Comparing Deism, Atheism and Theism

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (129 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

According to the dictionary, the term Deism was used during the intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries. Deism accepts "the existence of a creator on the basis of reason," but rejects the belief of a "supernatural deity who interacts with humankind."

Q. Is the belief of God objectionable in the light of Deism to Atheists?
    Why?

Q. Is Deism objectionable to Theists?
    Why?

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

#1. Yes, because atheists believe there are no gods of any kind, and deism says there are. Obviously objectionable.

#2. Yes, because deism says the god(s) don't intervene while theists say they do. Obviously objectionable.

That was easy.

Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay, then, can the belief in God be based on reason?  ( We really need some deists to explain deism, if there are any.)

Maybe we are all fighting Theism which most of us, in all actuality, realize includes superstition and fantasy, (in this day and age).  Wouldn't most Christians admit they are really Deists?
      and NOT Theists?

1. kess profile image58
        kessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Even thing we believe, we believe for a reason.

Since reasons differs from person to person, We argue and deny and sometime do not admit to the real reason for our beliefs... but that does not mean it is not there.

But it is foolish for someone to think his belief does not have a reason.

Yes, and with this brilliant observation I will let this thread and the previous one go. Thanks kess.
          I shall go and evolve, now.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

#1 yes.  This is an oxymoron as reason cannot be the basis for a belief in any supernatural creature of any kind, let alone a god that created all. 

#2 yes.  This concept negates the entire reason for religion in general (there is no longer a reason to modify behavior for religious reasons) and specifically organized religion and the billions of $$ it controls.  Quote objectionable.

What if Christians discovered Deism was a better alternative than Theism... wouldn't that be more agreeable to Atheists?  We also need some Christians to analyze Deism and tell us what they think. Wikipedia: "Deism is the belief  that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to determine the existence of God accompanied with the rejection of revelation and authority as a source of religious knowledge. Deism gained prominence in the 17th and 18th centuries during the age of enlightenment especially in Britain, France, Germany and the U.S. among Christians who believed in one god, but found fault with organized religion and did not believe in supernatural events, such as miracles, inerrancy of scriptures...."
      - just wondering.

1. Ericdierker profile image48
        Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just to clarify I believe one can be a theist and a deist.
        I could just be my little naturalist self and conclude in God. That could stand alone for me. Easy.
        But I am also a Theist. I know Jesus Christ apart from nature and yet as a part of nature.
        These are more intertwined than seperated by a line drawn somehow. And the belong in the belief category not the scientifice category.

I agree, Eric. I wonder what atheists think of Buddhism.  But, I dare not go on in Forums after what gm posted in the other discussion I posted.  (sheesh!)

(Dear Eric:
               What do you think of Buddhism? (I do not care what any one else thinks of Buddhism, and the ability of one to be enlightened from within.) I shall not respond here, as I have officially signed out of the religious forums. Feel free to email me your answer.)

Kathryn, I will respond here in the context of this forum but shall also email you. Buddhism is a wonderful culture. I married a Buddhist. She and our son are now baptized Christian. I have been in many temples and had wonderful discourse with outstanding monks. Their basic tenants of loving all creatures and doing no harm and the Golden Rule are so simpatico with Christian that it is amazing. Christians differ with them on matters of afterlife but very little on matters of this life. So I have converted a few to Christianity. But to me the bottom line is a Buddhist is my neighbor and so I am commanded to love him. And to love him well I must understand him. Buddhists are definitely combo Deists and Theists and in a real sense many are also atheists.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

*shakes head in disbelief*

As I read that quote it says to me:  "Looking around at nature and recognizing our ignorance of how it happened is sufficient reason to construct a make believe god and believe it is real.  Particularly if one does not require factual evidence."

Of course, if Deism doesn't recognize that god cares or reacts with nature, why bother?  It becomes an intellectual exercise of no value - even if it's correct we can't use that "knowledge" to do anything.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why exchange one fantasy for another, what's wrong with reality?

