jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Does love fade?

1. Michael  Anyanwu profile image57
    Michael Anyanwuposted 21 months ago

Does love fade?

2. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 21 months ago

Interesting question. I think of colors fading when I pondered the question. Colors with my experience do fade becoming lighter shades until nearing white. In other words the color changes.

In essence one may ask does the color ever really diminish and is not there any longer? Can a color be restored or become more invigorating? Does that consider Love may have agency? So, is color a good analogy for Love in the case of this question? Perhaps a cup'pa tea and some more pondering . . .

To ponder first is to understand Love is an abstract noun. (Kinda' technical perhaps) Therefore it's meaning is esoteric and varies by individual first and then by groupings of two or more. So, with a couple for instance meaning should have some sameness and is immeasurable IMO. In other words is unconditional.

To offer a little from a personal perspective I began a Hub on Love at the first of the year. It grew to become fifteen rough Hubs. Most Hubs were seeking and exploring meanings in different disciplines. Those areas explored were:

General - Impersonal and Interpersonal
    Science - Biological (Neurological and Psychiatry)
    Science - Psychology and Emotions
    Social Psychology - 5 Perspectives with emphasis on Symbolic Interactionism and Social-Cognitive
    Cultures - Key world cultures
    Philosophy - Western and Eastern
    Religion - Key world religions
    Apologetics - Philosophy within key world religions
    Spirituality - Meaning with emphasis on God, gods, the cosmos, and etc.
    Belief - A Key to Love with emphasis on acceptance, faith, and trust

My studies focused on Love and not all the stuff. As it progressed it became mind boggling at times. However I discovered many parallels too. It was exciting, intriguing, frustrating, and enlightening too. I have set it aside and may go back to it once again. I still am digesting information learned.

With the question above I ponder if the color faded or became more invigorating as I studied seeking meaning for 'Self'. I think at times it did fade or meaning changed. Perhaps it did fade and that was why I set it aside? Or, did it simply arrive at an acceptable shade awaiting further change?

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 21 months ago

That would depend on the people. In some cases, yes, it would fade and eventually not exist anymore. That wouldn't mean that it didn't exist in the first place, it just didn't evolve. For others, love doesn't fade, it just changes shape. There can be as much love between two people who sit together enjoying a quiet afternoon in their backyard as there is between two people who are so enamoured with each other they can't keep their hands to themselves. There's a lot to be said for both stages.

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Very true! Ultimately when two people want the same thing for the relationship and feel as though they have it they tend to remain "in love". Being on the same page is the key.
      It takes two people to keep a relationship strong.
      One can end it!

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 21 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13109676_f260.jpg

Sometimes.
    People change and evolve over time. The traits one once considered to make for an "ideal mate" at age 20 may not be what they want at ages 30, 35, 40, or beyond.
    There's also the possibility that one's mate stopped being and doing all the things that caused you to fall in love with them.
    It's almost a cliché to hear someone say:
    "He/she is not the same person I fell in love with."
    When we change our circumstances change.
    In other instances some long-term married couples drift apart physically and emotionally gradually becoming platonic companions with the same last name. There is no romantic love or passion.
    It's easier to maintain a fire than it is to reignite a spark!
    We're either "growing together" or "growing apart".
    Communication is the GPS for relationships. It lets you know which one it is. Sometimes people stop wanting the same things.
    There is no amount of "work" or "communication" that can overcome being with someone who simply does not want what you want. Compatibility trumps compromise most of the time!

working