Trump Jokes About Shooting Immigrants at the Border

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Sychophantastic profile image80
    Sychophantasticposted 5 years ago

I once made a joke about this very same thing and my post was deleted.

Why was my post deleted? Because it was an incendiary, horrible thing to suggest and might incite somebody to actually go shoot an immigrant.

Yet, here we have the POTUS hearing somebody yell out "Shoot them!" and not immediately denouncing the statement, which as far as the President goes, might as well be tacit support.

Now, to be clear, I doubt the President supports such a thing and this is probably why his supporters like him - he doesn't immediately play politics with statements like that. However, while he may think it's a joke, I don't really think the person who yelled it out thinks it's a joke nor do I think the people at the rally think it's a joke.

Set let that sink in - the solution to the immigrant issue is simply to murder them all according to people at the Trump rally.

That's what our nation is coming to - people sitting on the border shooting people.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/09/politics … index.html

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was ban on hubpage for suggesting Trump has a small penis because of his small hands, and his missiles ego. Lol.

People don't realize more Mexican die over the boarder drugs wars than they do over in Iraqi and Afghanistan.

2. peterstreep profile image80
      peterstreepposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To me it looks as Americans are obsessed with guns, and the president is the mirror of the American society. Apparently that's ok. As it is ok for the many Trump voters that he made the statement : "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters,”
      Apparently Trump voters are used to violence and except it as the norm.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Most Americans are not obsessed with guns.

It just happens that the National Rifle Association is a powerful lobby with an enormous amount of money. They fight gun laws every step of the way.

It also happens that Trump voters own a lot of guns -- many of them for good reasons (hunters and farmers) and some of them for bad.

1. peterstreep profile image80

I do believe you Promisem but it is the image America has nowadays. And maybe most americans aren’t bothered by the image the US has abroad. But thanks to the behaviour of president Trump Europe does not see the US as a natural ally anymore.
          Pompeo is warmongering against Iran at the moment, and as we all know a war is always great for ellections. Problem for Trump is though that he is probably on his own. Because of his tweets and rhetoric Europe is not eager to help him and the UK has their own Brexit problem.

1. profile image0

Yes, gun nuts and Trump have severely damaged America's international reputation. Many of us are ashamed of what they have done to our country.

And yes, Trump is itching for a war, but I think he wants one to make people forget about all of the Russia investigations.

2. profile image0
            RTalloniposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Those that oppose President Trump also own guns, and/or are protected by people owning/carrying them. Not all of those people should be trusted with one.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I doubt any reasonable person took that statement about standing in the middle of the street and shooting someone as anything but ignorant.

But, we do consider guns a right. That will not be abridged. Although we have a democracy, we understand how quickly liberty can be taken by a tyrannical government. I think the recent example of Venezuela should not be forgotten as an example of how rapidly things can devolve if we let down our guard.

1. profile image0

Do you think all rights have a limit?

1. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Only when it impacts others (which gun ownership does, to a small amount).

"Limit" does not imply, however, that gun ownership should either be banned or so difficult to accomplish that no one can do it. "Shall not be infringed" makes that very clear even though we do apply limits.

Only one thing that sounds sane enough to make a good point for guns.

If the American military complex attacked American citizens. They would need their guns incase of a complete take over by the Powers to Be.
              Point made by Jessi Ventura

Or any other countries.  Or criminals when police is more than 30 seconds away (that's always). 

Or, perhaps most important, because there is no good reason to deny them.  It's called "freedom", and is what our country is based on.  We have suffered enough with the not-so-gradual loss of personal freedom - there is no reason to allow it to happen again.

No other country would dare to attack America with public guns or without the public gun.

The US military complex is way too much power and the scariest, it unimaginable for anyone to attack them.

Please,  Don't attack Canada for our water.  Because we got so....many fighting men as hunters and hockey players.

Really?  Was the Taliban a "country", albeit one without the geography?  Was Japan a country 80 years ago?  Germany?

2. Live to Learn profile image60

What type of limit? Crazy people can't have one? Convicted felons can't? Ones like that?

2. peterstreep profile image80

There is no connection between owning a gun and guarding democracy.
          In many not democratic countries people own a gun.
          In many democratic countries people don’t own a gun.

However you interpret the statement, the statement is made. And it is these un-presidential statements that makes President Trump unreliable as a partner. He may touch base with a part of his voters but he lost international credibility and trust.

1. Live to Learn profile image60

All public figures make ridiculous statements. To pretend otherwise is displaying bias.