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

Atheists and theists couldn't coexist harmoniously with deists anymore than they can with agnostics. Or pretty much anyone that doesn't agree with their conclusions. I think that is one of the results of coming to a firm conclusion on the matter. My take on deism is simply that reality is too complex to rule a creator out, yet reality shows no signs of an active role by a deity.  It's the flip side of agnosticism. Just as atheists and theists are tied together by the way their minds work.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you not an atheist any more in that case?

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You lost me with that one.

Are. You. No. Longer. An. Atheist.?

1. profile image0

Have. I. Ever. Claimed. To. Be. An. Atheist?

I'm pretty sure I'm agnostic. Unless you know something about me I don't know. Which I doubt.

Um - go look those words up in a dictionary. You either believe in a god or you don't. Agnostic is not some sort of in between place.

Theism - belief in a deity (or more).
              Gnosticism - knowledge.

So - have you stopped being an atheist?

1. profile image0

You can't make claims as to what I am. That's what I do. If you are uncomfortable with the term agnostic I can't help you. smile

Sorry you don't like the meanings of words. I don't make them up. Do you simply not understand the question? You either believe in a god or you don't. What you think you know has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Do you believe in a god? It is a "yes" or "no" question. Does that make you uncomfortable? Because I thought you did not believe in any gods. Which makes you an atheist. Sorry about that - blame the theists. wink

1. profile image0

LOL. Thanks for proving part of the point in my initial post. Now, all I need is a theist to lambast me for not claiming to be a theist and it'll be a slam dunk.

But, seriously. If it makes you comfortable to think I'm an atheist, think it. I don't really care what you call me. smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

While that is true that reality shows no signs of deities, it would make more sense that simplicity, not complexity might not rule out a creator. Complexity is what actually makes nature more plausible to have come about on it's own rather than having been created by a deity.

3. Ericdierker profile image48

If empirical reality were the basis for theism and deism then they would not be.

5. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

I have a news flash: At the end of the day NONE of us knows anything with complete certainty.

That said, it would be nice if somehow some intelligent and informed conversation could happen on Hubpages without the relentless bullying; without the relentless name-calling; without the relentless demeaning of any idea with which one does not agree; without the relentless and utterly misguided sense that one's ideas and one's definitions are right and that ANY and ALL variations from these idea and definitions are wrong.

It is unfortunate that someone asks a rhetorical question that should generate an equally rhetorical responses and the most common response is, essentially: "You're wrong. I'm right. I know everything. If you don't agree with me you're stupid. You don't understand anything. You can't read. You can't think."

Religious beliefs do tend to bring that out, don't they? sad

1. profile image0
        mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No actually, I do not think that it is religion that does this to people.

I think it is an essential mean-spirited arrogance coupled with a desire to humiliate and hurt others as part of a larger effort to assert one's self.

In other words, this is the stuff of the psyche and the mechanisms of the classic bully.

2. Cgenaea profile image60
      Cgenaeaposted 10 years ago

It seems to me from the description of Deism, that it was invented to answer the "program" of faith within;  without attributing it to the "programmer." I agree with a previous post stating belief in God or no are the only options. Faith is also built in as we have no idea about anything without it. Babies have no capacity for ideas about gravity.  But they fall often. They have faith that if they crawl to the edge of the bed they fall.  Some of us cannot explain the fullness of why we believe because all answers cannot be proven one way or another.  Faith is needed. For ALL historical accounts.

1. wilderness profile image95

No, babies don't really have faith they will fall.

What they DO have is past experience; anything (including them) that is unsupported has always fallen in their limited history.  This brings fear that it will happen again; don't go near the edge as experience has taught I will fall.

Not the same as believing in God at all as no person has ever had experience outside of their own imagination; imagination that is far different than a thump on the head as baby hits the ground.

1. Cgenaea profile image60
          Cgenaeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are right. Maybe that was a bad example.  But imagination did not speak words that I heard on the inside of me as a child and then had repeated back to me from various sources throughout the course of my life. Would atheists call it proof of God because I consider that my proof?  I believe most likely it would be construed as coincidence but that is the difference between spiritual and non...

No, atheists are unlikely to call voices from inside your body proof of God.  And neither should you - as there is no physical mechanism inside you to produce the sounds we call language it is sure to have come from inside your mind as opposed to inside the physical body.  Imagination, in other words.

But repeated back to me from various people throughout the course of my life?

