jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How necessary is physical contact?

1. Rae-LeighDawn profile image59
    Rae-LeighDawnposted 3 years ago

How necessary is physical contact?

How much do we depend on physical touch to survive and thrive? Can a person be mentally, physically and emotionally strong without it?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

Put yourself in this imaginary scene:  You are an astronaut who has landed on a planet far removed from earth with no chance of rescue.   There are supplies of all sorts, enough for the next fifty years.  Moreover, you do have radio contact and can actually beam videos of yourself to those on earth.  Those on earth can do the same.  So you can hear and see other people but you cannot touch them physically - How would you FEEL about that?

You might survive for quite a long while.  But would you thrive?   

Your emotions will provide you with the answer.

3. tiagodamiao profile image81
    tiagodamiaoposted 3 years ago

Tusitala Tom is right. the answer is in your emotions. wink

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

If by "necessary" you mean that without it one would die than I'd say physical contact is not a need or necessary. In fact as adults we only have 5 true needs.
    1. Air 2. Water 3. Food 4. Shelter 5. Clothing (It's the law in most places) Naturally all of these things are available in any county jail.
    Most of us however want more out of life than then what is "necessary" to live. We desire physical contact, love & romance, as well as various material possessions to enhance our lives.
    You could live without having physical contact with another person but most people wouldn't be "happy" living that way.

1. Rae-LeighDawn profile image59
      Rae-LeighDawnposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am curious if the need is stronger for women then for men. Thank you for your thoughts dashing smile

5. m abdullah javed profile image79
    m abdullah javedposted 3 years ago

Physical intimacy is a natural phenomenon without which 'a pious survival is impossible'. Thats the reason we find the concept of marriage in every religion. Marriage is actually a license for physical touch. It is a human tendency to go physical similar to the urges they have about other basic necessities. If you go a bit deep into this you will surely find that our Creator has associated a kind of happiness with it. If one goes for this act he actually tries to get that happiness, it is as if drinking water to quench the thirst and eating food to beat the hunger. In my view physical contact is quite essential without which a stable, healthy and prosperous life is next to impossible.

6. Rae-LeighDawn profile image59
    Rae-LeighDawnposted 3 years ago

I do believe I understand what you are saying m abdullah, and I agree

working