Would you remain friends with someone that took things from your home?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

Would you remain friends with someone that took things from your home?

If you entrusted a friend to watch your home while you were away and found out that they took some items ,would you remain friends? When confronted, they didn't think it was a big deal since you were not using them.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

I would choose not to remain "friends' with someone I cannot trust. I'd never let them watch my home or be around my belongings.

3. Edward J. Palumbo profile image84
    Edward J. Palumboposted 9 years ago

All good friendships are rooted in trust. No is no latitude for theft in friendship. If I've entrusted someone with my home and that trust was violated by theft, I would retrieve those items and that relationship would end. My belongings are mine to use or set aside until I use them again; it is not someone else's decision whether the item is "expendable" or not. If they wanted or admired it, they may ask and, in friendship, I may give it to them, but anything taken without my permission is stolen, and I don't react tolerantly to that.

Stacie Lposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree;its an issue of trust.When trust is broken;it's difficult to mend.

4. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

I might if the person had a real issue, and I could get them back. Someone I know had a friend whom she suspected of taking items but could never prove it. They remained friends with a cool relationship. In general, I would not remain friends with that person, even if they said you were not using it. That is a poor excuse for stealing items from a friend. I like trustworthy friends, and most folks probably feel the same.

I think that they may have some issues as you said. I like trustworthy friends and they are getting scarce today.

5. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

depends, if best or close friends, I would tell them to return my things and then keep my things when they visit, still keep in touch

6. realtalk247 profile image77
    realtalk247posted 9 years ago

Heck no.  If I trust you and you violate my trust you are displaying bad character.

What if this friend had an impulse control problem?

2. realtalk247 profile image77
      realtalk247posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Stacie L, That sounds like an excuse. If the friend has an impulse control problem that I would have one too. I would impulsively remove them from my life and take control of being around someone with better morals and character.

7. profile image50
    Nick Poulopoulosposted 9 years ago

Absolutely not. A "friend" who steals from you is someone that you can no longer call a friend. Also the fact that they did not think it was a big deal just goes to show that they are not aware of their own faults and bad decisions. Over the weekend I had a party, someone who I have called my best friend and said he was like a brother to me stole from me. He took over 30 thousand dollars worth of merchandise. He went through all of the jewelry boxes in the house and emptied out all of them, took electronics from wherever he could find them, and just about anything else that he might have liked or thought had value. He did this while everyone was around, he just apparently would sneak off for a minute or two and start emptying things into a backpack and did that all night long. Someone who was driving him home noticed an item I said was missing and let me know so the police arrested him and found him with some of the stolen goods but plenty of them are still missing. Hell, he went through peoples wallets and took credit and debit cards from any of them that he could get access to. Went to his house the next day to pick up something I had left there and somewhat confronted him about all of this stealing. He literally acted like he had done nothing wrong, like nothing had happened, and wasn't understanding why I was so angry and disappointed with him. I will never speak to him again after this because the level of betrayal is beyond comprehension for anyone who knows him. He couldn't even come up with a reason why he did it, just that he was going to pawn anything he could for money. So the fact that someone I called a friend committed such a terrible act means that he is not actually a friend. It seems like you are in the same boat, if someone you call a friend takes things from you they betrayed you, they broke a trust which you had with them and depending on how badly they've hurt you decides if it can be repaired. Trust is a major foundation on which friendship is built and if you cannot trust somebody how can you be friends with them? In situations where trust has been broken that means that friendship is broken. Someone who would steal from a friend is someone who is toxic and needs to be cut off and out of your life. Obviously if this person was watching your house you trusted them a lot and they would be a close friend but taking stuff is something that just destroys anything between you. End everything with this person so it doesn't happen again.

Well, that's quite a story!
      That "friend" sounds like a criminal who may have seen you as an easy target. I hope you are more careful in the future.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)