jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If marriage is a sacred institution then why it is doomed to be the butt of joke

1. Sundeep Kataria profile image73
    Sundeep Katariaposted 2 years ago

If marriage is a sacred institution then why it is doomed to be the butt of jokes forever?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

At least in the U.S. very few things rise to the level of being too sacred to crack jokes about. During childhood oftentimes friends where I grew up made jokes about each other's mother!
    Finding humor in something doesn't mean it's unimportant.

3. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years ago

Sundeep Kataria,
    People make fun of marriage because they wish they were living in a good one. They don't know how they'll ever achieve such a blissful situation with another person, so they mock it.
    Lisa

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I do wonder about some of those lazy husband/nagging wife jokes. There is a threshold where harmless comedy becomes bitter jabs. I'd like to think that the people who say these things are actually happy with their spouse, but it certainly doesn't sound like it. But, I suspect that the majority of happy couples just don't talk about their relationship at all, so their side is underrepresented.

5. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12515192_f260.jpg

In my faith, it is indeed a sacred institution and I believe it will continue to be sacred, with or without jokes. When two become one through this Sacrament they are bringing God into the frey, if you will, and historically that has strengthened the union.
    My God, "man" if it wasn't for His help I would not have had a chance at continuous bliss with my Aine True Love. I need all of the help I can get! I could not have done it without Him!

working