In say 500 years, where will humanity be in terms of progression?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Richawriter profile image80
    Richawriterposted 11 years ago

This is a topic I am forever mulling over in my curious mind; I'm just as curious to know what everybody else thinks about this?

Where will we be as a race in 500 years time?
    Will we still be here?
    Will we have achieved colonization of the moon, Mars etc?
    Will wars still be waged?

I'm interested in answers from both a religious viewpoint and a scientific, non-religious viewpoint.

By the way, don't take this too seriously, after all we are only speculating as to what 'could' happen and therefore there is no need to engage in bitter feuds about who is right and who is deluded.

Also, feel free to throw in something silly if you wish as I know that may very well happen! More's the fun! smile

What do you think may happen:

Socially
    Militarily
    Economically
    religiously
    spiritually
    geographically

Just a paragraph or two will suffice. This could become quite a good debate if people are able to put forward good arguments and opinions without resorting to sarcasm, snide remarks, gloating, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. eternals3ptember profile image61
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

As much as I'd like to speculate, any attempt that I make falls flat in my mind. I can't imagine a world half a millenium from now any more than a person in the 16th century could ours; probably even less than that person could, considering how rapidly our world is developing as populations and technological developments snowball at an ever increasing rate. It would be hard to predict the next 100 years, let alone another 400.
    To that, my only prediction is that the world will have new complexities that we can't fathom. We might download ourselves into the Matrix. We may fratanize with aliens. We might destroy the earth a few centuries out. Things in the line of radio, the Internet, cars, gene modification (or anything else that changed the world in a way we may not have seen, rapidly too).
    Hell, these words here might be found 531 years from now by a group of monks who devote their lives to sifting through the magnetic wheels people used to store info before we used crystal prisms.

Richawriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are right when you say it would be difficult to predict what will happen, I agree with that.

Nevertheless, if enough people post enough speculative material here or present enough hypotheses on the matter of our future, we may be able to take a rare glimpse into the possibilities for our future.

Yes, it is all speculative, but in a similar fashion, so were all of our new technologies at one point.

I do agree that the future holds complexities that we could not possibly fathom right now, just as a mere 100 years ago, people could not have predicted that we would be exploring space and mapping the cosmos, but we are.

I like your ending about the monks discovering this thread! smile

Thanks for your valuable input. smile

3. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 11 years ago

There are two paths we could have taken. If the right path then maybe socially we'll have a deeper understanding of each other as all part of a spiritual whole. Our consciousness will be of a greater magnitude and many of the social ills we suffer today will be a thing of the past or at least greatly reduced. Through technology we may even be able to read thoughts in others but this would be done to better a situation, never to gain secrets or take advantage of another.

Militarily: the world will no longer wage aggressive warfare but will have weapons for defensive purposes only. We may even belong to some benevolent space confederation like in Star Trek.

Economically all will contribute for the betterment of all at something they enjoy. Maybe a few hours a day at something the person has been specifically trained in. Many of these jobs may be of a technical, supervisory, or scientific bent.

Will post the possibilities on the spiritual and religious later in the thread. Awesome forum topic Richie.

Ah, Alastar. I can always rely on you my friend to offer some insightful and engaging material to ponder, although that isn't taking anything away from eternals3ptember as he too offered a great comment.

Thanks Alastar. This is something that has been at the forefront of my thoughts for a while now.

However, I'm particularly pleased that you offered an idea of what the future could be from your own perspective.

You think very much along the same lines as me in regards to how our race might turn out.

I wholeheartedly agree that should we go the right path and not the path of destruction through war, then we'll begin to live a more spiritual existence and realize that we are a whole rather than billions of individual entities. We'll perhaps begin to exist as something akin to what we saw in the movie 'Avatar'; where we cherish all life and live as a tree, nurturing and nourishing each branch and stem of our whole instead of starving the parts we deem less important, with no thought for the future.

Yes, we could read minds but unfortunately there are 'those' who would use that technology for their own selfish reasons. Until those shady characters are finally subdued once and for all, any technology we may develop that can be used to (not its original use) spy, subdue, brainwash, modify etc will always be monopolized by them to control the masses.

