jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

You always say Hello when answering the phone. Why?

1. Mohd Sidique profile image61
    Mohd Sidiqueposted 11 months ago

You always say Hello when answering the phone. Why?

What is the reason to say hello ?

2. RTalloni profile image89
    RTalloniposted 11 months ago

It is a simple greeting to use as a culturally polite expression when one does not know what to expect from a caller.  It is a habit born out of a need to express something.  It's fun to mix it up sometimes, though.  I've heard things like, "This is heaven, which angel do you wish to speak to."  Rather silly, of course, but fun to some.  I like to sometimes simply say, "Howdy."  Most of the time the other person will be silent for a moment and then say, "Well, hello" with an odd tone.  smile  The surprised looks when I do that in person are often quite funny.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 11 months ago

I don't say "hello". I say "this is Lisa". It's a habit, from when I shared an extension with multiple others in my office.

So, there is no reason to say "hello".

4. Terrielynn1 profile image94
    Terrielynn1posted 11 months ago

I usually say hi. There are times when I know how's calling and my response is different. To me it's being polite. How do you answer the phone.?

5. Mohd Sidique profile image61
    Mohd Sidiqueposted 11 months ago

But this is not real answer. But I like it

6. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 11 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13452072_f260.jpg

It's a simple traditional greeting to acknowledge the call is received. Total silence after answering would be sort of strange.
    Having said that in this day of cell phones many people just answer stating; This is (whatever answerer's first name is).
    Sometimes just saying hello can maintain one's anonymity.
    In many instances they allow unknown callers to go to voicemail.
    If it's a known caller they greet the caller by (their name).
    Thank God for caller ID! (It was a "game changer")

working