I'm visualizing you as a impressionable girl of 4 or 5, hearing "voices" coming from behind your belly button.  A dream perhaps, or a day dream.  A particular imaginative play period, no different at the root that an "imaginary friend" many children have.  A girl that was scared and fascinated all at once, that was impressed enough to never forget those voices.

Then as an teen or adult, years and years later.  Those memories have faded and twisted although the fascination remains.  Very few people remember things that happened years prior accurately, and certainly not when filtered through the scared, emotion filled brain of a young child.  Any words even remotely similar will be instantly latched onto as an identical reproduction of the imagined experience from years ago.

The difference between spiritual and non... wink

3. Cgenaea profile image60

A lady told me two years ago that it was almost time (for that word to come into fruition) I did not know her personally.  She just said it as I was working.
      I believe because I must. God is 100%. And I believe the bible to be ssent as written instruction for his own.

Cgenaea. You have been encouraging to me. I am glad you are persistent. I originally thought you just wanted to fight. But I see now that you are truly sticking up for God and the reality of God. I agree that if you feel God speaking, or sending pure love, then it is real and it is real. I often hear his advice and council and feel his love.  We do have to fight against the delusion which comes from doubt. Here in the public forum arena it is rather brutal, however.

Kathryn,  we can expect nothing less than brutality. Remember how these "very same " people beat my Lord to death for telling them the truth?
          Just want to argue?  Nope not me. Peace is my motto smile but some things require a firm stance.

The shrinks are all done testing and no I am not crazy in regards to my faith and belief in God. (in otherways still crazy). God is real and good and loves us much. How do I know. Well, because He tells me so. That is just a truth. I cannot say why He does not talk to atheists, but when He does it doesn't not matter because they are not atheists anymore. Some would say that an atheist is just somebody God has not spoken to yet.
            I believe and while I try not to be proud of that, neither am I ever ashamed.
            Well done here Cgenaea.

Lol... I'm crazy too Eric smile But not in this light. This one thing I do know... I'm glad you know too.

No Eric, that is not a truth, that is an obvious fabrication. Gods do not talk to you, those are just voices in your head if you are indeed hearing voices talking to you. I don't accept your claim that the shrinks are all done, if that is the case.

Notice how the believer resorts to invoking the myth in order to fight others as if they have been given full justification for causing conflict. They could care less about others and their actions towards them.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

...we are all crazy in different ways. Why not be crazy in trusting God, feeling God, being devoted the Reality that He is? Thanks Cgenaea and Ericdierker. Arrogance is not a danger when love and appreciation overflow as one, as we are led the way we are to go (willingly, through our own inspiration) by Jesus and the principles of Christ. and I agree, Eric...eventually God will speak to an atheist!  It is just a matter of time.
           But, we have work to do...on ourselves: "The harvest is abundant, but the laborers are few." I think that phrase of Jesus' refers to the inner work that is needed in order to reach the kingdom of heaven which is found within.
      All of this... The Way I See It.

In reality,  God speaks to every man. Most do not listen. Or they attribute the voice to mental incapacity. Right? The voice of God has spoken through you. The voice of God has spoken through me. The voice of God spoke through Jesus.  All who have an ear (by faith) will listen. Problem is that faith is placed in the self's ability to reason.  It is not realistically reasoned that reason can only go so far.

I concur!

Given that God does not speak with sound waves, how can I determine what He tells me?  I have never heard, felt, smelled or seen anything I can positively attribute to God, let alone speech of some kind.

If He is speaking to me, He needs to make that "speech" far more obvious as I can't "hear" him.

Dear wilderness.
            Hey, I was so happy to come across that forum thread I posted of yours from 12 months ago!  (How do you know that God did not lead me right to it?)
            Random questions:  Do thoughts and feelings come in sound waves? Does awareness? And what increases one's awareness? Yes, the brain is involved, but the mind is different form the brain. What is operating the mind?

...actually calmness is the best state of mind to perceive God.
            less wave lengths the better.

I don't know that He did not lead you.  If you think He did, what indications are you using?

Thoughts and feelings do not come in sound waves.  Is that how God speaks - to manipulate my thoughts or make me have feelings I would not otherwise have?  If so, how do I tell when He sticks the thought or feeling in there and when I do it unaided?  What is the difference?

