Reality...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

Some say that reality is based on evidence…

BUT IS IT?

It seems more accurate to say that reality is, essentially, based on what is unseen!

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have to assume reality is something I can explain (or potentially explain with enough evidence) if I want to retain my sanity:)

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not a bad answer if you are willing to accept that our knowledge is tiny and always will be.  That there will be a great many things through our lives that we cannot explain, but that they still constitute reality.

1. Cgenaea profile image60
          Cgenaeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Uh...yeah!!!
          I knew you were listening. wink

2. janesix profile image59

I'm hoping I at least get a few things figured out in my lifetime. You never know, I could be wrong about reincarnation or an afterlife, so this may be my only chance:)

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It appears that you may be correct; something like 95% of the universe is now thought to consist of "dark matter" and "dark energy"; two unseen things to date. And at that percentage, probably the "basis", depending on what you mean by the word.

Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...and yet dark matter/energy are measurable.

3. Cgenaea profile image60
      Cgenaeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes! The unseen is what drives each of us. Not many people will agree. The mindccannot be seen with the most serious of equipment.

The essence of reality needs very a subtle detecting mechanism…our own intuition.

1. Dr Lamb profile image55
          Dr Lambposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And my intuition is telling me that if something can't been seen or detected in some way it's the product of imagination. Find me something other than your creator that you think is there but can't be detected in some manner.

4. Raynecke profile image58
      Rayneckeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Reality is different for every person. I believe each persons reality is based on circumstance, attitude, personality, and environment

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"Plato's Socrates held that the world of Forms is transcendent to our own world (the world of substances) and also is the essential basis of reality."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Forms

I think along those lines too.

I don't think anything will exist in the material world unless it follows a specific form, that is undetected here. When conditions are right, they will come into being, through physical processes like evolution.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"Einstein would write that two “wonders” deeply affected his early years. The first was his encounter with a compass at age five. He was mystified that invisible forces could deflect the needle. This would lead to a lifelong fascination with invisible forces. The second wonder came at age 12 when he discovered a book of geometry, which he devoured, calling it his 'sacred little geometry book.'"
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top … t-Einstein

I am sure that when we find it, it will be based on geometry, specific numbers, ratios, cyclic patterns.

You mean, when we find Reality, it will be based on geometry, specific numbers, ratios, cyclic patterns. Thats what Plato thought, too. He thought all forms of matter: earth, air, fire, water (later, aristotle added ether,) were based on geometric configurations.

Yes, that's what I mean:)

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for asking!

I feel that Reality is beyond Evidence.
            It is so huge...
            So very vast…
            And we are part of it.
            And we,
            In our smallness,
            Are as vast
            As the infinite.

(...feeling poetic about it right now.)

The microcosm and the macrocosm

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"Use of Platonic solids
    The creator gave fire, air, earth, and water forms that make
    them as perfect as possible.
    The regular polyhedra are the best shapes, so he gave the elements those shapes. See diagrams.
    Tetrahedron: fire Octahedron: air Cube: earth Icosahedron: water"
    http://patrick.maher1.net/317/lectures/plato3.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY74AFQl2qQ

This might be interesting to you.

Very interesting!
        Four hundred and thirty two to u 2!  smile
        (-maybe John Lennon knew what he was talking about when he recorded, "Number 9, number 9, number 9…"

3x3x3=27

-what tone is the sound of Aum?  Is it A?
            I believe Aum is the sound of love.
            (Aum and love pull us inward toward the source of our beings.)

"Chanting Aum allows us to recognize our experience as a reflection of how the whole universe moves–the setting sun, the rising moon, the ebb and flow of the tides, the beating of our hearts. As we chant Aum, it takes us for a ride on this universal movement, through our breath, our awareness, and our physical energy, and we begin to sense a bigger connection that is both uplifting and soothing." Sacred Funk

I don't know enough about music yet, so I'm not sure.

I've heard it though:)

Understand music in terms of the chromatic scale and refer to Pythagorus.  If you get a keyboard you can compose stuff very easily in the key of A or C.  Play around with thirds, fifths and eighths in the chromatic scale. Transfer your tunes to the guitar. It is very easy and very fun. The melody is revealed through the lyrics. The rhythm is revealed in the supporting base notes or chords. All children should learn to read music when they are learning to read words.
                why not?
                Music is reality.

I know it, but I've never been musically inclined. I've known for a while I need to understand music if I want to move forward in understanding things. I've been reading about it, but I don't own an instrument. I think a piano or keyboard would be best for me to learn, because I can at least get an idea visually.

Yes.
                    Also, I believe the musical notes relate to colors: (Which is why this is called the chromatic scale. (Use the half steps, in other words.)
                    Key of C:
                    C = red, C# = red-orange, D = orange, D# = yellow-orange, E = yellow, F = yellow-green, F# = green, G = green-blue, G# = blue, A = blue-violet, A# = violet, B = violet-red and C = red…

Note:
                    Scorpio, (red,) Libra, Virgo, (orange,) = FALL.
                    Leo, Cancer, (yellow,) Gemini, = SUMMER.
                    Taurus, (green,) Aries, Pisces, (blue,) = SPRING.
                    Aquarius, Capricorn, (violet,) Sagittarius, (magenta,) = WINTER.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

By the Way, janesix…you inspired this Forum post.
                So, thanks for your input.
                - and for your previous Forum posts regarding this topic.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"The Aum symbol design can be seen as a symbolic representation of the various psychological compartments of the psyche; an inner dimensional map of the various compartments of human consciousness and the relationship each has to the divine within.

The long lower curve represents the dreaming state.

The upper curve stands for the waking state.

The curve which emanates from the center represents deep sleep, beyond dreams.

The crescent stands for the veil of material illusion.

The dot is the transcendental self."
    http://www.sacredfunk.com/the_breathing … hat_om.htm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)