Atheism Can Never Rule Out Possibility Of GOD

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. sibtain bukhari profile image60
    sibtain bukhariposted 9 years ago

'' Lack of knowledge can never rule out possibility of GOD''                                                                                             ''Atheism is lack of knowledge''                                                                                                                                         ''Therefore,Atheism can never rule out possibility of GOD''

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Atheism
      "disbelief in the existence of God or gods."

First you need to get the definition correct before you can attempt a logical statement.

Could you "rule out" Zeus? Can you prove he doesn't exist? If however one claims Zeus to be part of reality then one has to supple the evidence.

2. cjhunsinger profile image61
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, this, whatever this is, is a weak attempt at humor, a ruse or an attempt to bait, to dangle absurdity in an attempt to garner some form of attention. Certainly, there is no rational thought behind such statements. One might say a complete disregard of human intelligence, an abandonment of reason and logic. Perhaps, simply one who suffers an acute form of masochistic endowment. But, perhaps, it is  that a god speaks through the word of Man. It has been done before and even today, as so many here speak so convincingly to the attributes of one god or another.
      Other than this worthy reproach there is nothing left to say. But, to who ever wrote this, I wish you peace and good will.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You must be trolling, right?  Because that is pure tautology with a dash of strawman.

4. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

From all groups tested Atheist have the highest religious knowledge of any group. Making your statement false.

As far as Atheist proving God dose not exist, they can not, in turn making them agnostic. Being agnostic,  like it or not, there will always be the doubt factor of God. This question that will never go away like gays, pot and sex until the end of time and it's so tiresome. Maybe this is our hell on earth with Christians, we must all pay for until they shrink through nonsense and the rest grow in enlightenment.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 9 years ago

Life is a lack of knowledge, cosmically speaking. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something.

1. cjhunsinger profile image61

Emile

Ignorance is a refusal to know what is knowable and there is so much that is knowable.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think ignorance is also thinking you know what you don't. We know a lot, but we are stuck on a very tiny planet in a very large universe. We speculate a lot at the moment.

We are born, live and will die on an insignificant speck of rock hurtling through space at over 2 million miles an hour and we are coming from nowhere and going to no where. We know that. I would think that those who bemoan what is not known fail to understand and appreciate what we do know, which is much more than yesterday and less then tomorrow. We are an evolving reasoning life form. It is we who ask the question and then we answer ourselves and then more questions, more answers. What is not known will be learned, as that is the nature of Man.

1. profile image0

We are spinning around our sun, we are spinning around our own galaxy, we don't know how fast our galaxy or universe is moving and we don't even know if they are moving.

Yes we do. I did not mention the universe, but it appears to be expanding. Some research will reveal such great unknowable's. Good luck.

2. profile image0

I agree with all of that, except for the comment about those who bemoan that we don't know. That's not bemoaning. That's honesty. To think one knows is to stop learning.

Perhaps, it is a matter of perspective. I found your context much like comparing knowledge to a used care salesman trying to hustle a crunker. I think, without going back, you said something about somebody trying to sell you something. I place knowledge and the quest for knowledge on a higher level.
              I have been on hub pages, on and off, for some years, mostly off. I have learned some things about human nature that I did not know and some things about myself, my waning patience and tolerance of others. Something I probably should work on, but I am to old and no longer have the patience.
              A couple of things that I have learned; people demand tolerance, but do not give it. people promote a bias without fact and call it a truth. Theists, not all, but too many are very quick to demean and degrade and then offer to pray for you. I think insults should have class. In many cases, I think, many here prove the assertion that our educational system has failed. Now you see that could be construed as a insult, but then maybe not.
              I used to be involved with McDonalds and had the occasion to meet and do some business with Ray Kroc in the early 70's, who loved one liners, "If your rip you rot' and "when your green you grow." You just gotta love it. Silly stuff, but oh so very true, so I do think that you and I have a common ground. It's the context that seems to get in the way.
              I always enjoy the back and forth
              Best
              Chuck Hunsinger

1. profile image0

Those who possess true knowledge on a subject are not used car salesman. Unfortunately, knowledge concerning a religion, or the ultimate truths of reality, does not equate to 'true knowledge' in my opinion. This topic is all about opinion and how our beliefs affect our world view and our interaction with others. Beliefs of cosmic consequences (and I lump atheism into this category), which drive our behavior patterns are judged for their value, to the whole. Their personal value is of little consequence to the collective.

Beliefs which result in behavior patterns which gloss over personal arrogance, impatience with other views, condescending comments toward other views and general rudeness explained away by belief that those with opposing views are somehow lacking in intelligence simply because they disagree are as useless, in my mind, as those which attempt to convince us disagreement will somehow void our chances in participating in an afterlife. Both drive discord. Both strive to create resentment. Neither contributes positively to the harmony of human interaction and both seek to limit freedom of conscience.

So, to me, claiming knowledge on cosmic issues serves no useful purpose to one's fellow man and attempts to create discord by those who insist on claiming it should be met with resistance.

Emile
                  As you say, your personal value of your opinion has no value and I would think that you will not find anyone here who disagrees with that.
                  I wish you well

1. profile image0

Thanks for proving my point Sooo succinctly.

3. sibtain bukhari profile image60

Rad Man,you mean Atheism is ''belief'' of absence of GOD,this is what I have been saying that Atheism is actually a ''religion'' having ''belief'' of ''absence of GOD'' but makes a false claim of ''lack of belief'' or ''lack of knowledge'',so, you admitted my point of view,my proposition is upon the basis of Atheist's claim,that logically never conclude the impossibility of GOD,consequently,GOD is possible as claimed by ATHEISTS.You must not angree  upon it.

