1. Faith in an unshakeable vision of the Unseen; an inner conviction that it exists.
2. Aspiration. Aspiration is the beginning and end of the journey. The child cries when hungry, and the mother comes running. Without yearning, earnestness, longing, this burning inner intensity, we cannot pray effectively.
"Prayer begins when human capacity ends."- My teacher.
3. Prayer is an invocation, an attempt to lay hold of God Itself. Do not ask for a Well when an Ocean is present. Kneel or sit in supplication and adoration.
4. Silent or interior prayer. After talking for a while, stop and listen.
5. Focus or concentration: This helps us to harness the energy in the right direction, and the mind to fall still or quiet.
6. Humility before God, offering Gratitude for the afflictions as well as the joys.
7. A big one this: Serve mankind. Serve in a spirit of inner purpose and an intention to love as coming from within. You do not need to stress on this. Simply watch your conscience and act accordingly to your fellowman. Grace will teach you this.
Effective prayer is communion with God. Accompanied by receptivity, and a vessel which is large enough to hold His Light (capacity), we will be given the necessary love to serve others and live a life of peace.
8. Another big one: Purity. Purity is the inner vessel that holds the Light. If we keep our windows open, then the sun can come in. If it's closed, then the Light becomes limited. Something is 'assimilated' in prayer, but this relies on inner purity. Are my doubts, fears, anxieties and worries gone? Do I feel hate or resentment? have I forgiven? Do I possess inner gratitude? What about my earthly attachments or ego? Am I too sensuous? Watch and pray!
9. Be occupied. Live in the Eternal Now, the Sacrament of The Present Moment. There is no Saturday or Sunday or 7 prayers or Sabbath, etc. Feel that all you have is the Here and Now. God forbid, but I could have an accident two minutes from now. The point here is that the next moment is not ours. Consider the lilies of the field ...
10. By far the most important and for some the most difficult. Live with the spirit of Surrender: "Not my Will, my Lord, but Thine be done.
Write to me if you have any questions, and I will try to serve, God's Grace. email@example.com.