The question is: How do we get rid of such snake-like characters?

Militarily, I totally agree.

Economically I also think you are very close to what may eventually be our future.
      Finally we may be able to be trained in that which we are naturally good at and have a love for rather than being force fed subjects we have absolutely no interest in, better to choose what we want to do. I have a feeling there are enough people interested in the various subjects and areas for our economy to still function at optimal level. Nature is clever like that.

What about money? I envisage a world where we no longer use money and no one is able to monopolize resources, manpower, technology etc as they do today. 2% of the worlds most powerful people controlling 'apparently' 98% of the money is completely unfair and unnacceptable. Therefore the only way we could exist without this kind of greed and superiority occurring is by taking away all the means that would make it possible for any one man or group to become superior and therefore start throwing their weight around. Take away money, make all lands and resources accessible to all and that problem is gone. Just a thought though guys. What do you think?

Alastar, I look forward to hearing your views on religion and spirituality.

Until then. Peace.

4. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Given the historical account of man, by say a measure of 5600 years {sensationalistic} or 25,000 years {scientific} coupled with the present state of the planet and humanity in general, I have to say:

We will not be here in 500 years.

The technology nor the unified non-economic attitude required exists to colonize another planet. That is to say, if another planet in this solar system could be colonized. Even today, as yet another unnecessary trillion spent for a Mars "Curiosity" landing, when the first few already proved no natural life can exist there, as it does here. Therefore, a synthetic nature would need creating -the entire ecosystem of earth from microscopic Arctic plankton to the Cedars of Lebanon. Then that ecosystem tested, monitored for centuries and adjusted before even considering placing a human there. The probability may exist, but the possibility does not.

As for the spiritual, non-religious attitude, this is more likely. The human consciousness is advancing at a pace never seen before. An evolution that exceeds the technical imposition. Once humanity exceeds their consciousness, the universe is the limit -which is unlimited, increasing, expanding at impressive speed. In my own opinion: immortality.

As for the religious {sensationalistic} side, it is being replaced daily by science {equation} its counter equal. Yes, it is no wonder many, many doomsday prophets are coming out of the woodwork, because with their own eyes, they are seeing the rapid deterioration of the planet, with no measurable alternative in sight. That breeds fear and hope in their beliefs.

If humanity is to continue its existence, it is going to have to leave both sides behind. That, right now, is the challenge. Neither viewpoint has any realistic desire to give up nor in. Take into account the radiation of the two atomic explosions, hundreds of additional underground tests, reaction meltdowns, pollution by petrol, the huge swirling garbage pool in the ocean, a decibel level 120% higher than nature itself, well it does not look hopeful for the planet. To remain, nature itself is going to be forced to wipe humans out because its own natural selection -meaning itself- will not let itself be destroyed. If humans destroy nature, they destroy themselves also. And honestly, a "reset button" is not completely out of the question. Even if humanity stopped -right now- all its doings, at least 300 to 500 years would be needed to simply restore the air, allow the radiation levels to return to normal. Then time for tree growth, animal species to repopulate, viruses and such to return to normal, etc. I know it sounds bleak, but real is real. It is long overdue for humanity to get a reality check.

James

1. Silva Hayes profile image77
      Silva Hayesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think mankind will be around 500 years from now, based on our destructive tendencies and inability to agree on anything.  If we are still around, there will be technical advances that are hard to imagine.  Our ''cell phones'' will be embedded in our palms at a young age and remain with us all our lives, just routinely updated in situ.  I do expect our traffic problems to be solved by then.  Perhaps we will travel individually in pods equipped with sensors so that we cannot collide with others, or perhaps our vehicles will travel on invisible beams where we relinquish control.  We will have too much information (know everything) about everyone.  Sadly, there will be no romance as we know it.  There will be alliances instead.  As far as military and religion, I base my speculations about our future based on our past behavior, so I don't have much hope for compassion and unity there.  I think we will see huge changes geographically; some areas that now teem with humanity will crumble into the sea.  There will be nothing left in the natural world to explore so we will turn completely to artificial means to achieve the same sensations of wonder and discovery.  Wild animals will not be ''wild''  any longer.  Any that still exist will have to benefit us in some way and none will be allowed to threaten us such as the occasional mountain lion or grizzly do now.  Science will constantly create artificial means to replace the natural benefits that certain plants and animals now offer.

