jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)

The fastest growing religion...

1. pennyofheaven profile image78
    pennyofheavenposted 5 years ago

I read somewhere on the net a few weeks ago (cannot find the link) that the 'nones' are the fastest growing religion in the world (or maybe the US cannot remember). The 'nones' include atheists, believers in god but not followers of any religion, and people who believe in a higher power, Christians, new agers and lastly those who believe in none of the above.

Then I read today Muslims are the fastest growing religion.

I pondered over the many 'ist's' and 'ism's' many a times and now they are categorizing non 'ist's' and no 'ism's' into a category where they otherwise would not have fit. So I wonder why someone might find it is necessary to fit people into labels?

Is there a sense of needing to belong to or to fit in to a category that gives cause for new categories to be created?

1. pisean282311 profile image61
      pisean282311posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is there a sense of needing to belong to or to fit in to a category that gives cause for new categories to be created?

but isnt thats how human brains operate?...

pennyofheavenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No not wholly. Left side maybe.

1. pisean282311 profile image61
          pisean282311posted 5 years agoin reply to this

@penny i was talking about identity...quest to belong or get fit into categories...

Oh sorry. So it would seem.

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think society wants to find a label for everyone. And labeling us is convenient. Political parties can calculate exactly what to say, assuming you fit your label. Corporations can market more easily, assuming you fit your label. Neighbors know which way to go with the gossip, trying to pin you to your label. And we feel a tad more comfortable, thinking we know a little bit more about you, judging by your label.

Unfortunately for all of that, I think checking a box labeled none constitutes a basic desire not to be labeled. It represents independent thought on cosmic questions. We aren't a demographic that wants to be packaged and herded into a cohesive group. None, to me, on a questionnaire means 'none of your business'. If there was a none box on every line I'd be the first to check it.

Haha yep me too.

3. rwcreek profile image59
      rwcreekposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Pennyofheaven,

The question I would ask is, who creates these catergories and why? Emile R gave a good answer. Thanks. I would rather chose my own label if I have to rather than being lumped into general or unknown.

Yes, I wonder too? I think labels might distract us from finding our true nature. If we identify with labels perhaps we are less likely to look for that which we are a part of beyond the labels we use or are given

working