Okay, these are very interesting questions. Let's see what I can come up with... God might have to help me out here. Hmmm... channeling God... hmmmm...  Notice my receptive mode?  Hmmmmmm  God says,
                "You have your will/life to guide at all times."  I felt that answer very strongly. My understanding is, when one needs assistance from God, He is more than happy to help. This is strong... not my thoughts:  "My respect of your freedom to guide your own life and will is 100%."  And I keep getting this..."I Love You!" (addressing all of us / humanity as a whole.)

In locating your forum post I came across it by scrolling through while looking for one of my old posts about PPACA, (to post my comment). When I found yours I was amazed. I have actually gotten many (timely) answers through the internet regarding questions or concerns I was mulling over. Maybe it is luck of the draw... But, it always SEEMS so magical when it happens

My indication of it coming from God is when I could not have come up with the answer (to a question posed to God) by myself. It really seems to be thoughts that I receive. Receiving a thought that is not your own is similar to feeling love coming from someone who loves you.
                TWISI

I just said that... Answers come through faith. Faith in him pleases each the father and "son". (You; me; Jesus) he is not absent from his own.

You say these things, that you "feel" God, that it "feels" strongly, but have ignored the question of how to tell it is from God and not yourself.  Do you pick which thoughts are God's, perhaps based on them being good?  Or being "right", just like your own moral conscience guides you? 

How do you tell when it is God and when it is you?  Things may very well SEEM magical, but does that mean they are?  Or are they just coincidence or just your own thoughts/feelings?  How can you tell?

For me, the voice of God agrees with what is written.  He also sends other confirmations. As I told you. My inner word with other people repeating that same word at least 5 times throughout my life. The last woman who did not know me at all told me that it was almost time... I am not crazy.  I do not brag about me. I am not important. But as you are aware;  I aint no dummy. I believe what I say because of my faith. It is confirmed on a regular basis.
                Also, I have been in situations that had me ponder a "word" and soon, I hear my answer from random sources.  EVEN ON TV! sorry... I am really excited about my faith.  Do you have faith in something?  Sure you do.

No faith in the sense you use the word.  I make conscious effort NOT to believe without evidence and/or confirmation, whereas you make conscious effort to believe (God speaks, hear the word, "confirmations" that are merely coincidence, etc.) because belief in such things as those reaffirms faith.

Same question as to Kat; how do you determine what comes from God and what comes from either you or the world around you?  What is the determining factor - how do you differentiate the two?

I must admit that it is not easy. Since patience is so important,  sometimes you must wait. A relationship with him by faith sends confirmation. Biblically,  " Lean not unto your own understanding..." he directs. Some waited for him for many years. But faith makes one comfortable. 
                    Tell me what you believe about the beginning, and I will tell you where your faith lies.

The beginning of the universe, you mean?

Current thought is that a singularity (whatever that is) blew up, producing all the mass, energy and natural laws we see today.  It might even be true; certainly evidence points to that and certainly there is some truth to it.

Not being a cosmologist, and the question not being of particular importance to me, I am content to accept the word of those that have studied the problem in depth, using the scientific method to draw conclusions.  That doesn't mean it's true, it doesn't mean I "believe" it to be true; it simply means it's the best answer I or anyone else has at this point.  Time will change it as we can all be virtually certain the human race does not have the full truth of the matter.

I should also point out that you still have not said how you tell the difference between God speaking and your own internal "voice" or the "voice" of the world around you.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

- answers from random sources...I have experienced that too... but not from TV...ever.  lol

It tickles me pink (and for me... well you know... lol) TV! I'm serious. It is ALWAYS so plain. And seemingly verbatim.

