How do I comfort a friend who has just received a terminal cancer diagnosis?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Kim Bryan profile image94
    Kim Bryanposted 2 years ago

How do I comfort a friend who has just received a terminal cancer diagnosis?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

You'd have to be very tactful about this, but there are huge numbers of people who have 'recovered' from a so-called 'terminal' diagnosis.   Greg Anderson writes in one of his books that he was diagnosed with cancer and told he had only about three months left to live.  He as still very much alive and healthy twelve years later.

Louise L Hay was also diagnosed with cancer.  That was years ago.  Last Youtube I saw her on she was over eighty and still going strong.

I once attended a medical-type conference where the main speaker was a woman who said she'd been told she had six months to live...six years before she appeared on stage as one of the conference's main speakers.

As I recall it, Greg Anderson started an organization called Cancer Conquerors.   Maybe it's still going.   Be worth looking up their website.  I assume they have one, BEFORE, speaking to your friend again.

1. Nicole Young 07 profile image64
      Nicole Young 07posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I searched for the Cancer Conqueror website, and I was able to come across Greg's website (greganderson.org). Also, I came across another website, which is quite unique (cancertalk.letsfcancer) that offers a time for you to have the "cancer talk"

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Offer to reduce the burden of things, like cleaning the house or cooking meals so they can spend more time and energy with family to create memories.

4. Besarien profile image84
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

When my mom got cancer, we told her that we all had cancer and were all going to get through it together with her. I think she appreciated not feeling alone and not getting written off as dead already.

Some of her friends were literally never seen again. They might have told themselves they would be in the way or that she needed to be with her family. She felt betrayed and like a pariah. She believed them to be fair-weather friends and had trouble remembering the good times..

Real friends are there in good times and in bad. Let her know you are her friend forever.Tell her she can count on you for anything she needs whether that is a kick in the butt or a shoulder to cry on. Try to see her as much as you can. Bring her gossip, photos, magazines, knock-knock jokes, and chicken soup.

Doctors are practicing medicine because one day they hope to get good at it. I believe God is the only one who knows whether or not your friend is terminal with cancer. Maybe He hasn't made up his mind yet either. Don't let her give up. It isn't over until it is over.

In the meantime, take good care of yourself. Enjoy her for however long she's here. Don't have any regrets. Wishing you and your friend all the best. I hope you grow old together. You both are in my prayers.

5. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

When I was diagnosed with cancer, the things the helped me most were offers of help with everyday things. Some friends brought food while I was being treated, or sent gift certificates to places where I could order things online, to be delivered. One friend came over and spent a few hours weeding my front garden, and offered to do my laundry. One friend volunteered to drive me to my doctor appointments, and visit me every day while I was in the hospital, to see if I needed anything. One emailed to tell me that if anything happened to me, she would come and get my dog, and take care of him for the rest of his life.

I also had friends who said that if I needed anything, I could call them. That's not as helpful as it sounds. Being sick makes you feel very vulnerable, and it's hard to ask for help. The best help I had was from people who listened when I talked, and read when I posted online, and raised their hands to say that they could help with whatever was a hassle that day.

There are so many things that you have to deal with, and take care of, when you have a devastating illness. Not having to deal with some of them made my life easier. So, think of what you can do for this friend to ease his or her burden, and do it, or arrange it, or organize it.

6. Nicole Young 07 profile image64
    Nicole Young 07posted 2 years ago

Once you are diagnosed with the dreaded C disease, there are lots of things that you need to deal with, including the chronic pain associated with the illness. If you have a friend or loved ones that is stricken with cancer, it would be heartbreaking to see them struggle and battle the disease, however, we have to help them just so they will feel that there is someone who cares for them despite having the illness. The help of family and friends is essential to the overall care of a cancer patient. We must understand that each individual is unique, therefore, their bodies react differently to the disease and the treatment, and when you are diagnosed with cancer, your sense of control is usually affected and disrupted so it is important that we offer physical, mental, psychological and emotional support to them. Spending more time with them will greatly help them overcome sadness and depression. I personally believe that telling them about amazing cancer survivor stories will greatly inspire them, just like the story of Sharon and Charles (newhopemedicalcenter.com/amazing-cancer-survivor-stories) who have terminal cancer but are now cancer free to this day, so they will not lose hope and continue to live their lives even when diagnosed with terminal cancer.

7. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12951651_f260.jpg

I believe it really all comes down to the personality of your friend.
    Their beliefs/outlook about death/afterlife might also come into play.
    Not everyone who gets a terminal diagnosis spirals into a deep depression. One of my aunts spent her remaining months organizing her funeral and reception right down to the music selection & caterer.
    I've known other people who had a couple of "bucket list" items they wanted to experience before making their transition.
    Oftentimes we imagine what (we) would want to do if we knew we only had a certain amount of time to live. For a lot of folks it may be going on a vacation or do some special activity. Eat whatever..
    For others it may be they want to make peace with any friends or family members they drifted apart from.
    Some people with young children have been known to record some life's lessons for them to view or listen to when they got older.
    Just find out how your friend wants to celebrate their remaining time.
    Ideally the goal should be to {make the most} out of every breath.
    Once again it all comes down to their outlook and personality.

1. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A beautifully written and most insightful answer.   And as it has been said to me, "It is not what you achieve in life, it is what you become as a human being.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)