jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Can a Catholic marry a Non-Catholic?

1. mahsa setareh profile image81
    mahsa setarehposted 22 months ago

Can a Catholic marry a Non-Catholic?

I've always wondered if catholics and non-catholics can get married..Is there a rule? Does the other person have to become catholic?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12973146_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 22 months ago

It happens all of the time these days.
    Most people don't let religion interfere with matters of the heart.
    However if one strictly follows religious dogma they may feel being  married to someone of the same faith is a "must have".
    This is especially true if they plan to have children whom they want indoctrinated into their faith.

1. mahsa setareh profile image81
      mahsa setarehposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Do they need to have the permission of the church or the father to get married or no?

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 22 months ago

As far as I know there is no rule about that.  As long as neither of them have been divorced.  I guess Catholic churches will not recognize a marriage if they are divorced.   But who knows, the rules may be different

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
      LoisRyan13903posted 21 months agoin reply to this

A first marriage would have to be annulled if it ended in a divorce

4. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 22 months ago

A Catholic can marry anyone they wish in a civil ceremony. My mother, who was Catholic, married my father, who was not, this way.

However, their marriage was not recognized by the church. In order to have a recognized marriage, my parents would have had to meet four criteria: (1) the two people are free to marry; (2) they freely exchange their consent; (3) in consenting to marry, they intend to marry for life, to be faithful to one another and be open to children; and (4) their consent is given in the presence of two witnesses and before an authorized Church minister.

In addition, because my father wasn't Catholic, my mother would have had to request permission from the local bishop to marry a non-Catholic. The non-Catholic spouse does not have to convert to Catholicism.

Because marriage is considered a sacrament, the Catholic church also requires the marriage to be performed in a church, or another venue that has been approved by a local bishop.

5. Daniel Gottlob profile image80
    Daniel Gottlobposted 22 months ago

Yes, Catholic's can marry non-Catholic's. You can not do a full mass though, i.e. take communion but you can get married in the church provided they meet the criterion Lisa Vollrath provided.

working