I concur (2 smile )

Well he definitely hears you. The ability to hear the father comes from faith. It is similar to WHATEVER else you believe. When you read books, you hear voices. Sometimes it's Aristotle, or Martin Luther King, or Dr. Phil's. Those voices are often manufactured (as in Ari... cuz we don't know his voice; but we make one up) my point is, we listen to that voice,  or we reject. 
            For me, the bible has been the voice of God. NO! You cannot really date the bible. NO! You cannot tell how old the earth is. And NO! You cannot tell where the garden of eden/the tomb of Elisha or Moses is. UNLESS you have faith in the report.  But in those cases, you may only "think" you know. God has secrets known to NO man. Faith is key. So, whatever you believe about the world and its beginning is believed based SOLELY upon faith.  (Oops I did "it" again) smile

"Well he definitely hears you" - how do you know that?  Because you feel it is so?  Because you want it to be so?  How do you know He hears you?

"as in Ari... cuz we don't know his voice; but we make one up"  That's kind of the point, isn't it?  You wish to hear the father so you make up the voice.  You determine the words, how they are delivered and what they mean, then attribute them to God.  You "make one up", just as you say.

If the bible has been the voice of God, then he does not speak to you, except in the same words over and over - a broken record.  I doubt that, and I doubt you mean that.  You said it here, finally - faith is key.  With faith anything you want can be true, without faith it takes hard, solid evidence and proof - evidence and proof that neither you, the atheist or anyone else can every provide. 

So catch-22.  God speaks ONLY to those with faith (in spite of your claim to the contrary) but without hearing Him, faith is unlikely to come.  You fail to understand (or accept) this, but it is very true.  God does not speak to every man (He does not speak to me); he speaks ONLY to those that will make up a voice and believe it to be God.  Faith.

but without hearing Him, faith is unlikely to come. 
                Not really.  God speaks to us all... only the faithful hear. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It is something that you can wrestle with. Like Jacob. wink  Hearing God depends upon faith. He speaks all the time.

"Hearing God depends upon faith"  - my point exactly.  Now add that without hearing him in person, faith is very unlikely to ever come.  One does not simply decide one day to believe, to have faith that an undetectable, supernatural creature from another universe exists and is talking to us.  We could all say the words, but actual faith that He is there is quite another matter.  This is a point that the faithful have difficulty with, in my experience.  It is simply beyond belief that anyone can't believe - even understanding they could never voluntarily END their own belief they still don't quite get it.

So the faithless are (nearly) doomed to remain faithless (and according to some burn for eternity) because they have never heard His word.  God chooses not to speak in any manner they can hear.

Seems a trifle unfair; either be born with faith, have it pounded into young, impressionable brains or do without.  He will not speak to most of us, at least not in any manner we can detect or "hear".

This post is very sad for me to read.  How is it I can detect, but others cannot. Some might say I merely imagine. But I know it is not my imagination. But, then I am in the habit of sensing, of wanting answers, of being open to answers, to thoughts coming from ... Universal Spirit... who prompts my thoughts. God will "prompt" in any language.. how does He do that? How indeed?
                    BTW God is just not an undetectable supernatural creature from another universe! If I do not believe that, am I still an atheist?

Ok Kathryn,  I think it is faith again. One must believe first. You cannot say, "God, I know you're not there; but show me your ways. " it goes more like, "God, please show yourself to me."  Faith that he is. First! Then faith to ask.
                      If you see it another way, let me know.

The question is not how He implants His messages, or even how you detect them.  The question is how do you determine that a specific message is from God rather than your own mind or the world around you.

It doesn't matter how He gives a message, it doesn't matter whether you hear, see, smell it or just "feel" it with emotions.  What matters is how you know it is from God.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

Because, you are not detecting, no one can "detect" things through intuition.

Actually, it's called 'delusion'.

You are in the habit of wanting to believe in things, it's called 'confirmation bias'.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

My indication of it not coming from me or the world around me (through the five senses) is that after I have posed a question to God, I get an answer that I could not have come up with myself. It comes to me. It actually takes discernment and honesty to determine if its coming from God or myself. Some say if the answer comes from the left side, (in your mind,) it is Yourself. From the right side, from God. 
           For instance: I didn't want to get an MRI. I was afraid of the effects it might have on my brain. I was advised to get it to see my neck vertebrae after a fall. (It would still shoot magnetic resonance vibes all around my brain...) So, I had to confer with God. The left side of me said NO, don't get near an MRI. The right side answer was, "You need to utilize technology for your own peace of mind."
      So, what I discovered from the MRI was indeed valuable even though the experience was hard on me. (I became panicky. Strangely enough, as I became panicky, a song formed in my mind and helped me maintain my adrenaline level. The song was a song from church and seemed to lead me through that horrible experience.)
           Receiving a thought is like receiving love. It is felt. It is recognized. It is perceived within. it is subtle. It is detectable by the awareness of the consciousness. It is as subtle and yet as powerful as a the whiskers on a coyote, the antennae of a lobster, the nerve endings of the fingers of a chimp or human, the sound receptors of an African Grey Parrot, the ears of cats and dogs.  But, one needs to tune in to the inner receptor.
      TWISI

