Possessiveness

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Internetwriter62 profile image80
    Internetwriter62posted 13 years ago

How do deal when your friend is so possessive of her other friends that she won't even give another friend you both have in common your email address or contact information and that friend is possessive with everyone even you. Do you stay in the friendship? Do you get out because no one likes to feel like just a possession? Any thoughts on this?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Clearly this person you speak of has absolutely no clue what a "friend" actually means or is suppose to mean.

The control factor is a problem. This person is not set with control in their own life, but in others and that is dangerous, to the vitality and energy of your life.

It brings in too much negativity and the positiveness warranted to override it, so as to balance is a psychopaths worse nightmare.

Cut loose!

However, the other side of the coin: if you want to keep the person as a friend, because it matters that much too you, then I would seriously have a sit-down, one to one, heartfelt chat with them and let them know it is becoming such a detriment to your friendship. I get the fact that friends are suppose to accept you for who you are and what you bring to the table(add to the spice of life), however, the chat is the first step.

Just my thoughts. smile

Internetwriter62posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Cagsil, she has no clue what it means to be a friend or an adult, control is a factor. I don't want to control her, I just want to walk away.
        I have known her for over twenty years, when we both lived in California, I moved away twenty years ago to Florida and I have kept touch, but I never really knew this side of her.

Lately through phone conversation I started discovering somethings that I found disturbing. One time I called and her mother, who is 90 and lives with her, answered and was talking to me, I heard her grab the receiver from her mother while the lady was in mid-sentence, it's like her mother has no right to chat with those who call her.
        She once told me her brother left the family and never came back and part of the reason was that she drove him away with her selfishness. After knowing this side of her, I started to wonder. What that poor guy must have gone through having a sister like her.

Last Sunday when I realized that she wouldn't even give my email address to an old friend of ours, that I also knew in California, I felt her possessiveness is way out of hand. I don't care what she does anymore, I just want out.

Thanks for your advice, next time she calls I think I will tell her not to call anymore. Or to give me at least a year to reevaluate our friendship.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

doesn't quite sound like a friendship 2 me...and sounds like your buddy has control issues...me, i'm not into someone trying to control me for whatever reason; looks like there are other issues that you may or may not want to help your buddy deal with....guess it depends on the length of your friendship and whether or not the control thing is new....life's too short

I agree she does have control issues and I don't want her controlling me. I don't want to control her either, but I don't want to be controlled. We have been friends for a long time, but it seems that lately she would rather have social charity than true friendship. I want something more mature than having to baby her all the time.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

well....just like life...relationships go through cycles...maybe this is one of those...i've had a couple of very long term friendships that have had to be revived every now and then...life gets in the way etc...and we don't all have the same things happening in life - or should I say priorities..long term friends are usually together for the long haul but with life's ups and downs; normal stuff....so maybe you take a break for a bit.

I bet your long term friends know how to deal with life in grown up terms, this person just wants to be babied by everyone and quite frankly I'm sick and tired of babying her. I tried to confront her, but forget it, she can't handle some honesty.
      I do agree I do want to take a break, a long one. Perhaps a year or two see if she grows up. She calls me, I don't usually call her, for starters I'm only good for a boring Sunday afternoon, I'm not one of the people, on her list, she would treat with respect or be honest with. I've had it. Yeah, I need a break, a long one.

4. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

I call those toxic relationships, and distance myself as far from them as possible.

Very toxic. Toxic enough to be called the friendship sewer, and yes I do want to distance myself.

I would like to add, she's what they call in Toxic People a doom and gloom victim. Thanks for the advice Ivorwen.

5. virtuenote profile image60
    virtuenoteposted 13 years ago

I will not be a property of anybody else. So, I'll stay way from such a possessive person.

I agree, the only reason I put up with her phone calls is because we have been friends for a long time and I feel sorry for her, because she has the habit of driving people away. She's always complaining about other people rejecting her and the truth is other people simply don't want to baby her, and I don't want to baby her anymore either. I confronted her on this last Sunday when she called me and she just can't handle constructive criticism, namely the truth.
      She makes excuses for herself when being confronted and quite frankly I'm tired of it. If she can't grow up. Then she can find someone else to play babysitter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)