If you had to reveal your real name would you still...........

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Post  so many anti Christian forum threads ? Seriously  , nice to hide behind the avatar isn't it ?  Isn't this just the ways of cowards?

1. calynbana profile image78
      calynbanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it has to do with the forums all that much really. It is just smarter to not to use your real name online. I have used my real name from time to time, but I have such a common name and have recently gotten married and changed my last name that it really doesn't matter. You don't want an employer to look you up and see all the things you comment on whether you are atheist, theist or agnostic. At the same time many people may be trying to build up their pen names and such.

I don't post anti Christian threads myself since I am Christian, but if I did that would not be the reason I don't use my real name.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Similar to those who post so many anti-atheist threads?

The Internet as a whole is filled with cowards who say things they would never say to a person to their face.

And, even though I don't attack Christians, you only have to go to my profile to learn my real name.

3. twosheds1 profile image62
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem letting people know my real name. Here it is, with my address:
      Scott Plumer
      7540 North Linden Lane
      Parma, Ohio 44130

Come on over!

I think the real difference is that since we're not face-to-face, we tend to be a little harsher than we otherwise would be. For my part, I try to be polite and stick to facts, rather than ad hominem attacks.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What, no phone number?  R U scared  lol

1. twosheds1 profile image62

I get charged by the minute, so I don't want unsolicited phone calls. If you're coming over, bring beer. I only have one left.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
            Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

NP, I will bring beer and puff!  smile

I have to say, it does take some serious courage to post all your personal info on a public forum.  Your mailbox is going to be filled with tons of junk.  I think that may have been the very first time I have seen anyone do this.  Good Luck!

It's filled with junk already, so what's a little more?

But I've been challenged on online forums before, where people accuse me of hiding behind 'net anonymity, and I often give them my name and number. I don't say anything online I wouldn't say in person. I try to be polite, of course. Being rude almost guarentees your message gets dismissed. It may be wishful thinking, but I like to think that if I'm polite, I might get someone to think about what I have to say.

But probably not.

2. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Heya, Scott!  Nice to meet you.  smile

Right back atcha! big_smile

1. profile image0

I'm Michele.  smile  Everyone just calls me Mo, though.

Hey - that rhymed!

You're a poet and weren't even aware of that fact!

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't attack anybody, but I do dissent with some ideas of other people.  I would act exactly the same if my name were known, but I hide it to protect myself from internet predators (of which there are many).  I agree that attackers who hide behind avatars and false names are cowards...that's why they do it, and that's why I don't respond to them anymore.

5. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You do realize that you are also hiding behind an avatar? What would you guys do if you knew who we are? Knock on our doors, pitchforks and torches in hand? That is what I get from this idea for a thread.

6. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Okay, now this is silly.  Mark Knowles is the most anti-Christian/anti-religious person on HP and he uses his real name.  My real name is right there next to my user ID and I'm not shy about anything I have to say about religion.

This is like trying to start a fight and then crying when you get hit. 

Aren't we more mature than that?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And a lot of the attacks aren't even attacks but disagreements.

1. profile image0

Yup. 

For pity's sake, if a person has such thin skin that they can't handle the stuff that goes on in this religious forum, then maybe another one would be more suitable.

If you don't agree, you don't agree. 

The other thing is that SO many of the so-called 'attacks' from anonymous users are nothing more than bait.

3. profile image0

Oh but we do get defensive don't we now ! I too believe any social page type websight promotes a freeing  of the inhibitions of the blabbering fools .  A little bit of courtesy goes a long ways !

4. profile image0

Exactly BAIT and attack , its not  questions or searching or wondering , its about devisive interaction that feeds some egotistical  satisfaction ! Your either looking  or your not , and yet most devisivness in forums is merely juvenile  !

1. profile image0

Don't take this the wrong way, but most of the posts I've run across by you are divisive and negative. Would you categorize your posts as juvenile also?

5. profile image0

No , or perhaps in some individual responses or attacks  by some people  only , This post is simply in defense of juvenile responses and attacks on Christianity!  Personaly I dont follow the biblical directions to spirituality and maybe thats why I see through the thin curtains of antis- , the first three words of a question or furom post tell me exactly what the intention of the poster is . They are usualy just in negative intent !Period !

1. profile image0

I think we see what we look for.

6. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Started writing using my real name. Only use avatars where requested and Facebook has always had my real name Rasma Raisters. No problem. If you like what I write if you like me OK If you don't go elsewhere.

7. profile image49
    dianefoxposted 11 years ago
  8. profile image49
    dianefoxposted 11 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)