homo could be in the genes or by choice.

11. JGoul profile image61
    JGoulposted 6 years ago

I think there is clearly more to it than simply being born that way, but it's just as clearly not a simple choice. 

Back when I was religious, I used to explain why it wasn't a choice like this:  I enjoy looking at women, and am frequently tempted to have sex with them.  I don't do so because I resist the temptation.  I have never resisted the temptation to have sex with men.

At the same time, there is extremely strong evidence that environmental factors influence the likelihood that someone will prove to be gay.

12. MazioCreate profile image72
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

Interesting question and one that has been bandied around for who knows how long. Why?  Simple! No one knows why you are straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender.  Your sexuality is of little importance in this world,  what really counts is your consideration of your fellow humans and life on this planet. I think Puddingicecream summed it up with - love is love.