1. profile image0

Atheism
      "disbelief in the existence of God or gods."

I'm not sure how you get from the above definition to your statement?

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
        Paul Wingertposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Atheism is not a belief, it's conclusion. Plain and simple!

2. cjhunsinger profile image61

I think you are trying to make a point here, but your passion to do so, is interfering with your skills.
      I think it is said that only the fool in his heart would claim that a god/gods do not exist. I would agree with that. One would have to be enormously foolish to claim, as a truth, what he does not know, but merely believes. As an Atheist and one who does not possess a knowledge of existence, of the universe to know what is or is not out there, so I cannot categorically say that gods do not exist. Simply to state a truth on a belief is wrong, would you not agree?
      Would it be equally true for one to assert a truth, when one equally shares an absence of knowledge of the universe to say categorically that a god/gods exist? Is he not the foolish one,  as well? Can one say that one god exists, two, three or an entire pantheon of gods, as believed by the Greeks and others. Can you prove that only one god exists or is that simply what you want to believe? Do those who believe in two gods find you an atheist, because you do not believe in two gods?
      I am Atheistic, because I accept one less god then you. I  believe this, not because I can prove that a god does not exist, but that it is unreasonable to accept, as a fact that one does exist. If you wish to call the exercise of reason a religion, you are certainly free to do so and if you choose to believe in a god or gods, again you are free to do so.
      We still have in this country a freedom of religion, but all thing pass, but in the mean time I support your exercise of belief and I do not condemn you for it, as Atheism has no provision for such condemnation, as is in religious belief.
      That you endear a deity belief, would you deny my freedom not to believe? Would you prefer to live under a religious mandate, as opposed to the Bill of Rights. If you choose a religious mandate would Islam be acceptable,  certainly there are more muslims then Christians and  does that not make it a greater truth? Judaism is much older than Chriatianity, should we not all be Jews. Should we just decide by ourselves without an attempt to intimidate others or to burn people alive or cut off their heads. What if we just used our god given talent to reason to decide,  after all The Founding Fathers did, but a theocracy does not see it that way. Which way would you like?

4. sibtain bukhari profile image60

cjhunsinger ,Would you please ,explain why this statement is not rational in light of your ''wisdom''?

You state that Atheism is a lack of knowledge. That Is an irrational statement and that is the foundation for your attempt at logic/. Your encounter with Atheists may be limited to what is said here on hub pages. From what I have read from other Atheists  here leads me to think that they, most certainly, possess a high degree of  knowledge. This, without any other reference, makes the point of an irrational statement.
      Now, that it would seem that you are in disagreement with me, perhaps, you can show that Atheists/Atheism is an absence or lack of knowledge. I am sure that you are a student of epistemology and would have no problem with a reasonable explanation, Atheism is lacking in knowledge.
      If you would like to test me, with reference to my knowledge concerning any theistic practice, (god belief) the bible (any), the Torah, the Koran and their origins, perhaps Atheism itself. By the way the practice of Atheism predates any of these god beliefs.
      I do await your reasoning.

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
        Paul Wingertposted 9 years agoin reply to this

He doesn't have any reasoning. Just likes to make up excuses and BS.

5. sibtain bukhari profile image60

cjhunsinger ,Rad Man ,I think you both have not understood my point of argument,I am not questioning the'' individual knowledge'' of Atheists,I am questioning the ''claim of the Atheists'' that ''Atheism is lack of knowledge or lack of belief of gods'',and even ''disbelief of gods'' does not mean ''belief of absence of gods'',consequently , the foundation of Atheism is that as we have no knowledge of gods,therefore, we must not have belief of gods,this is conclusion from lack of knowledge,Atheism does not claim for perfect knowledge of absence of gods,hence,the same in light of its own definitions never rules out the possibility of GOD,It rules out only ''knowledge of GOD'',in other words,as I have understood,Atheism is ''absence of knowledge'' and not ''absence of GOD'',therefore,a true atheist can never claim that GOD is impossible or GOD is absent,he only claims that he has no knowledge of GOD,therefore,he has no belief of GOD.

sibtain
      Thank you for the clarification, but I do not think that all is clear. I think that you are confusing the words, knowledge and belief. Atheism, by any definition, is not a  lack of knowledge or understanding; it is a dismissal, not of the gods, as for the Atheist there is nothing to dismiss here, but rather a dismissal of the claims that a god or gods exist.
      I cannot categorically say that gods do not exist, as I do not possess a knowledge that encompasses all that is contained in or outside of the universe and either do you. You assert that gods exist because you want too, for a myriad of reasons and none have anything to do with knowledge, but rather the need to believe.
      For me, as one who embraces an Atheistic philosophy, the belief in gods violates my sense of reason, as there  is no evidence to conclude that gods exist,  only belief that they do and this is unacceptable to my mind.
      That you believe in a god is good for you and no harm is done. The harm is done when there is a condemnation of those who do not believe in "your" god. For Christianity dogma is established to mandate the adherence of belief, as in a Bible and more particularly something called 'The Ten Commandments' where by 'unbelievers' are punished, simply for being human, And this is a humanity created by this god, to punish? For Jews, and for Muslims, they too,  have there laws of adherence and all others are non-believers. This mentality has been, is and  always will be a  means and reason to subjugate others. That you believe in a god would you prefer a theocracy, which bans all  other gods  and people like me. In Christianity this was accomplished and it was called the Dark Ages, when brutal savagery, ignorance and absolute intolerance ruled Europe. Islam is no different and no less savage and ignorant.
      To respond to your, "therefore,a true atheist can never claim that GOD is impossible." Is it then that a true believer can say that gods absolutely exist and they exist by my definition  alone?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)