5. cctvsam profile image58
    cctvsamposted 11 years ago

Classes will be more stratified. Those who are rich will be able to live for hundreds of years and those who are poor will only live for 100+ years. Technology will be close to the singularity by that time.

I sincerely hope that isn't how we turn out. That looks like something from the Sci-Fi movies we see around these days, but it is a possibility when you consider that the rich are the ones in control of the planet and its resources.

I honestly don't think that living for that long would be economical because if that were the case then we would have to severely limit the population growth of the planet due to the longer life-spans.

Perhaps goverments will implement the Chinese '1 baby' rule on a universal scale?

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
        Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A temporary cessation of all births could be a possibility too. For the future world to have any chance at the true and right destiny it should have, any start-up reduction in an unsustainable population must be done firmly, but most humanely. I don't care how brilliant and knowledgeable those who say human-kind is a pest on the planet and the species should disappear are; under the laws of creation we wouldn't be here in the first place if that was the case. It's up to humanity to decide its future on Earth-- and depending on the right or wrong choices made, head for the stars or start all over again.

6. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

I think that fossil fuels will have long been consumed and we can't seem to get renewables working properly or in an economically viable manner. So I guess very few people will ever travel. For business it will be redundant as holographic video conferencing will replace that need. For recreation it wIll be the preserve of the rich.

Probably we'll have an advanced integration of brain and computing technology, and together with genetic enhancements, we may be able to almost live forever. However the planet would not be able to sustain tens of billions for a population. Perhaps governments will restrict having children to a select few or instigate an annual cull of the poor.

Militaries may become redundant as global corporations will increase in power and will effectively choose the World's governments, and war will be bad for profits. President ----- of the USA sponsored by McDonalds.

Religion I think will have long died out, but as a reaction to increasing human/technology integration maybe we will become more spiritually focused.

Short of creating Star Trek warp drives which would probably be economically unviable to get off the ground, I can't see us progressing beyond our solar system.

7. Yuki92 profile image68
    Yuki92posted 11 years ago

We'll be on the street rubbing two sticks together to keep warm for the night.

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

http://thisisthestoryof.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/the-evolution-of-man.jpg?w=600

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like button

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
        Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Clever cartoon depicting wrong choice.

9. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Interesting question, probably best left up to the philosophers and theologians.  Well, as for me, I am still amazed right here and now, how humanity as a whole is not as civilized as I would have thought, with all the violence, hate and evil ongoing.  However, as I am a Christian, I should not be surprised by this, and Bible prophecy tells us that it will just get worse in the last days.  I hope that our Lord will return soon, as the signs are here that we are in the last days.  As far as the military - I beleive it will not involve any actual men and woman going into battle, as we are already seeing Cyber warfare, which can do more damage in seconds than long-drawn out wars.  I cannot even imagine the next 500 years, as just within the past five years, there has been so much new technologies.  We are already able to do things without even leaving our homes.  I believe that actual human contact, face-to-face will just not be any longer, as it is already happening more and more due to technology.  However, I am surprised that we are not, right now, driving around in those cars like in that cartoon, the Jetson's, Ha.  I really thought that as a child, that by now, we would have those at least!!!  In His Love, Faith Reaper

10. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Interesting question indeed. I am impressed how many comments are similar to one another which means there is possible some reality to events taking place. I am currently having problems with the hub page server so I am unable to submit hub articles.

Since this is an interesting question if I were to write a hub it would go something like this:
        500 Years into the Future

One world government looms over the 4 billion people on the earth as our scientific technology helps to sustain life utilizing solar and Earth thermal energy to try and help bring mankind back from the brink of nuclear disaster. Robots will be cop, judge, jury and when necessary executioner. There is no creature on the planet who is not microchiped. $20 for a loaf of bread, $30 for a glass of milk.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)