That receptor is faith. Faith receives. I hope he answers my question about what he believes/ has received.

I think the receptor was built within us by nature. It exists between the eyebrows. My understanding is that It is actually a sensor within the human brain. It is really is another sense receptor: the sense of intuition. Faith comes from knowing. Knowing comes from experiencing or sensing the truth. Not arguing.   smile
          TWISI

You and I have a certain rapport.  Peace... smile I am NOT sensitive.
            I can understand where you are coming from. The receptor is brain built-in. However,  the true receiver is faith. TWISI. without faith,  the mind/spirit rejects all input.  Something else controls the brain... the will...
            That is spiritual in nature and many do not perceive it. They think the brain is responsible. Now you may be speaking in terms of some other awareness; but for me, it is called faith. Faith that a child has in his parents.  Please, go on if I am in err. The spirit agrees with spirit. And I believe we may come to a mutual understanding. We are spiritual.
            Let's show 'em how it's done. wink
            Beginners don't "know" how may they come by faith in God?

- yes, I see what you mean ... it is an openness, an acceptance... right? It is in being willing to receive the answer from the Source. (Some receive answers from that other source. Their willingness goes in that direction,unfortunately...)
                   Our willingness is in alignment with God and everything that He is: love, wisdom, calmness and peace.
              What gets me about all these religious discussions is that so many want to see the bad side of God. Why focus on the bad when the good outweighs? The bad or negative, like cruelty to slaves being tolerated, etc. was what was happening at the time. Even in these instances, God seemed to play it by ear, in cooperating with most of man's free will. He puts his foot down in certain instances and not in others.
              Were you ever a non-believer? What gives you such faith?

Don't hurt me! I feel tears... thanks smile

okay.

Lol!!!!!!!!
                    Don't hurt me, is probably an ethnic sarcasm that you probably would not "get" off hand anyway. Sorry for the  worry. (Got a little TOO familiar) lol
                    Tears because it felt soooo good to agree so wholeheartedly. I like your spirit.  It so agrees.

The "bad side of God" makes itself known to us in Scriptures. He behaves exactly like a psychotic despot, which is why He is rejected.

No, you are not special and have no magical powers that others lack. You are the same as everyone else. except you've been indoctrinated heavily into a religion.

Sorry, but no such receptors exist in the brain, that is just pure nonsense.

Correction ATM. Not in your brain. Science does not know what is in my brain. They still have not figured how to read thoughts. And yes, in that they guide us through all life, even yours, thought is real just not touchable like you like.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

But, you are completely scientifically illiterate and have no clue what science says about the brain. You are just making up nonsense to defend your misinformed opinions.

God bless you ATM and all of your good friends and family. Sending much love and wishing happiness for you and yours. You are in my prayers and thoughts. May the veil of anger be lifted and replaced with one of love and compassion. May your walk be less troubled and may you become a blessing to all who walk near to you.
                  May you come to love yourself so that you may experience the joy of loving others --- all this I pray for you.

We touch and agree.

I don't want your feigned love and your silly prayers. That only serves to insult.

Compassion is something you have been depleted of in your life as can be seen by your posts here. People with compassion do not evangelize.

I don't offer blessings nor would I want them, that is also insulting. You are the one who creates trouble with evangelism, so your words are empty and meaningless to others whom you patronized and condescend with your phony platitudes.

I don't need to come to love myself, you need to stop evangelizing and have some respect for others and their wants and needs as opposed to what you believe they need.

Your prayers are nothing but insults and only serve to show how meaningless your words.