Really? In the same quantities as president Trump does?

I'll be honest. The president can seem an ass. The media can edit to increase the foolish nature of his words.

I have faith in people on this immigration crisis. We are fairly united in our desire to welcome those who follow immigration procedure. We are at odds as to how many can just shove their way into our good graces.

As wilderness pointed out, Trump didn't appear to be condoning, simply commenting on the oddity such a statement would be considered appropriate.

I am much more concerned about many other things going on in our country than a guy at a rally saying something ignorant.

I understand that. But it's not the first time this  "guy" who happens to be the president, made an ignorant remark. One slip of the tong happens to the best of us, but if you continue to make ignorant remarks, especially as a president of a country (and one of the most powerful countries as such)
                  You could question his credentials for the job. As it breaks up international relationships.

You have to be at awe from Trump's lying, ridiculous statement, and false promises in the whole world of leaders and Presidents. Not even Mussolini can hold a candle to this megamaniac. What country kills their neighbor's people at the rate that US dose today. Trump wall, he says, is because of the drugs Mexican bring in.   Most of the drugs are coming in through the regurlar boarder crossing. Still it's not even a drop in a  bucket from the sea of green. Trump says they bring crime. Not at as high rate of crime as native American.

He puts his foot in his mouth, like no other in the world.

2. wilderness profile image96

"But it's not the first time this  "guy" who happens to be the president, made an ignorant remark. "

What "ignorant" remark?  That only the hillbillies of the panhandle would think of such a thing?  I can understand those people might not be very happy, but outside of that, what makes it "ignorant"?  Just that those hating the man will twist and spin it into "jokes about shooting immigrants at the border", as the title of this thread suggests?

3. Live to Learn profile image60

Take heart. If Biden takes the next election we'll all have another ass in  office making ignorant remarks.

Which countries with a heavily armed citizenry have descended into a dictatorship?  We know of several with an unarmed people that did - which ones with enough guns to arm everyone in the country did?

Afghanistan, iraq, iran, angola, ivory coast, congo...should I go on.

Most of Europe have democracies and people definatly are not armed like the US.

No, they are not armed like Americans.  And haven't been for a few decades.

Wonder what we'll see there in a couple hundred years?

But I'm shocked that there is a gun for every person in Afghanistan and Iran.  I wonder just how terrorists manage to do so well in such countries, when every home has a gun or two yet they shoot up schools, conscript young boys for their army, etc.

hard to say. Afghanistan and Iran are countries in war for generations. clans fighting clans.
                  I think that lack of education or one sided indoctrination leads to extremism which leads to terrorism. It comes in handy when guns are easily available..

wildernessposted 5 years ago

"Trump Jokes About Shooting Immigrants at the Border"

An interesting thread title...but one that has exactly zero to do with the facts.  From the link in the OP, his reply to someone else making a comment about shooting illegal aliens crossing the border:

"That's only in the Panhandle you can get away with that statement," the President then said with a smile, with the crowd erupting into laughter. "Only in the Panhandle!"

So Trump didn't joke about shooting people; he made a joke about people that would make such a statement.  Is there no end to the spin and twisting of words in order to demonize our President?

Sychophantasticposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Correct. I described this in the body of the thread.

He laughed about it and didn't denounce what was being said. Think about what was said. He didn't denounce the person, but attempted to sympathize.

And it's not so much a denunciation of President Trump - after all, he didn't say it, but of the people at his rallies. But since he doesn't want to alienate those people, he puts up with comments like this.

"He laughed about it and didn't denounce what was being said. Think about what was said. He didn't denounce the person, but attempted to sympathize."

Really?  I read his statement as poking fun at anyone stupid enough to advocate wholesale slaughter at the border.  I take that as a denouncement of anyone saying such a thing - a clear "statement" (particularly when coupled with his earlier statements) that it was not acceptable.

He laughed, then, at the mindset producing the comment, not at the comment.  Of course, I'm not looking for something to fault him with, but at the actual statement he made.

1. IslandBites profile image89
          IslandBitesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

He laughed at the mindset and poked fun at stupid people that advocate this?

Trump, speaking to a crowd of thousands in Panama City Beach, noted the U.S. Border Patrol agents are not allowed to carry weapons to deter illegal crossings.

“And don’t forget, we don’t let them and we can’t let them use weapons,” Trump said of the border agents. “We can’t. Other countries do. We can’t. I would never do that. But how do you stop these people? You can’t.”

