jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is honor, and does it even matter anymore?

1. swalia profile image47
    swaliaposted 2 years ago

What is honor, and does it even matter anymore?

2. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

I saw a Chinese movie, in fact a few, where the girl becomes compromised, then takes her own life. I saw one today where she was only accused of lying and also took her own life. These are quite serious things for some. It's a bit like growing up with fear of the occult. Not easy to take away.

In my last Hub I speak of going to the Root or at least starting from the Root which is God. I cannot say that in an impulsive moment, that we all start from there.

Again, many of us are literally held in chains by customs. As such we live in the head and not in the childlike Heart.

Honour in whatever form, does still matter to many, and would depend on personal choices and individual accountability. I may not feel this way, but am practical enough to understand that I will not change others. It is really an individual thing and a matter of inner and personal growth.

To shake of the taboo, in whatever form. it all goes back to the Root. Prayer or Meditation (Spiritual Practice) is the ultimate answer to all life's problems.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12702990_f260.jpg

Honor is living up to (your) personal moral code.
    Everyone has their (own) principles or honor code they live by.
    Example: "If I say I'm going to do something I will do it." might be one. However every practical person knows human beings make mistakes! Wallowing in guilt and "shame" doesn't change the past.
    Therefore taking one's life because they weren't able to be their "ideal self" is a ridiculous action. No one lives long without having failed at times to live up to their expectations.
    Taking oneself too seriously and expecting "perfection" leads to severe depression when life throws it's inevitable curves. You have to learn to evolve and ride the waves.
    You have to be able to "forgive" yourself in order to love yourself.
    Sadly a lot of people are not in control of their own beliefs.
    In some parts of the world "individuality" is discouraged. Their culture and elders (determine) what your "honor" and "morals" are. If the individual can't live up to (their expectations) or is made to feel like a "failure" this could make them suicidal.
    Life is a (personal) journey.
    Don't let other people (tell you) how to live (your) life!
    You're entitled to have (your own) moral code and honor system.
    Accept the fact that you are a human being and will make mistakes.

4. RLWalker LM profile image75
    RLWalker LMposted 2 years ago

Honor is a social and personal, abstract concept of respect (for self and other) and esteem (for self and other).

It is powered by the emotions of shame and pride.

Its effects are dictated by the objects associated with an individuals sense of shame and pride and so honor can exist in effect towards many different directions, or objects of ones honor. Family, state, race, faction but always and never without the self as the central object of esteem as this also forms the very core of the emotions of shame and pride.

It is like cutting through to the core of an individual, to the deepest and most receptive organs, hardwiring them surgically to a complex but well organised and thought out circuit board.

It is very effective at utilizing a human beings volition, towards certain, often very good ends.

But if your talking about honor in the proper sense of a societal system based on honor like Bushido, I personally opt out, of that and many other forms of honor.

working