That is very good of you ATM to express your angers and frustrations. I think it is a beginning of health. It is good you have a safe forum here to vent and attack others and still feel OK.
                      Just as any of us your views and feelings are welcomed by me. I learn much from you and your views. I very much appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me. Thanks.
                      And it is not about you that I pray it is about your soul.

6. Cgenaea profile image60

To your post edit Kathryn:
      My faith is from "indoctrination" as ATM taught me not so long ago. Lol
      I was born to two generations of in-house "holy-rollers" lol
      My love for the words of God were cultivated on the front pew. smile however,  as I studied what I believe to be God's word (the bible); I found many contridictions and half-truths that had been "preached" from the pulpit. It was disheartening, hut I found a second wind. I began to study; with spirit to guide me. I found pleasure.  I found peace.  The killings in the OT were hard. But I came to understand. I have been sold.  Not from childhood; but since I came to myself and sought truth. It is love, light, peace.

Your connection to your inner self makes all the difference.

7. Cgenaea profile image60

I hope you read the previous post. You misunderstood. My fault.  We are kin.

- it is nice to have an ally.  smile

Glad you stayed. I go a little worried.  I have a great deal of respect for your "light". Thanks.  You "labored" with me all day. wink
          Have a wonderfully peaceful night.

8. Ericdierker profile image48
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Kathryn you did a great job on this forum. Well done and a great opener for better understanding.

I think it is good that you couched your proposition/question in the tone of "what is objectionable".  That seems to further discussion.
      I have been observing what some call bullying in the religiosity forums and find a very good consistency. We look for the reasons for seemingly personal attacks looking more often for solutions than what we can learn from them. And I have found very good news. People here take it personal!! Just think about that. That is marvelous. It is awesome on two fronts. The first is clear -- it is important to people, they really care. And that is cool.
      The second is more intangible but should bring us good cheer. The main reason that I see about the personal is that people here are speaking of their own personal beliefs and thoughts and conclusions and way of life. Which means they are not spewing forth dogma and rules and ways of thought crammed into them from a pulpit of a church or a lectern from a science lecture. These are personal views that we see here. Personal spiritual journeys reflected upon and conclusions built from empirical inquiry and personal conclusions. And for the most part these are guided by principles not wholly universal but good enough to be guideposts and worthy restrictions on how we go about our growth.
      So what you have produced here is a comparison, a true comparison. Not of lengthy treatises of the three notions but of heartfelt personal analysis of what they mean to "us". That "to us" or "to me" makes us legitimate in sincerity and thought. It makes us more than theory and more than blind faith. While it creates a true congregation of those sharing their inside thoughts it does not create a herd mentality.
      I am afraid that the "isms" and "ians" and "itys' are suffixes that find no rest here. They are merely faint notions as if shrouded by fog. They are at best skeletons that we personally put flesh on with no great consensus or following by any of the ones here that think.
      There is no tidy bow to tie around a conclusion. That is good. For I hope all are on a journey with no end in sight. Though we do see some that have finished their inquiry and are now standing and espousing from their own prison of thought. And also true are those few who come around spewing dogma and preordained thought, a prison also.
      As for us with faith in Christ, it is not faith in a church. It is not cluttered with restriction. It is just a faith in Christ. Unadulterated by rules or dogma. As for those with truly no belief it is pure and based on inquiry and satisfaction to a personal degree. Those in between are perhaps smarter than those who are on a black and white slate.

Dear Eric,
        Thank you. There is, " I hope I will have a good life,"  or " I wish I will have a good life," and there is "I WILL have a good life." It is up to us. We must focus inward. Thats where heaven is, no matter what anyone else says... and we know that.

Kathryn,
          Many Christians would have a knee jerk reaction to this and so NO! A good life is found in God. But if they reflect long and hard and pray on your statement they will see it's truth. Happiness is an inside job. While we are in this world we are not to be of this world. So where do we go to be not of? Understanding and love are within us. Not out there someplace. God is not a building or a job or a car. God is inside of us for He is omnipresent. If we look for good, we can raise our hands and eyes or we can bow and kneel down, but we need not for He is in us and all we need to do is look for that love. Not our there but in here.

What you have confirmed here is what exactly what Jesus taught.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)