“Shoot them!” someone yelled from the crowd, according to reporters and attendees at the rally.

The audience cheered while Trump smiled and shook his head.

“That’s only in the Panhandle you can get away with that statement,” Trump joked. “Only in the Panhandle.”

This is not the first time Trump has referenced the lack of weapons at the U.S.-Mexico border.

While speaking with Fox News host and confidant Sean Hannity in March, Trump said the use of guns would be “very effective” even though it was not an option.

“Other countries stand there with machine guns, ready to fire,” Trump said at the time. “We can’t do that. I wouldn’t want to do that, OK? It’s a very effective way of doing it, but I wouldn’t want to do it. We can’t do it.”

I would say so.  How else can you interpret “That’s only in the Panhandle you can get away with that statement,” Trump joked. “Only in the Panhandle.”?

Coupled with “And don’t forget, we don’t let them and we can’t let them use weapons,” Trump said of the border agents. “We can’t. Other countries do. We can’t. I would never do that"

and

“Other countries stand there with machine guns, ready to fire,” Trump said at the time. “We can’t do that. I wouldn’t want to do that, OK? It’s a very effective way of doing it, but I wouldn’t want to do it. We can’t do it.”

what I see is Trump denying the use of weapons and poking fun at people that advocate it.  What do YOU see?  Trump saying shoot them?

Admittedly, given how we parse his language on other things, that's an acceptable interpretation.

I guess what I'm getting at is that by not explicitly denouncing such statements on the spot, he tacitly endorses the statement and tries to make sure he doesn't alienate those kinds of people who support him because he needs them. There are a lot of them.

2. IslandBites profile image89

No. What I see is Trump saying we can't, but other countries do and it works.

And a simple statement of fact, while denying we will do the same, is what you consider joking and laughing at the idea of killing illegals?

Did I said that?

That IS what the thread is about - Trump laughing at the thought of killing illegals crossing the border.  What DID you mean if not that?  Were you simply stating what Trump said - a demonstrably true fact without emotional overtones?

3. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

I read where Antifa was busted for attempting to purchase guns and storm ice at the border. So, it appears the left are the ones who,as you say, dream of sitting at the border shooting people.

I don't know what, intellectually, this kind of response has to do with anything. Please provide a link to this story.

There's a video of the incident I cited, so you can watch it.

I think using intellectually in any manner when referring to this thread might be a stretch.

Edit. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne … ber-report

There you go.

So, the very central difference here is that in one instance we're discussing Trump's base and in the other we're discussing a fringe group that, while leftists, are not representative of positions taken by nor are they supported by Democrats. I, along with every Democrat I know, would categorically denounce what those people are alleged to have done.

It's like saying that it appears the right are the ones that dream of sitting at the border shooting people.

A right-wing militia group called United Constitutional Patriots has begun stopping migrant families at gunpoint in southern New Mexico and detaining them before U.S. Border Patrol agents arrive, The New York Times reported last month.

The group’s leader, Larry Hopkins, was arrested last month on charges of being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition.

The 69-year-old reportedly bragged two years ago that the group's members had received training to assassinate figures such as former President Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and prominent Democratic donor George Soros.

4. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago

What is so surpriseing about psychopath boarder police and Trump laughing about shooting Mexicans. Nazis laughed like hell too. About 29,000 murders have been involved in these  Mexican drug wars in 2018. Across the boarder in the United States, nearly 70,000 people died from drug overdoses, over three times as many as were dying annually less than two decades ago. More Americans now die every year from overdoses than died in the entire Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq wars.. US,... Just try one solution!!! Totally legalized marijuana and most of your problems will go away. The legal marrijanna states have also reduced overall drug overdose by 25%. Or keep these lawyers and drug cartel the winners, and carry on the insanity of creating more murderers. Like screwing a whore to make her a virgin.

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

Our president knows how to cater to his base and still claim innocence.  He is a manipulative, lying con artist who embarrasses our nation.

Trump has a future in comedy and pro wrestling. I am quilty of laughing so hard  it kills me until I cry.

6. JAKE Earthshine profile image66
    JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years ago

This is nothing new, same nut jobs different decade: The racist Trump type crazies here in the USA once shouted "Shoot em" when Scottish, Irish, German and Polish immigrants tried to enter this country but the immigrants just IGNORED the threats, stayed strong and determined and they prevailed:

The Mexicans who are the flavor of this decade for these paranoid insecure cowards will also stay strong just like immigrants of decades past and they will prevail over the unbridled HATE residing in our oval office:

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)