jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)

Why do people make cruel jokes about the Japan disaster?

1. HumanPerception profile image92
    HumanPerceptionposted 7 years ago

Why do people make cruel jokes about the Japan disaster?

2. profile image48
    harryw45posted 7 years ago

People who make fun of any disaster specially the magnitude of the Japan disaster are ignorant and unfeeling possibly just evil..

3. Joan1 profile image57
    Joan1posted 7 years ago

Everybody has their own way of dealing with emotional things.
    Some people don't know how to deal with their feelings, which makes them uncomfortable.
    Making a joke about the elephant in the room (a joke in itself) can relief the pressure.

Most people making jokes about horrible things like the disaster in Japan are in denial of reality.
    "If I act like it's not real and it's all just a joke, then I don't have to deal with the gravity of the situation"

4. ThatFatGuy profile image81
    ThatFatGuyposted 7 years ago

Humor has always been based off the ridicule and misfortunes of others. Try to think of one funny joke that doesn't make fun of a person,place, or thing. As far as the disaster in Japan, people are insensitive, do not realize the gravity of the situation, or honestly do not care.

5. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 7 years ago

Simple, they are cruel and uncaring people without empathy.

6. lilibees profile image60
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

I agree with harryw45, down right evil people. i can not imagine what the Japanese people are going through with this horrible disaster and I would never pretend to. Nor would I make jokes about the disaster or any disater!

7. DannyMaio profile image61
    DannyMaioposted 7 years ago

they must have mental issues. some things just are not funny!

8. Lou4.0 profile image56
    Lou4.0posted 7 years ago

Its just plain lack of respect and values.

9. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

In my opinion I think those people use humor as a way to deflect true emotions. I would say that the majority of the offenders are male, and more than likely do not want to "appear weak" by showing genuine emotion or empathy.

10. profile image0
    Dandraposted 7 years ago

Because they are stupid.                                                                    .

11. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 7 years ago

Having read all the previous posts I have some agreement with both sides.
    People can be really cruel and make jokes about any disaster, any death, any misfortune, basically anything that is different, this gives the impression that the creator of the joke is a cruel, evil person. But, this joke creator is trying to bring laughter and providing that the recipients of such jokes are carefully chosen and on the same level as the creator, there seems to be no harm done.
    Though should the sick joke reach someone directly affected by the unfortunate subject, such as a person who has lost a family member or their home, then that would cause unnecessary hurt. Just to make a point, we could all be affected by the Japan disaster!
    I personally don't appreciate such jokes and should I receive one, as a text message, as an Email or even verbally, I would chose to totally ignore it.

12. Merlin Fraser profile image77
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

I really think a lot of people need to lighten up and stop taking the world and themselves sooo seriously....

Humour in any situation is a way many people deal with a crisis, humour no matter how dark relieves tense situations as does laughter.   I'm sure you have all heard the expression "I didn't know wheher to Laugh or Cry !"

Why do we laugh when we see something terrible happen to someone else ?  Because we are pleased that it didn't happen to us ...Perhaps ?

By it's very nature humour is always going to be cruel to someone, and offensive to some however it's a sad fact of life that NORMAL isn't funny !

Stop taking life so seriously none of us will get out of it alive !

13. ChristineVianello profile image61
    ChristineVianelloposted 7 years ago

Some people use comedy when they are upset.

14. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 7 years ago

For some it is the easiest way thet know how to deal with tragidy. In darkness theres always light!

15. philirodje profile image59
    philirodjeposted 7 years ago

I don't think anybody would make cruel jokes with someone else s disaster. anyhow, whoever does that is wicked.

16. PaulStaley1 profile image75
    PaulStaley1posted 7 years ago

I truly believe in the inherent worth and dignity of every human being.  The people that make these cruel, ignorant jokes can be good, kind people in other aspects of their lives. I don't agree with the jokes- but the world is not black and white.  An education that includes empathy should be more universally taught creating a society with a more profound emotional intelligence.  Also these "jokes" are found mostly on the internet, anonymity, can bring out ugly half truths about ourselves.

working